dolly for moving camper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

merritt53

has anyone tried /use a dolly to unload the camper on /and move , considering that vs a high enough door on my new garage

Yes. I had a very light TC that I move around on four custom built dollies. One under each jack. I doubled up 3/4 '' plywood 12'' x 12'square'. Mounted 4 steel swivel casters on each plywood pad. Just make sure the jacks are securely attached to camper. There is a lot of stress on the jack mount when the camper is still at truck bed height and your trying to roll it around.
Hope this helps, Tom

I?d like to see how that door is operating after a year or so. Removing that header in my opinion was not a good idea. It was there to support the front wall and the roof. Also the doors are different than the other door so to me it looks a little tacky. I would have built some casters and lowered the camper on them like Tom said earlier.

Rene T said:
I?d like to see how that door is operating after a year or so. Removing that header in my opinion was not a good idea. It was there to support the front wall and the roof. Also the doors are different than the other door so to me it looks a little tacky. I would have built some casters and lowered the camper on them like Tom said earlier.
Yeah, maybe, depends on the constrution.  I know the endwalls in my 36X40 building don't support anything but the siding.  I had to enlarge the center overhead door opening in my building to accomodate our motorhome.  I cut the opening and had the overhead door company come in and add a custom section.  Went from a 10 ft. high opening to 12 ft.

I don't think I would put Dollys under the jack feet.  My idea would be to make a platform on wheels.  Then it will depend on the surface you have to move on.  When I had any of my TC's the surface was grass or gravel, so not sure any dolly would have worked.  If flat and no lip some hard composition wheels should be OK, if any kind of lip, like driveway to garage floor, you would need a softer composition. 

Putting the legs on a dolly unless all dolly was solid just sounds like an invitation to disaster.  Maybe steel with X tinning goners might work OK? 

I agree with Bill. I wouldn't put the wheels under the jacks. I've never seen any jacks that would handle much lateral load. They are designed for vertical loads.

I would build a 4X8 angle iron frame with a floor of 3/4 inch plywood and put at least 6 wheels under it.

Depending on the surface you'll be moving it on will determine what type of wheels you need. Also where and how far you have to move it will determine if you can move it by just pushing or pulling on the camper or if you'll have to have a tow bar.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom