Don't know who to vote for?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ned

Moderator Emeritus
Tuesday is not just a presidential election, but there are elections of state and local offices as well.  If you're like me, you may not be familiar with all the candidates and have no idea which ones are aligned with your ideals.  If so, then you need to go to vote411.org and put in your address.  You will then see all the candidates and can compare them against each other and make informed decisions on Tuesday.  But above all, do vote.  If you don't, then don't complain when you don't like the results :)

Thank you Ned. Voteing is a good thing. We need to make sure we take others with us....Why vote alone ??

mnmnutswer said:
Thank you Ned. Voteing is a good thing. We need to make sure we take others with us....Why vote alone ??

Great idea. I wish i had discussed it with the neighbors. This is a little dance, talking about voting WITHOUT talking about politics!  ;D

We voted by mail (on the permanent absentee ballot/voter roll) but, since we're home, we'll be driving neighbors to the polling station.

That's a good site, Ned.    We got home from the NE just in time to early vote, which we did.  We have an early voting place on our way into town.  If we vote on Tuesday we've got to drive to a small town 10 miles away!!!  No brainer!  We also set our home phone to take messages after 3 rings and quit answering it.  If we start to get a message that is nonpolitical we pick up the phone. 

All ballots in Oregon are mailed to us.  We can either mail them back or deposit them in a special locked, postal-like bin in front of City Hall.  I love it! 

Margi

I guess I'm old school.  I prefer to vote on Tuesday, Nov. 6th.

I remember back in Chicago, our motto was "vote early and vote often".  We used to speculate on who was going to get Grandpa's voting rights in his will.

I remember back in Chicago, our motto was "vote early and vote often".
That's funny, thanks for that reminder! Because I moved from the south side to WA I haven't heard that for about 30 yrs. I'll be using that on my buddies tomorrow.

Just Lou said:

I remember back in Chicago, our motto was "vote early and vote often".  We used to speculate on who was going to get Grandpa's voting rights in his will.

Good grief, Lou....once again I am right behind you. My polling place is 2 minutes from my house, yet my DW insisted on voting early 2 days ago 3 miles away. My mind is spinning...Why ? I can see doing that for folks working or going out of town. Early voting is becoming a trend, seems like it.
  A great way to get your great-grandpa to cast a vote without showing ID. I fear for my country.
  I'll bet there are lots of folks who will regret voting early.

CaRson FL

Just Lou said:

Gotta love that ;D Since my name can be turned around and used bckwards, Last election I told my daughter (as a joke) that I had voted as Meade Will and voted again as Will Meade and was thinking of going back to vote as Douglas Will. Poor girl was furious at me even after I told her I was joking...Isn't that legal in Chicago??

I don't know where you voted but we have to have a photo id here in Weatherford, Tx

But above all, do vote.

We have a friend who has never voted because he refuses to register.  "They" might find out too much about him, he'd have to serve on jury duty, etc. etc.  I've never been able to figure out his attitude and my chiding has never made him change his mind.  He also thinks "none of the above" is a reasonable choice and I think it's one of the most stupid things I've ever heard of in voting.

I've never missed a presidential election, and not many others either.  My ancestors fought too hard for the freedom to vote and there's no way I'd give up my precious right.

ArdraF

I moved in Aug (45 miles) this year and first thing I did was get a PO Box and sign up for a new voters card. I never miss a chance to do my duty.

ArdraF said:
"They" might find out too much about him, he'd have to serve on jury duty,

That doesn't work in Texas. They get you through your driver's license as well.

[quote author=wgb1]They get you through your driver's license as well.[/quote]

Many years ago a teenage family member visiting from the UK had a traffic accident in one of our cars. I called the court to confirm it was OK for him to fly home, and for me attend the hearing in his place when the case came up. Long story, but the court let him off with a (letter of) reprimand. Because he didn't have a CA drivers license, the DMV created a 'dummy' one so they could put a ding on it.

We forgot all about it until some time later, when a letter turned up from the Feds saying "you have failed to register for the draft; This could result in a $250,000 fine and 6 months in jail"  :eek: The Feds had apparently picked up his info from that DMV record. I didn't volunteer to pay the fine or serve his time  :(

I have registered to vote ever since I was old enough (more than a few years ago) and after my military service I have lived mostly in small town or rural areas where one would think jury duty would be knocking.  But, I've only been called one time and was not chosen to serve because I happened to be a friend of the complainant.  Now, watch, I'll get an "invite" next week.

Tom said:
Many years ago a teenage family member visiting from the UK had a traffic accident in one of our cars. I called the court to confirm it was OK for him to fly home, and for me attend the hearing in his place when the case came up. Long story, but the court let him off with a reprimand. Because he didn't have a CA drivers license, the DMV created a 'dummy' one so they could put a ding on it.

We forgot all about it until some time later, when a letter turned up from the Feds saying "you have failed to register for the draft; This could result in a $250,000 fine and 6 months in jail"  :eek: The Feds had apparently picked up his info from that DMV record. I didn't volunteer to pay the fine or serve his time  :(

Family story:    During WW II my father was indicted as a draft dodger for failure to register for the draft.  A pair of FBI agents showed up at the family home in late 1944 asking for him.  My mother answer the door.  They asked to speak to Carl Lundquist.  My mother brought me to the door.  I was 7 years old at the time.  The agents explained that the matter involved failure to register for the draft and I was obviously not the culprit.  Was there another Carl Lundquist at this address?  Well yes, there was but he was a Colonel in the Army in Europe at the time and she gave them Dad's APO address.

A few months later in early Jan 1945, in the Vosges Mts of eastern France, Dad's commanding general called him to his office in the division HQ.  Dad was greeted by the CG and his assistant division CG .  The assistant, BG William Dean, of later Korean fame, growled. that the division had received a warrant for Dad's arrest on charges of draft dodging and what in the hell did he intend to do about it.

Dad's unit had been undergoing a week of intense attacks by German SS and Volksturm units starting on New Years Eve.    He looked the general straight in the eye and said that he had no choice but to ask to be relieved and sent on temporary duty back to the States to fight the charges.  The CG growled "Like hell you will Lundquist, get back to your unit.  We'll take care of the warrant."

What happened was that Dad was a regular army officer -- a graduate of West Point Class of 1927.  When the draft started in the run up to WW II, no one thought to register
US Army regulars.  When the draft boards got around to registering men in their late 30s and 40s (Dad was 41 at the time),  they were looking for men who had stable civilian jobs and families.  Well, Dad had a family and  a stable job,  but it was in the Army -- as a Colonel of Infantry.

Not as good a story as Carl's but Dad had registered in 1940, I think.  In November of 1941 he changed jobs and went to work for a railroad in the telegraph department.  On December 7 early he left home to go to Seattle, we lived in St. Paul, NM.  As you can guess things got interesting quickly.  Dad was born in the Philippine Islands way back when and did not have a birth certificate.  In addition he had a amateur radio license.  About the first week in January the FBI came looking for him.  I guess from what I remember of the stories that were told later, he was picked up in Seattle, held for about 24 hours till his father was contacted, the railroad claimed him as essential and things got sorted out. 

He had left for a trip that was supposed to last a week to determine what equipment was needed to upgrade the office and stayed till the equipment was installed and working.  Total of 3+ months. 

Just to add to Mom's problems of his absence, ration books etc., we 3 boys all came down with whooping cough one after the other!!! This was in the days of quarantine.

The family had a great winter and spring, not!

My greeting for the day on Tuesday to everyone I pass by is simple and painless. Did you vote? We should all do this and get everyone involved.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sinbad
Back
Top Bottom