DonTom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love the pictures.

@JudyJB said the wildflowers would be blooming soon out there. Glad you got a pic of some.

Does this flower look like what you took a pic of?

Last edited:
I guess none of it impressed us much, as I cannot remember anything about it all other than driving down the road around 45 years ago and quicky going back to the freeway.

I see it says "Zzyzx Road is a 4.5-mile-long (7.2 km), part paved and part dirt,". Perhaps we turned around when the pavement stopped. Too long ago to remember well.

-Don- Borrego Springs, CA
Here's a good video about what's at the end of Zzyzx Rd:

No, Ziplock. Flowers were bright red. I just looked it up, and it was a desert globemallow. There were a lot of brittle bushes in bloom, but those seem to bloom all the time.

Yesterday, I went about five miles north of here. Today, I went about six miles south and took a hike in this area below. I took a cold soft drink with me and had more water back at the bike. It seemed like it was a good 80F/30C out there and I hiked at least a mile, both sides of the road to see all this stuff:2a.JPGbid2.JPGbird.JPG

The desert out here looks mostly like this:
desert.JPGele.JPGele2.JPGfight.JPGIMGP1180.JPG

Attachments

• milk.JPG
    milk.JPG
    191.3 KB · Views: 0
  • three.JPG
    three.JPG
    197.3 KB · Views: 0
I am going to cut this trip short. I will leave here on Friday as my new motorcycle is waiting for me.

I just now received the email.

I will soon enough complete this trip in my 2022 Class A from back at the starting point in Auburn.

Some more photos for today:

Desert Tortoise food:
flowers.JPGhead.JPGjeep.JPG

All those desert wildflowers should keep this guy happy:
largetor.JPGpros.JPG
These guys should also enjoy the desert flowers:

smallertor.JPG

I hope this isn't too religious for the Site Team here!: ;)
xyz.JPG

I guess you are excited about your new motorcycle.

Hope all goes well with the ride home.

We loved the pictures.

Use to dig at the Hauser Geode Beds near Blythe in the early 1970's in the summer as a teenager. Slept on the ground due to the heat. Heard on our 1962 IHC Scout's radio that it was 121F that day. Seeing a scorpion crawling around kept me awake all night. They're really that big out there.

hgbmap.jpg

I was born in the imperial valley and spent the first 11 years of my life there. I have lived the temps and don't miss them. I have spent many a day in the area and know it well. I have family in Mexicali, Mexico, Heber, Brawley, El Centro, Blythe, Parker, and everywhere else around there. Growing up there in the 60's, it was paradise but the Colorado river has been sucked dry and the delta is almost dead.

People there say it's not so bad in the summer but I know better. It's hot from May on to November. I go visit family in November and it's 90 degrees and they think it's cool.

The worst part is that the evenings are also hot. If you turn the AC off for any amount of time, it takes forever to cool the house down - got to run it 24/7 in the summer. Cars, now there is a problem there, park it out in the sun, in the summer time and forget it, can't sit on the seats or touch the steering wheel. A whole different way of life

Last edited:
The worst part is that the evenings are also hot.
Yeah, I can recall overnight lows above 100F/38C in some desert areas in the summer. And when outside, if any wind, it feels like a blast from a furnace. The wind can be higher than body temperature, so can even make it hotter.

I have never lived in such a place, but when I was young and dumb, I would take a motorcycle ride into Death Valley--in early August! And I did it more than once!

Caiman reptile? Do you think it was this? Lordy:
Those used to be quite common in the pet trade. I assume there are a few of those in the Everglades too, along with the Burmese Phytons, true Iguanas and the other many non-native species from those times.

At least the caimans are smaller, and the native gators will eat them up. FWIW, gators are often cannibalistic and will eat even their own species.

But PA isn't a place where we can expect gators or caimans to live long.

-Don- Auburn, CA

@DonTom

Hubby wants to know if you have to worry about snow weight on your house roof in Reno? And do you have to mow grass there?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom