Donner Pass took my transmission 🤣

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CatLightning

Well, we made it from Georgia to Sacramento, CA 🙌. My 20 yr old Ford Explorer Sport Trac did SO well, but I could tell she was tired after we came back down from Lake Cascade, Idaho. Even then, she didn't complain!
But, oh Donner Pass did it! She got us to the top, and then cried a river 🤣.
Even then, she got us home to Sacramento! 🎉🎈🎊
Already had her transmission rebuilt 🤙. Gonna do a fuel injection system cleaning, and she'll be super happy again 💪.
Sometimes, you just love 😍 a truck!
She won't be towing anymore..time for the quiet life for this Ford 😊.

I have had two engines break a rod going downhill from Donner summit. The tow truck driver said he sees such happen there often, always when going downhill. His theory was after climbing up to the summit if puts pressure in to the rods. That strain will usually not cause a rod to break. But then suddenly going down hill, the rods are stretched outward and that is when they break.

This was all many years ago. Perhaps today's engines / rods are stronger.

FWIW, my buddy here in Reno also blew a tranny on the way to Donner Summit in his Ford Explorer, going east at around 5K elevation. Not quite to the 7,240' summit.

I am over Donner Summit a lot, between here and Auburn. But I have no trannys to blow out. I mostly drive EVs to Auburn and back, even if a motorcycle. I own five EVs and they don't have trannys. BTW, did you notice the FREE to use CCS chargers at the Downer Area Rest Stops (both directions)?

I love to see those high gas prices!! :) . Until I am in my RV . . . .(n)

FWIW my 2022 RV will be the last gas engine vehicle I buy for the rest of my life. That is a promise!

-Don- Reno, NV

Last edited:
So that means you won't be traveling when PG&E blacks out or brown out's most of the state huh??..>>>Dan
You mean when all the gas stations are closed?

Auburn, CA has had PG&E fire safety outages. Every gas station was closed in the area for several days, for many miles. They could not operate without electricity. The first gas station that was open was at Cisco Grove CA. BIG line of trucks and cars down the freeway. Have fun waiting!

There was NO line to the charge station there at the same gas station, no wait at all, other than for the charge. One could fully charge by the time that line moved a few vehicles.

-Don- Reno, NV

Dude's from Reno. Nevada Energy is pretty dependable.
I also live in Auburn, CA. Look to the bottom left of this message, under the doggy. In fact, my Auburn house is my best house.

We have had outages here in Reno as well, but only for a few hours. Auburn had outages for several days, and when they did, I headed for Reno at first.

Lived in my RV during the last one they had, which was shorter, less than 24 hours that time.

-Don- Reno, NV

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MsWebster
Back
Top Bottom