dogs nail is bleeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rene T

Site Team
We always cut our dogs nails but today, we cut one a little short and it's bleeding.  It stops after a while of holding a paper towel on it but he either licks it or scratches himself and it starts bleeding again. Any home remedies which will help? We are now trying sugar in a small ZipLock bag. Idea from our neighbor.

Rene T said:
We always cut our dogs nails but today, we cut one a little short and it's bleeding.  It stops after a while of holding a paper towel on it but he either licks it or scratches himself and it starts bleeding again. Any home remedies which will help? We are now trying sugar in a small ZipLock bag. Idea from our neighbor.

The local drug store should have stop bleed powder. There is also a product for pets you may find at a pet store

If I tried cutting Rusty's nails, I wouldn't need to worry about his nails bleeding, I would worry about when my arms would stop bleeding.

Did the same with my 80 lb. Walker Hound (a wonderful, well behaved breed). But, he hates getting his nails cut. He jerked hard causing me to clip way too much. Didn't want to drive to Petsmart. And, besides, he will lick off anything I put on. So, I put on some cornmeal powder (any flour will work) to help with coagulation.  Then I put a small baggy with a little more powder in it on his paw and wrapped the top with some athletic tape. I made him wear it for a couple of hours. That worked just fine.

I learned my lesson and now only clip his nails with another person there to hold his paws steady. I always give him a nice treat each time after the deed is done. Now both dog and I are happy. But, I do think I should get a treat too after the job is done. 

Wooden match ~  Light it and when going well  BLOW IT OUT ~  touch hot match to wounded nail briefly to cauterize. Works well ~ Fast ~ Dog does not seem bothered.

JM2?  ~~  YMMV.

Baking soda. I always keep Stop Quick with me on travels. It is basically steptic pencil in powder. I bought about 30 years ago! Thankfully have not used often.

We used the flour trick and it stopped the bleeding. The problem is when he runs or licks it is when it start again. So far, knock on wood, it's been about 3 hours since the last blood bath.
Thanks everyone for your ideas.

Now might be a good time to check out one of the grinding type nail trimmers....... We use one on our Gizmo....He hates it less than the nail clippers. But we've never drawn blood.

Everyone has mentioned the remedies we used when that happened... two different times, when our dog's nail got caught on the metal RV steps. She wasn't hurt but it made a huge mess alright. Of course when camping, it was always late at night when it happened and we never had any of that baking stuff with us! Now we bought a small container of styptic powder to have handy for those instances.

I don't know if Walmart carries a bandage tape that sticks to itself.  I know Tractor Supply should have it.  That and a wad of cotton should work to wrap it up and stop the dog from worrying it.  If not,they can wear a cone that all dogs and owners love so much.

Hope it's better.

I have three dogs - two Collies and a mini Aussie. All of them hate having their nails trimmed, especially since I use a Dremel to grind them down after clipping as much as I think is possible without catching the vein. They dislike the sound and the heat on the nail when a Dremel is used. But inevitably, I'll miss and the blood will start flowing, sometimes with the clippers and sometimes with the Dremel, believe it or not. Those black nails can be difficult to judge. Depending on how much into the vein the clipping has gone will determine how difficult it will be to get it to stop.

When the bleeding is at its worst, we have tried everything - stypic pencils usually won't work on dog nails because you need to stick the end of the pencil into the area that is bleeding, and that usually isn't possible. We have tried baking soda as an alternative and if it isn't bleeding too fast, that will work. Sometimes flour will work. We have tried holding ice to the nail, in and out of a baggie, and sometimes that works, as it did today when I got one of the Aussie's nails a bit too close.

But on three occasions with three different dogs over the years, we have had bleeders that simply wouldn't stop, even after holding ice on the nail for over an hour. The first time this happened, I called my vet after 2 hours and asked if there was anything they would do that I hadn't already tried. They told me if nothing else works, use a tourniquet on the leg, leaving it on until the bleeding stops but no longer than 30 minutes, to avoid damage to the leg below the tourniquet. I have found that using that along with ice seems to do the trick when nothing else will. It is important to keep the dog as calm and still as possible when you're trying to get the bleeding to stop. Keep its blood pressure down as much as possible.

I trust you have already got the nail to stop bleeding, but I thought I would share my experience for the next time it happens.

John Stephens said:
I trust you have already got the nail to stop bleeding, but I thought I would share my experience for the next time it happens.

yes we did get it to stop by using flower. Thanks for the ideas. Not sure if I'd want to try the tourniquet method.

Old_Crow said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54sZ8TFFAmY
My mum had to remove me from the movie theatre as I was bawling my eyes out when Bambi's mum was killed. Not sure if I was even 5. Great movie....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lmw
Back
Top Bottom