Done my taxes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DougJ

Easter weekend usually means personal income tax time for me.

I'm pleased to say that the 2004 year is done even before the first of April.

Our Canadian deadline is April 30th, but IIRC yours, south of the border, is April 15.

Hope you're ready for this annual challenge :)

Ciao,

Doug

Are you using software to do your taxes?  We ordered Quiktax and had it shipped to our home in Central Florida. 

Where are you located in CDA Doug?  Our home is now in our Nation's Capital.

Ned sent ours to the accountant/friend a long time ago and has already received our copy back, the original filed and paid the accountant/friend.

I use QuickTax Platinum; have done so for several years now.  In fact, I have left the programs for years 2001 through 2004, inclusive, installed on my desktop.

The Platinum version is probably more than I need; I do need something to help me file my small business operation.

I live in Sechelt, BC, on the Sunshine Coast.  I'm hoping that when Tom does his Banzai trip up to BC, he'll include the sunshine Coast on his route.

Incidentally, it strikes me that when framily travel, many of them travel in Banzai mode.  I'm following Jim D.'s current travels, and I just shake my head.  If he saw roses, he'd stop to photograph them, but I'm not sure he'd stop to smell them :).

When my wife and I travel, 400km is a big day, and more often than not we would not travel the next day.  Different strokes for . . . . ;)

Ciao,

Doug

Lorna, with the tax software, it seems that they are still issuing updates through March.  On occasion I've tried to do mine really early and couldn't print the documents (the print mode was locked out) because the QuickTax folk had not yet got approval from RevCan on some of the forms.

However, it's always nice to get that little chore out of the way.

Doug

Doug,

Our return is filed electronically so changes in the forms don't matter.  The tax laws are set already.  I do use TurboTax for a check on my estimates, but my CPA always does better than the program.

Our return is filed electronically so changes in the forms don't matter.

I could file mine electronically, Ned,  if I so chose, but I continue to choose to file paper.  (I let them store the receipts :).)

but my CPA always does better than the program.

I neither t ask nor expect QuickTax to find the loopholes savings, etc.  I like to look around for those myself, knowing that I'll never push the envelope. 

Ciao,

Doug

Well done.  Ours are ready to go - with the exception of one small item.  Thank goodness for Turbo Tax!

Our return is fairly complex, with schedules A,B,C and D plus several others. ?I expect I'll have a CPA doing my returns until we simplify the tax code (yeh, right  ::) ).

Well, don't hold your breath for tax simplification.  Here in Canada, every now and then that idea surfaces in parliament--and our return documents are no where as confusing as yours :), I do believe.

Fortunately, my tax return is pretty straight forward.  As a good deed I do the return for a lady who is now in her eighties.  Going on twenty years ago, I heard her German heritage husband (they lived across from us) mumbling about he hadn't done their tax return and, as I recall, there was only a day or two left.  I said, Fred, I don't want to pry, but if you let me have your apple box of papers I'm sure I can do it for you this evening. 

He came over and I sat him in our living room, put on Mendelssohn's Psalms, sung in German which he could understand, and told him I'd be back.  Well, it took me more than that one CD to get it done, but I did it; what stymied for a short while was how to treat their investment portfolio--new stuff to me because I don't have any investments.  Ever since then, I've done their returns; unfortunately, Fred is now dead, but I continue to do her tax return every year. 

Ciao,

Doug

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom