DonTom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I leave here on Monday. And then I head to OPCNM, AZ for a week boondocked. Less than 5 hours drive from here.

Check In: Jan 31, 2022
Check Out: Feb 7, 2022 018, RV Generator( RV NONELECTRIC )
TWIN PEAKS CAMPGROUND
NPS Subtotal: $140.00 Quantity: 7 Nights

But 50% off with my senior pass:

Subtotal:$140.00
Adjustment:$0.00
Discount:$-70.00
Tax:$0.00
Total:$70.00

-Don- Lordsburg, NM

And the weather at OPCNM will be like this.

Around the same temps as most of Florida this time of year, but a lot drier.

If you go to OPCNM in the summer, you will have the entire park to yourself and the 115F weather, with overnight lows often above 100F.

-Don- Lordsburg, NM

I bet that is a good spot to admire the stars at night or not?
Yep. Nothing out there.
Maybe you can get a Sonaron Hotdog while you are there. Take a picture!
There is a restaurant right at the Mexican border in LukeVille, AZ. I often eat there, around 6 miles from the Twin Peaks Campground. I don't recall if they have the Sonoran Hot Dog.

I found a place to charge my electric motorcycle there in the TP campground and I put it on Plugshare here. That way I don't have to use my genny to keep it charged up. They only allow gennys at certain times there (except in spring and summer when you will have the entire place to yourself anyway and will need to run it all day and night).

-Don- Lordsburg, NM

I bet that is a good spot to admire the stars at night or not?
We were there before coming to Q. Lovely part of the Sonoran desert. The campground is only an ok place to view the stars. Between the bath houses keeping their lights on all night to the campers having their door light on all night, you really need to drive out a ways to get a great sky.

you really need to drive out a ways to get a great sky.
Just do a night hike. Don't have to go far.

Yeah, I do solo night hikes once in a while, but not too far.

I stepped on Western Rattlesnake in Zion Ntl Park many years ago during such a hike. Nothing happened, it just crawled away in reverse, not taking its eyes off me as I was using my flashlight watching it. It didn't get hurt. BTW, it didn't even rattle.

-Don- Lordsburg, NM

@DonTom

Are desert tortoise active out there right now or is it to cool at Organ Pipe?

Hope you get to see one and get a picture.

What other reptiles have you seen out there?

Javelina have you seen one of those?​

You said your camera is for underwater and land. Does that camera have a button or switch to poke so you can change between the 2 locations?

We were at Organ Pipe just over a week ago. It is stunning. View from our site.
Too bad we missed each other. BTW, I go there every year. Usually in Dec.

I will be there late on Monday. I leave here on Monday. 296 miles / 480 km, 5 hours away from here.

Do you do the hikes there? I always take the hike to Victoria Mine while there as well as the other shorter hikes.

The best views are during those hikes.

And I always do the hike from the TP campground to the visitor center.

And have you been to Quitobaquito Springs? But the road to it from the south has been closed the last couple of years.

-Don- Lordsburg, NM

Last edited:
Are desert tortoise active out there right now or is it to cool at Organ Pipe?
You would have better luck seeing those in the early springtime. The place is full of reptiles, but most of the snakes only come out at night and when there isn't much moonlight. But there are some exceptions, such as the coachwhip snake only does days.

Organ Pipe has its own species of one snake, the little Organ Pipe Shovelnose snake. Found nowhere else in the USA. But it is also south of there but in Mexico.

A small colorful snake that eats up the little scorpions.

chionactis_palarostris.JPG

-Don- Lordsburg, NM

Red next to Yellow will kill a fellow, red next to black is a friend to Jack.
But don't use that outside the USA! Here is a photo of the dangerously venomous Amazon Coral Snake (there are many others that are red to black that are venomous. But outside the USA):

amcs.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom