Dometic fridge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

artlp

Thank you all who replied to my post:) very helpful.
Now , does anyone know what is the current draw " amps" of a 12v. fridge? or power " watts " of those units?
In case I decide to go that route. Or I might go with 110V and install a converter???
Waiting for a reply from Cooling unit warehouse.
Thank you all

Thank you all who replied to my post:) very helpful.
Now , does anyone know what is the current draw " amps" of a 12v. fridge? or power " watts " of those units?
In case I decide to go that route. Or I might go with 110V and install a converter???
Waiting for a reply from Cooling unit warehouse.
Thank you all
I assume you meant "install an inverter".

Converter: Produces 12 volts from 110V input.
Inverter: Produces 110V from 12V (battery) input.

The average RV refrigerator uses a heating element that consumes 325 Watts. At 12V, the element would draw 27 amps to provide 325 watts of heat. (P=power, E = Voltage, I = current). Power formula : P= I x E.
Current (I): I = P/E or 325watts/12volts = 27.08 amps

Are you asking about a 12v compressor driven fridge or an RV absorption fridge? RV absorption fridges typically use 12v only for the controller board and interior light, though a few "3-way" models offer a 12v heater option. A typical DC heater element is 12-18 amps. The values that Regval gave would be for the 120v heater element and AC amps. That's relevent if powering an absorption fridge in 120vac mode via an inverter.

A compressor driven fridge, whether 120v or 12v, has a much different power demand, so you need to be clear about what fridge you are considering.

I see in your other posts that you have a Dometic NDR1292, so its an absorption fridge. Are you looking at replacing that models cooling unit with the same type but using 120vac mode exclusively? Or maybe having the cooling unit converted to a 12v compressor type ? JC Refrigeration offers conversions for various models.

Last edited:
Are you asking about a 12v compressor driven fridge or an RV absorption fridge? RV absorption fridges typically use 12v only for the controller board and interior light, though a few "3-way" models offer a 12v heater option. A typical DC heater element is 12-18 amps. The values that Regval gave would be for the 120v heater element and AC amps. That's relevent if powering an absorption fridge in 120vac mode via an inverter.

A compressor driven fridge, whether 120v or 12v, has a much different power demand, so you need to be clear about what fridge you are considering.

I see in your other posts that you have a Dometic NDR1292, so its an absorption fridge. Are you looking at replacing that models cooling unit with the same type but using 120vac mode exclusively? Or maybe having the cooling unit converted to a 12v compressor type ? JC Refrigeration offers conversions for various models.
I'm thinking of a 12v or 120v compressor types and do away with propane altogether.
We don't do backwoods camping and would only need an inverter " if we go to 120v " while travelling.
Otherwise, would be connected to "shore" power when staying anywhere else.
Many newer RV"s " motorhomes" are strictly 120v with a fairly high power inverter to run everything
ie: microwave,tv, and some wall pluginsetc...

Back
Top Bottom