Don't try this at home

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Don't ask me why I did this, but it was a dumb thing to do!

I'd been prep'ing the coach for our upcoming trip after approx 6 months in storage. I dumped a bunch of bleach down the gravity feed to the fresh water tank and proceeded to fill the tank using the city water hookup. It occurred to me that I needed to "flush" the bleach down the gravity fill hose, so I grabbed the fresh water "handheld shower head" in the water bay, undid the water connection and shoved the hose into the fresh water fill. After turning on the faucet I realized that the hose connector had a washer inside. On removing the shower head, I saw that the washer was gone  :(

I thought about it overnight as the bleach/chlorine went to work sanitizing the water system. Got up in the morning with an idea; I removed the hose between the gravity fill and the fresh water tank and, sure enough, the washer was trapped in the hose. Phew!

Karl said:
My old Bounder's hose is only about 4' long and can't possibly reach the fresh water gravity fill.

Karl, that has more to do with the relative location of the gravity fill than the length of your hose. The hose I was talking about is only 3 feet long.

Tom,

You are right.  I had a gravity fill on the last MH and wanted the easy to operate, don't get wet when the hose slips built in fill!  VBG

James Godward said:
...wanted the easy to operate, don't get wet when the hose slips built in fill!

I have both Jim. BTW how do you get chlorine/bleach into your fresh water tank without a gravity fill?

Pour the bleach into an empty hose, connect to water spigot and RV, turn on the water and let the flow carrry the bleach into the tank.

You didn't have to give him the answer Lou  ;D

Karl said:
Tom, My shower is in the second compartment from the rear and the gravity fill is about 15' forward of that.

Yep, that's what I figured. My shower head happens to be within a couple of feet of the fresh water fill. I recall on the old Pace Arrow, the FWF was almost at the rear of the coach. But it didn't have an external shower head or faucet anyway.

Tom said:
I have both Jim. BTW how do you get chlorine/bleach into your fresh water tank without a gravity fill?

Just as Lou mentioned.  Put chlorine in the empty freash water hose before hooking up to faucet.

Ron said:
Put chlorine in the empty freash water hose before hooking up to faucet.

I don't need to Ron, I just pour it down the fresh water fill. I just have to remember to flush it down with the fresh water hose, which is my "normal" procedure.

Tom said:
I don't need to Ron, I just pour it down the fresh water fill. I just have to remember to flush it down with the fresh water hose, which is my "normal" procedure.

But then it is another step to sanitize your hose. 

Ron said:
But then it is another step to sanitize your hose. 

Lou's procedure didn't include letting the chlorine sit in the hose for a long enough period to sanitize the hose. Some folks fill the hose with a chlorine/water solution before they put it away, so it's sanitized before they use it next time.

There's no "right" way Ron, just different strokes.

Tom said:
Lou's procedure didn't include letting the chlorine sit in the hose for a long enough period to sanitize the hose. Some folks fill the hose with a chlorine/water solution before they put it away, so it's sanitized before they use it next time.

There's no "right" way Ron, just different strokes.

But without a gravity fill like you have the different strokes to choose from are fewer. ;D

Tom,

I take a clean gallon bottle, put the required amount of bleach in it and attach it to my line for witerizing, turn on th pump and it goes into the tank, from there it then goes throughout the MH .  VBG  I know I left out the valves to be turned but they are different for each model! 

Gee, all I tried to do was use one of my boo boos in an attempt at humor while hopefully providing a "don't do this" lesson for someone. You guys are tough!  ;D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom