DonTom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We lived in Cheyenne, WY at 6,000' elevation
Tom & I were in Cheyenne in this RV in 2010, I think it was. Month of September. Was really nice there. We stopped in a small Chinese Restaurant in Cheyenne which, of course had a very Americanized menu. But the employees (all Chinese) were then having lunch and it was something very authentic Chinese. Shrimp Lo Mein, IIRC. They let us order it.

I remember the cook saying if they tried to serve authentic Chinese food there, it would put them out of business.

Cheyene was our favorite small town to visit during that trip. But the weather was perfect. But we probably wouldn't have felt that way if we were there in the middle of winter.

-Don- Tom's Place, CA

In '72 I was stationed in Phoenix. On President's Day weekend a buddy of mine and I decided to ride our motorcycles to the Grand Canyon. Started out in Phoenix with just a T-shirt on. By the time we got to the Grand Canyon Junction, we were wearing every stich of clothing we had brought with us and there was snow on the ground.

I am now having my breakfast at the Tom's Place restaurant. Tuesday is "Taco Tuesday" for both breakfast and dinner. The only days they have them, it's a Tuesday special. They have excellent food here for a place out in the middle of nowhere.

There is beef and other stull mixed in with the eggs and it's very tasty:

BT1.JPGBT2.JPG

-Don- Tom's Place restaurant (0.8 mile from where I am camped at).

I was talking to a local buddy yesterday about our day on Koon lake. He was inviting me to head to a Florida Spring.

I mentioned that I almost went swimming in Koon lake (where we picnicked) which I would never do and he freaked out. He told me there is a 14 foot alligator in there. I laughed and told him that's bigger than my boat...

Too bad I've never seen it. TBH he could be yanking my chain. He's one of these guys that hears stuff and repeats it as gospel without ever doing any fact checks. Next time I see the RV park owner (Tronny) I am gonna ask him about it.

He knows I've boated on Koon lake a few times and has never mentioned it and had told me it was a popular lake for water skiing when he was a kid.

I was talking to a local buddy yesterday about our day on Koon lake. He was inviting me to head to a Florida Spring.

I mentioned that I almost went swimming in Koon lake (where we picnicked) which I would never do and he freaked out. He told me there is a 14 foot alligator in there. I laughed and told him that's bigger than my boat...

Too bad I've never seen it. TBH he could be yanking my chain. He's one of these guys that hears stuff and repeats it as gospel without ever doing any fact checks. Next time I see the RV park owner (Tronny) I am gonna ask him about it.

He knows I've boated on Koon lake a few times and has never mentioned it and had told me it was a popular lake for water skiing when he was a kid.

When I first moved to Arkansas (from SoCal), I had a guy tell me a story about a blind albino ex-slave who built some of the rock walls you see scattered around the woods in northern Arkansas. I always thought it was one of those back-woods BS stories. Several years later the story was confirmed by one of the little old grannies my wife used to take care of.

I mentioned that I almost went swimming in Koon lake (where we picnicked)
According to my maps, there is no "Koon Lake" in Florida. What was the name of the road it was on? I want to find it on my maps.

In the Mayo Area, according to my maps there are the following lakes and ponds:

Tenmile Pond
Hawkings Pond
Alton Lake
Wash Pond
Townsend Pond
Dinner Pond
Old Grass Lake
Sand Lake

I cannot remember what road it was on. I want to find "Koon Lake" on my maps.

Gators are just about everywhere in Florida. The largest gator ever found was 19.2 feet long and weighed in at 2,000 pounds, but was found in Vermilion Bay in Southern Louisiana, not Florida. A 14 footer in that "Koon Lake" is very possible.

-Don- Reno, NV

According to my maps, there is no "Koon Lake" in Florida. What was the name of the road it was on? I want to find it on my maps.

In the Mayo Area, according to my maps there are the following lakes and ponds:

Tenmile Pond
Hawkings Pond
Alton Lake
Wash Pond
Townsend Pond
Dinner Pond
Old Grass Lake
Sand Lake

I cannot remember what road it was on. I want to find "Koon Lake" on my maps.

Gators are just about everywhere in Florida. The largest gator ever found was 19.2 feet long and weighed in at 2,000 pounds, but was found in Vermilion Bay in Southern Louisiana, not Florida. A 14 footer in that "Koon Lake" is very possible.

-Don- Reno, NV

Man - How interesting. It now appears Koon Lake is Townsend Pond. The boat ramp and surrounding roads are still all about Koon Lake so if it did change it must be recent.

From the RV park we went south on county(?) 355, turned left on County 340, past Daddy's Gun Shop and left on SE Parker Ave - which was a dirt road.

Sorry for the cruddy resolution it was a screen capture.

You might get a maps hit if you search for Koon Lake Boat Ramp or Koon Lake State Park.

townsendLake..JPG

@DonTom ,

Hi from Hubby and me in Maryland where no snow has shown up yet.
We hope you have been safe, warm, and have not lost electric and your freezer has stayed on so you didn't lose anymore TV dinners.

Haven't been here for 6 months but hoping to get back into the forum reading and chatting mode again. Sometimes ya just need a break, hahhaha

Are you heading out on your winter trip soon? Hubby and I will ride along virtually again when you do. We are looking forward to it.

We are going to St Augustine Fl and Jekyll Island in May. We haven't made any other plans yet.

I am hoping my vegetable garden does better this year.

@DonTom ,

We hope you have been safe, warm, and have not lost electric and your freezer has stayed on so you didn't lose anymore TV dinners.

Haven't been here for 6 months but hoping to get back into the forum reading and chatting mode again. Sometimes ya just need a break, hahhaha

Are you heading out on your winter trip soon? Hubby and I will ride along virtually again when you do. We are looking forward to it.

We are going to St Augustine Fl and Jekyll Island in May. We haven't made any other plans yet.

We were a bit concerned about you! Good to see you again 😁🥳

@DonTom ,

Some of us were worried about you, the way you dropped off for so long without any advance notice. I am glad all is okay and you're now back!

I was planning on a winter trip, but one thing after the other is delaying it. First delay was when I got COVID last month. Then the weather and other things.

Too much of a good thing with all the rainfall in CA! Flooding all over, but still in a drought! I keep both of my RVs in Auburn, no need to winterize there and no HOA! It is rare for it to get to or below freezing there and has not happened at all at any time so far this year and most likely won't . Overnight lows are normally in the mid 40's F/ 4.4C in Auburn in the coldest months.

Here in Reno, low 20's for an overnight low is common.

I expect to head out on a short RV trip when I get back to Auburn next. Perhaps in a couple of weeks or so. I have no idea where I will be going, other than south where the weather will be warmer and hopefully drier. I will be taking my Y2K RV this next time. Next time my newer RV. Not so new anymore now that it is year 2023! :)

-Don- Reno, NV

So far, I have been lucky there. Several power outages from the power companies at each house. But every one of them, so far, I was at the opposite house when they happened.

A trick I do in all my freezers (even in my RVs when they are used) is to put a cup of water in the freezer. After it turns to ice, I put a penny on top of the ice.

If I am gone for a while and the penny is on the bottom of the ice when I return, all the food in there will get thrown out. So far, the power outages have not been long enough to make the penny drop at all at either house. I have ways to tell when there is a power outage at the opposite house. My cameras/ cable modem/router are all on a UPS, but I have other stuff that is not so I can tell if either the internet or AC power drops of from the opposite house. But I normally also get an email from the power companies telling me so as well.

Now that I have no refrigerators/ freezers on a GFI outlet, I have had no more problems, not even during the power outages as they have not been for more than a few hours at either house.

-Don- Reno, NV

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom