DonTom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
@DonTom

Hubby wants to know if you have to worry about snow weight on your house roof in Reno? And do you have to mow grass there?
In places such as Reno, the roofs are designed to hold more snow than we could ever get.

No grass at my Reno home. Just trees and bushes. There was at my old Cold Springs Valley (18 miles NW of Reno) home which led me to selling that house because of the HOA.

I can post a picture of it when I get back there today. I am leaving for Reno in a few minutes as there is a short break in the weather and a ton of more snow comes tonight at the summit.

-Don- Auburn, CA

This is the front of my Reno house (facing out view). No grass, low maintenance front yard, nice and shady in the spring and summer. Sometimes I type these messages out there on a laptop. Notice the chairs and table.

There is that outside wood heater for when it is a bit on the cool side. But I have not used that since Tommy died in year 2016. He was the one to always light it up. I just stay inside until the weather is better these days.

GHfront.JPG
-Don- Reno, NV

When are you leaving on your next Motorhome trip and where?

You are lucky. You don't have to mow!

When are you leaving on your next Motorhome trip and where?

You are lucky. You don't have to mow!
Long story, but the grass at my Cold Springs Valley house is what led me to selling that house when the HOA got on my case. Now I am glad I got rid of that house after I bought a couple of new sheds and cleaned out my garages in my other two houses well enough to hold my 11 motorcycles. I even have room for one more!

There is a formula for how many motorcycles I should own. It is "N + 1", where "N" represents the number I currently own.

I have a couple of things to do first, before my next RV trip. One is to take my old RV back to Reno for the NV smog test. Has to be decent weather over the summit for that. Waiting out better weather. Then I will take my newer RV perhaps to Tucson just to try that Sonoran Hot Dog!

It snowed here in Auburn yesterday, which is rare for here at 1,400' elevation. But the temps were in the mid 40's. It almost never gets below freezing here and I do not winterize my RVs. No snow in Reno at 5,000' elevation! But Reno is desert which normally means less than ten inches of water per year. 10" of snow is equal to around one inch of rain.

Auburn is much the opposite, gets a lot more rain every year, but snow is rare here. Here, I am in the Sierra foothills. A lot more trees than people.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Last edited:
I saw you were talking about going to Utah......Are ya there yet. I want pictures.

I saw you were talking about going to Utah......Are ya there yet. I want pictures.
My Class A is still in for service to get the wheel alignment and steering wheel straightened out. As soon as I get it back, which will probably be today, I will start getting ready for the trip.

I told them at the truck repair place that there is no hurry, but they will probably do the job today anyway.

Today, I will drive my Class C a few miles just to give it some exercise. But I will probably do a trip in it soon after I come back from this trip. That will probably be to southern AZ. I want to try boondocking in that place near Why, AZ, above Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument. My Class C is more suited for that trip as it has a much higher ground clearance than my Class A.

Of course, my plans can change even in the middle of the trip.

As usual, I have no set date to leave and no set date to be back here. I will never have a date to be back home. Not even a good guess.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Will look forward to your reports.
They could start tomorrow, if I can get on-line on Hwy 50 in Nevada. I already started the trip. I left Auburn this afternoon and I now have my RV in front of my house here, against the HOA rules.

Tomorrow, I do some grocery shopping for stuff to put in the RV refrigerator & freezer here in Reno and I will probably head east in the early afternoon. My first stop is anybody's guess. I have no clue.

On the way here, I stopped off at the Gold Run East bound rest stop (not as nice as west bound) to start up the RV refrigerator & freezer (where level) so it will be cold enough by tomorrow to use.

After Utah, I will probably head towards Jemez Springs, NM to meet an old buddy (Paul) who I used to work with in San Franciso. Many years ago, he went backpacking and met a gal, who later became his wife. She is a doctor, and Paul decided to quit his job in SF to be with her, and her practice was in NM. I never met her, but I knew Paul for many years from ham radio (now is KM5SW) and I knew him well before he worked for SF. In fact, I am not sure, but it was probably me who got him the job there in SF, I just cannot remember. Anyway, it's been around 30 years since Paul and I saw each other.

Two years ago, I wanted to meet Paul while I was in ABQ, but that week they were in CA, visiting relatives. IOW, I was in NM while he was in CA. The plan then was I would meet him on the way back from Florida, but I decided to stay south mainly because of the winter weather up there and decided to make it another time. That could now be in a couple of weeks.

I just now sent him the email, so I am not sure if I will end up there or not. It's been a while since we communicated by any method, perhaps about a year.

-Don- Reno, NV

I can highly recommend Jemez Falls Campground although it might be a bit too high elevation. Valles Caldera is awesome.

Yeah, I see that the Jemez Falls Campground is at almost 8,000' elevation. Sounds like it would be better for July. But I see it's now extra warm in the Jemez Springs area this week. So maybe, if it's open.

How are the roads in the camp? My Class A has very little ground clearance.

-Don- Reno, NV

Yeah, I see that the Jemez Falls Campground is at almost 8,000' elevation. Sounds like it would be better for July. But I see it's now extra warm in the Jemez Springs area this week. So maybe, if it's open.

How are the roads in the camp? My Class A has very little ground clearance.

-Don- Reno, NV
Very good from what I recall. We stayed in site 9.

Photos front and back of pitch.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1697475311177.jpg
    FB_IMG_1697475311177.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 4
  • FB_IMG_1697475306279.jpg
    FB_IMG_1697475306279.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 4
As usual, I got a very late start. I left Reno after 1400 hrs.

To my surprise, 3 bars of 4G Verizon service here

I am now at a rest stop just West of Eureka, NV. This rest area is not in my Garmin RV770, so I saved it as one. Scale in with the "+" here to see it. And use the satellite view. A few picnic tables here, but nothing else. More of just another road that they labeled as a rest area.

One of the strangest rest areas I have seen. No signs, other than the "Rest Area" Signs on US 50. No rules, no nothing and I don't think anybody cares or even checks this place. This is the very first time I leveled my RV and put the slides out at an overnight rest stop.

I took a photo from here looking at all the traffic on this road . . .

And one to the north and south.

Just before it started to get dark,hwy50.JPGnorth.JPGsouth.JPG

-Don- Eureka, NV

Pretty remote stop, Tom. Be careful out there. I know it's as remote as being struck by lightening, but all it takes is one strike.

I also reckon with the late start you wanted to get some miles in but back west of you there were 2 RV parks. Looking at the satellite they looked pretty basic, but at least inhabited.

1697550034791.png

Very good from what I recall. We stayed in site 9.
I heard from Paul and yes, I will be going to meet him and his wife (I never met his wife before). Now he has grown kids and all. Probably grandkids too. I think we were in our mid-twenties when we last saw each other. Almost 50 years ago!

So after a week in Cedar City (or perhaps Zion RV Park)I will visit with them. Closer to their place is White Rock, a small RV camp with electricity only for $20.00 per night and must be paid by the night. No reservations possible there, first come, first serve.

On the way back, I will also have a stop in Utah, but in a different area. Maybe. My plans can change at any time.

-Don- Eureka, NV

Did anyone camp near you last night?
Not near me, but there was one other RV and one truck here overnight. Very quiet, no noise at all.

Right now, I am here all alone. About ready to have a large breakfast burrito, made at Smith's grocery store in Reno. They are very good, made right there. In a large yellow wrapper. "Eggs, Potatoes, & Italian Style Pork Sausage in a Flour Tortilla"

I am now having my Italian Roast Coffee made from my Keurig.

I am in no hurry.

-Don- Eureka, NV

What are you hoping to see and do in Cedar City?

You are on an adventure! Hubby and I will be riding along. I love this stuff.
I have no idea. I will ride around and see what is there. I only picked Cedar City because a Reno motorcycle group I belong to went there many years before I joined them and they said it was a great trip. I think I have been through there before, but many years ago, didn't stop. I have been to Zion Nat'l Park countless times. I used to go backpacking in the high country there every year. Got there by motorcycle in those days.

-Don- Eureka, NV

So after that BIG burrito, are you going to need a nap, or will you do some driving today?

Any wildlife around you at that rest stop?

Pretty remote stop, Tom. Be careful out there. I know it's as remote as being struck by lightening, but all it takes is one strike.
Yeah, I sometimes live dangerously. I didn't even bring a gun this time. And I am now all alone out here.

But . . .

"Some people are so afraid to die that they never begin to live."
-Henry Van Dyke

-Don- Eurekia, NV

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom