Dometic RM 3862 Cooling unit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Texan

Have a leaking cooling unit and wondering what is the best remanufactured unit available?
RV cooling unit warehouse has the Amish unit for $495 with $100 rebate

also need an Atwood 8940-111-DCLP furnace ignition board and RV warehouse also  sell there Dinasour board for $86...

comments appreciated

The Amish unit is highly regarded, though it has not been in use in RVs long enough to have a well-established track record.

I think it is as important to have proper installation as to have a high quality unit. There are two major concerns when installing an absorption cooling unit: (1) the bonding of the new cooling unit to the fridge case  and (2) proper sealing around the "box" and maintaining factory-spec clearances when re-installing the fridge in  the RV. An absorption fridge is very sensitive to both of these.

If I were replacing a cooling unit, I would probably choose the Amish (Pines Refrigeration) brand and go to the factory in Shipshewanna, IN, to have it installed.  I just don't have much confidence in replacements done by typical RV techs and the function is too critical - and too expensive - to gamble. Factory installation is reasonably priced - about $300, depending on model.

Just an update, replaced the cooling unit with one of the Amish units, had a hard time getting the old unit out as it was really stuck but after a lot of prying and digging out a lot of the old foam it finally turned loose. Install was straight forward but suggest you take a lot of pictures as you disassemble. It started cooling in about 30 minutes and now is working just great.

The furnace problem turned out to be the spark electrodes, I did buy one of the Dinasaur boards and now  I have a spare and I am alright with that as the price was $75 and it is a beautifully built board.

i have tried several remanufactured cooling units from different companys, i say no names but price is 2/3rds of a new unit, my experience is you get what you pay for. I recommed new one from Manufactures, you get solid warranty and not refurbished / the cost and long life is your decision.  Dinosour makes good replacment style board resonably priced but they are not fenwall friendly or pal compatable for diagnostics , oh by yhe way always Thermal-Mastic and good sealing permagum ,,,,  Good Luck !!    Rodney  ,,,,  ;)

Agree with Rodney - re-manufactured cooling units are a gamble. I would not use one. But I would buy a new cooling unit from a company that manufactures new ones, though not necessarily from the fridge manufacturer itself.

I appreciate all advice and did a lot of research before making the decision to buy the remanufactured unit. Price ended up to be $395 with rebate and was far cheaper than new units . The remanufactured units use all new tubing and insulation and come with a 3 year warranty. Reviews were all good and unit received was new looking as far as I could see and started up and working great. Cooling units are sealed and no working parts so I don't know what could possibly go wrong except for heat stress causing a leak which was what happened to the once NEW unit.

Good luck with it. Follow the installation instructions carefully - getting the cooling unit properly bonded to the fridge "box" and re-insulating/sealing around it is every bit as important as the new hardware.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
metsman5
Back
Top Bottom