Dometic Refrigerator Recall NHTSA # 06E07600

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ron

Moderator Emeritus
A recall was issued today on the following Dometic two door refrigerators manufactured between April 1997 and May 2003  Models Affected: 

NDR1062  RM2652    RM2662  RM2663  RM2852  RM2862  RM3662  RM3663  RM3862  RM3863

These refrigerators were installed as original equipment and sold as aftermarket equipment.  Reason for recall is that a fatigue crack may develop in the boiler tube which could release a sufficient amount of pressurized coolant solution into an area where an ignition source is present which could possibly ignite and result in a fire.

According to the recall Dometic will install a secondary burner housing free of charge.  The recall is expected to begin between April and June 2007.

Additional info is available at http://www.nhtsa.gov      Also  Dometic can be contacted  at 888-446-5157 .

Fortunately or Dometic in the Eagle is not affected by this recall.

Thanks Ron,
I don't know if our refrigerator is affected by recall or not yet but our refrigerator p/n is one of those listed.  I did call the Dometic hot line you listed.  It indicates that the recall information will be sent out soon and it allows one to record their name, address and telephone number so that Dometic can send a copy of the recall to you.

Ron, Found this on NHTSA web site:

Make : DOMETIC Model : RM2652 Build Dates : APR 01, 1997 - MAY 31, 2003
Manufacturer : DOMETIC CORPORATION 
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 06E076000  Recall Date : AUG 28, 2006
Component: EQUIPMENT:RECREATIONAL VEHICLE
Potential Number Of Units Affected : 926877
Summary:
CERTAIN DOMETIC TWO-DOOR REFRIGERATORS MANUFACTURED BETWEEN APRIL 1997 AND MAY 2003: SERIAL NOS. 713XXXXX THROUGH 752XXXXX; 801XXXXX THROUGH 852XXXXX; 901XXXXX THROUGH 952XXXXX; 001XXXXX THROUGH 052XXXXX; 101XXXXX THROUGH 152XXXXX; 201XXXXX THROUGH 252XXXXX; 301XXXXX THROUGH 319XXXXX, INSTALLED IN CERTAIN RECREATIONAL VEHICLES AS ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT AND SOLD AS AFTERMARKET EQUIPMENT. A FATIGUE CRACK MAY DEVELOP IN THE BOILER TUBE WHICH MAY RELEASE A SUFFICIENT AMOUNT OF PRESSURIZED COOLANT SOLUTION INTO AN AREA WHERE AN IGNITION SOURCE (GAS FLAME) IS PRESENT.

and:
Make : DOMETIC Model : RM2852 Build Dates : APR 01, 1997 - MAY 31, 2003
Manufacturer : DOMETIC CORPORATION 
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 06E076000  Recall Date : AUG 28, 2006
Component: EQUIPMENT:RECREATIONAL VEHICLE
Potential Number Of Units Affected : 926877
Summary:
CERTAIN DOMETIC TWO-DOOR REFRIGERATORS MANUFACTURED BETWEEN APRIL 1997 AND MAY 2003: SERIAL NOS. 713XXXXX THROUGH 752XXXXX; 801XXXXX THROUGH 852XXXXX; 901XXXXX THROUGH 952XXXXX; 001XXXXX THROUGH 052XXXXX; 101XXXXX THROUGH 152XXXXX; 201XXXXX THROUGH 252XXXXX; 301XXXXX THROUGH 319XXXXX, INSTALLED IN CERTAIN RECREATIONAL VEHICLES AS ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT AND SOLD AS AFTERMARKET EQUIPMENT. A FATIGUE CRACK MAY DEVELOP IN THE BOILER TUBE WHICH MAY RELEASE A SUFFICIENT AMOUNT OF PRESSURIZED COOLANT SOLUTION INTO AN AREA WHERE AN IGNITION SOURCE (GAS FLAME) IS PRESENT.

Terry:

Is that why we get to but new cooling units?

This has been around for some time and has seemed to take a long time for Dometic to come up with a recall plan with NHTSA, especially if its a serious saftey issue.

I had been in contact with Dometic in past over this as I am one of the affected ones. 

If it involves the gas part of the unit, it would seem to me they would have to replace the entire refrig, but from this latest posting it appears they would just only replace the secondary boiler unit. Is that possible?

If I am a fire danger maybe you all might not want to park near me if I come to Quartzsite this year!

Bob

Jeff

<<Is that why we get to but new cooling units?<<

Give them a few more years & they will have a recall for the side X side models.

My Dometic Refrigerator s/n fits in the range of those being recalled, but it is a side-by-side refrigerator.  My question is, does the term "two-door refrigerator" include "side-by-sides" (mine has two doors also)?  I thought the terms "top freezer" or "bottom freezer" were used to describe refrigerators that weren't side-by-side.  There is no mention of side-by-sides in the Dometic Recall that I could find but there is no exclusion of them either.  Not a well-worded recall as I see it.  :p

I would think that if the model number and the S/N fits then I would think it is included and if it were me I would be giving them a call using the phone number listed in the recal for Dometic.  They don't mention side by side or top and bottom doors they just mention two door.  IMHO either is two doors so they would be both be included. 

Karl said:
Ron,
I believe you're right. The Dometic site refers to double door as both top/bottom or side-by-side. Single door units have the freezer section inside the refrigerator section.

Yes, I have top and bottom door and I am in the recall according to Dometic.

Does anyone have an opinion about them being able to just replace the secondary boiler without replacing the entire sealed unit???????

Our Dometic side X side is a Model NDR1292 which I did not see in the recall.

My Dometic model is on the list, but my serial number is not.  I suspect my unit was manufactured in late 2004 or early 2005.

If they didn't know they had this problem 3.5 years ago, what would they have changed in the middle of a model's production that would have fixed it?  That is, why would the same model produced after May, 2003, be better than one produced before?  I'm guessing they've set the cutoff date based on estimated fatigue life and that they may have to recall later units in a subsequent recall in the future.

mfa said:
My Dometic model is on the list, but my serial number is not.  I suspect my unit was manufactured in late 2004 or early 2005.

If they didn't know they had this problem 3.5 years ago, what would they have changed in the middle of a model's production that would have fixed it?  That is, why would the same model produced after May, 2003, be better than one produced before?  I'm guessing they've set the cutoff date based on estimated fatigue life and that they may have to recall later units in a subsequent recall in the future.

Good question.  I suggest you call Dometic and ask that question.  Hopefully you will followup here with their answer.

MFA,

That's not too surprising. Most mfg's make engineering changes along the way, switch materials, parts suppliers, production techniques, etc. during a model lifetime production run.  Without knowing the actual failure mode, you don't know what caused it, but they do, and chances are slim that they'll tell you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom