Dometic refrigerator check light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nobleweiss2

Hello! We have a situation. Our Dometic refrigerator works great. That is on propane until we hook into shore power. Then the check light comes on. Resetting it and checked the breaker box. All ok. Turned the fridge off, pulled the outside panel off and the pilot flame was still running. Had to shut the main tanks all the way off and burn through the residual propane in the lines to get the pilot off. Meanwhile the rv is still on shore power. So now everything is off. I start the fridge on again. No problem. Turn on the tanks. No problem. Why are we having to do this every time we plug in? The fridge is set to automatic. Never had trouble before. The coach is just going on 3 years old! Any thoughts? Do we need a replacement of some sort? Thank you!

Update... woke up this morning. I can hear the fridge pilot on but check light came on. Not hooked to shore power.  Went through the whole purge the line thing again. Everything ok. What is going on? Any thoughts? The pilot light seems to get stuck on.

What model Dometic fridge? Propane only, or is it AC/LP or AC/DC/LP?  Most models auto-switch to 120v mode when shore power is present. If it doesn't switch, it means the control board cannot sense the 120v. That usually means either there is no 120v power to the fridge, or the fuse for the AC heater has blown. The latter often means the AC heater has burned out.

RV fridges haven't used a pilot light since the mid-1980's (they are all DSI now), so am thinking you are talking about the LP burner rather than a pilot.  It's a very small flame and many folks mistake it for a pilot light.

Sorry I grew up having to light the pilot light for my parents trailer, but yes it's a very small automatic flame. It's LP/ electric.  It works fine most the time, but it has just started having a problem switching between gas and electric I guess. Today I came home and the check light was on again. Just on gas. Not on electric. I reset it by turning the fridge off then on again. It lit but went out. I reset it again and it click click clicked for a bit then stayed on.

The usual suspects:

Bad electrical connection wherever there?s a spade connector.  Check them all for corrosion
Debris on the burner. (Weak flame)
Spider web in the mixing tube before the burner.  (Weak flame)
Low gas pressure. (Weak flame)

But since it fails in both modes number 1 is the most likely IMHO.

The check light is probably failure of the burner to light - see 8Muddypaws suggestions. But that doesn't explain why it doesn't switch to AC electric mode, or why the LP mode fails only when shore power is active.  You need to do some checking on both the 120vac and 12vdc voltages to the fridge to sort that out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom