Dog ramp advice??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jymbee

Can't seem to find much searching here...
We need a dog ramp to help our 45 lb. dog enter our Class A more easily. He just doesn't do well with open steps plus he's not quite as spritely as he used to be (who is??).

Ideally a folding aluminum type about 8 feet long. See a number of ads for such a thing but would appreciate some input/advice from others who have already purchased and used a ramp they like and could recommend.

I bet it might be cheaper and easier to find a local dog trainer who could train your dog to enter the RV. I bet a good trainer could do it in one session.

We have used this for 5 yrs for our german sheppard about 100 lbs . Has held up good .
I only use it on the 2 exterior steps and she hops up the interior 2 steps.

https://www.chewy.com/solvit-deluxe-telescoping-pet-ramp/dp/53678

Attachments

• 20160308_180120-1024x576small.jpg
    20160308_180120-1024x576small.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 78
We've had 2 different ramps. The first one was similar but shorter, I had put it in the rear of the truck bed. I normally store it up close to the cab.  The wind coming off the cap of the 5th wheel sucked it out.  I like this one better anyway.  It's the $65 one
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B003IWYPXK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They also come as free standing, extra wide, reflective and more.

How about you look at this page
Lowe's

Several ideas. Some are not going to work as they are "Open" designs. Most are wide enough but you might go with the wood end pieces and a 2x12. A hinge in the middle can be added to teh 2x12 and it shoudl still support the dog. (Use a good "Barn door" grade hinge).

SeilerBird said:
I bet it might be cheaper and easier to find a local dog trainer who could train your dog to enter the RV. I bet a good trainer could do it in one session.

I should have mentioned that our dog is more than willing to try and climb up, but he has some legacy issues with his hind quarters. Repaired a cruciate ligament some years ago and while he came out of it like a new dog-- and still bounces around like he's a two year old-- he just doesn't do well on stairs in general.

I wanted his first exposure to the RV to be without issues so I set up some heavy 2 by planks that I use elsewhere and put some non slip carpeting on that. He looked at it for awhile, then just climbed right up and went in.

Next step is to get him and his cat acclimated to the various noises while parked-- engine & generator running. They both love to travel in our van but I think I need to break them in gradually (in the driveway) before taking off on our first extended trip.

Coincidentally since posting I remembered that we have several car aluminum car ramps in storage. I'll take a look at those and see if there's an easy way to adapt them to use.

John From Detroit said:
How about you look at this page
Lowe's

Several ideas. Some are not going to work as they are "Open" designs. Most are wide enough but you might go with the wood end pieces and a 2x12. A hinge in the middle can be added to teh 2x12 and it shoudl still support the dog. (Use a good "Barn door" grade hinge).

Robert K said:
We have used this for 5 yrs for our german sheppard about 100 lbs . Has held up good .

We have the same one and it has held up well for 3-years, despite being run over in the drive way by our previous travel trailer.  We use it for us and our two large Akitas to get in and out of our truck camper when we have it on the truck.  Highly recommend it.

SeilerBird said:

The OP also indicated his dog has some physical considerations.  So in addition to a trainer not being able to help with physical limitations, it is also highly doubtful you can get a trainer for less than a good ramp.

After looking at some DYI options and the ramp mentioned by UnclKracker I ended up ordering this one. Initially thought an 8 foot ramp would be ideal but after some experimenting I think he'll do fine with this 6 foot model.

Thanks for the input!

Robert K said:

Not to mention the fact that if there was a training option, I'd be more than capable of doing that myself. Hired a trainer once when we first got the dog. After only a few minutes it was obvious to me that was a waste of $$$. Since then I've handled all the training. Not to say of course that in some circumstances a professional trainer might be the best option, but for your "general obedience" type stuff I think a calm patient owner can do just as well as many claiming to be trainers.

Gizmo said:
The OP also indicated his dog has some physical considerations.  So in addition to a trainer not being able to help with physical limitations, it is also highly doubtful you can get a trainer for less than a good ramp.

Do to your dog's physical abilities, this probably won't do you any good, but may help others. Some dogs do well on doorsteps or steps in the house, but balk at RV steps. Some have found it's due to the steps being open at the back. They closed the area and then their dogs had no issues.

kdbgoat said:
Do to your dog's physical abilities, this probably won't do you any good, but may help others. Some dogs do well on doorsteps or steps in the house, but balk at RV steps. Some have found it's due to the steps being open at the back. They closed the area and then their dogs had no issues.

I don't know if you were talking about the steps I mentioned (reply #11) but these steps are closed in the back.

Rene T said:
I don't know if you were talking about the steps I mentioned (reply #11) but these steps are closed in the back.

Nope, standard type RV steps in general.

This is a timely topic... our lab mix (knocking on the door of 15 years old) also has step issues due to rear hip problems and a bit of general anxiety about the steep, open steps. Not only that, but both last year and this year one of her rear claws got caught/torn in one of the "step holes" and caused substantial bleeding. She only weighs about 35 lbs so we can lift her in and out of the RV easily enough, but she really dislikes being carried.

It does seem like a ramp would be easy enough to make with some 2x4's and textured material attached, but I guess easier portability is what the manufactured items offer.

I have a dog that while I hate to admit it... he isn't that smart and has a few fears. He is a big chocolate lab/Chesapeake Bay, weighing around 125 pounds now and 10 years old. He has been having increasing issues with climbing. We got him a ramp to get into our Explorer that we used to have, but he was too scared to use it. We have recently traded in our 2013 Explorer for a 2016 F150 SuperCrew for pulling our new 2019 Highland Ridge - Mesa Ridge 2410RL travel trailer. He has an easier time getting into the truck than he did the Explorer but he has a fear of our trailer steps. He is able to go up and down stairs in our house but the stairs to our trailer are just too scary for him.  I know we are idiots for allowing our dogs on our bed, but he has issues climbing up there, so we got some portable stairs, but again he is too scared to climb them. It seems like we are just wasting money trying to accommodate him. I'm not sure if there is a solution but decided to see if anyone has a similar issue with their dog. Our 9-year-old female black lab is a bit smarter and still leaps and climbs, but she too is developing arthritis, making her not quite as spry as she once was.

Welcome to the RV Forum RonRN18

Our little Gizmo had trouble with our TT steps. I bought some cheap covers from Walmart to wrap around the steps and it worked wonders.

Our dog is approaching 14 years old and starting to have trouble jumping up. We got a couple sets of doggy stairs to help him out, but he was afraid to use them. A few training sessions with plenty of dog treats was all it took.

While this is an old thread. I appreciate it. I have a Shih Tzu that is blind from diabetes. She didn't like the RV steps before going blind and now won't even attempt them. Our other Shih Tzu doesn't care for the RV steps either. She generally jumps to the middle step and jumps into the camper. She has no trouble coming out, but hates to go up. The ramps are an excellent idea. I'll have to research that some more. I will also look into covering the back of the steps and see if that helps the one that can see. We currently carry the blind one up and down the steps.
Thanks for the thread. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom