Doran PressurePro

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pat said:
Ned:? Thanks for the info on the locks and transmission.

What would Equal be?

I have read a couple other postings about problems getting the sensors to fit recessed valves.? Is anything being planned to help with that problem?? I haven't heard an opinion whether these would post any problems or stress on valve extensions.

--pat

Just out of coursity... What is a recessed valve.

The sensors are somewhat larger around (about the diamater of a nickel) but they should fit on any valve stem you can put an air chuck on with no problems, Only problem would be if they got in the way of a hubcap, and a few seconds with a die grinder or dremel working on said hubcap should fix that (Well, minutes if you are using a dremel on a metal hubcap)

I have solid valve stems on the MH, rubber on the toad, sensors on all 10 wheels, like them  So far they have detected problems I was not yet aware of (I got "Screwed" (that is a screw in a tire) don't you know) Sensors detected the slow leak, Belle tire plugged same but caused a problem with the sensor (Debris on seal) which a blast of clean air took care of (I cart around a fairly sizable amount of pressurized air ... Well, actually, an air compressor and portable power, most of the time, espically if I'm A: Having problems or B: towing (Lumina is both TV in both senses of T (Towing and Toad) and in either case I carry the compressor)

JID:  I carry a very nice inflater.  It's 110, though.  I'm not as concerned about the car tires as I am about the motorhome.  I can change a car flat more easily, I'm sure.  I also have portable power, but it's a 12v starter battery.  Both items are compact and work great.  I'm happy to have them.  With the inflater, I can always fire up the MH generator to run it, if necessary. 

Re the iPod, I've been considering getting a towed radio with aux input.  I don't need CD or cassette.  How do you connect?  To the earphone jack?  Changing out the vehicle units is an expense I'd prefer to avoid; although, since I drive the MH long distance only about 4 days a year, I suppose I could forget that change. 

I have all my music on the iPod, but I also have about 230 books ripped and coded to MP3 and listen to them while I'm on the highway or bicycling.  Fortunately I have everything backed up, so if the iPod takes a dive, I'm ready to load onto something else.

I probably used the wrong word, since the front wheel valves on the MH are not recessed.  Instead, they are almost covered by decorative chrome hubcaps.  I didn't realize the sensors are so small.  Somebody here has wheel covers similar to mine and is still figuring out how to make the sensors fit.  I can barely unscrew the valve caps by hand when I want to check the air. 

Do the sensors really throw off the tire balance enough to require countermeasures?

--pat

Well, my air compressor is 110vac too.. The generator that runs it is in the towed for other reasons, (I often find the need for a very very very very very long extension cord... the Generator fills the need)

As for towed v/s motor home tires needing the sensor, I truly think that they are MORE important on the towed.

Imagine if you will you are towing what, a 3,000 lb towed with over 20,000 of Motor home... You get a flat (on the towed) a blowout, it's far enough back you don't hear a BANG and you really don't notice the WOP WOP WOP of the flat tire either.

What do you notice?......  Why the smoke and flames in your rear view mirror as you towed becomes toast of course.

Do the sensors really throw off the tire balance enough to require countermeasures?

Pat:

Ditto on our Honda CRV. Towed it 7600 miles without balancing with no appreciable wear on the tires. I am going to have them rotated and balanced  next week and will see if they needed it.

Pat: "I had some questions, but I think the reply disappeared into cyberspace.  After I clicked on "post" I saw a flash of a red message that started "you wrote" or something.  Don'cha hate that?"

I prefer the spell checker  on my Mac. I compose msgs in TextEdit and then copy/paste to the browser. No worries about msg getting eaten by gremlins.

Concerning the iPod>car radio connection. The best after market radio for this is the Alpine. It has an iPod specific input and can show song titles on the radio display. Also does the same for mp3 CD songs. Unfortunately, it only accepted 2 optional inputs and I thought I was going to need 3 (iPod, Sirius sat radio, and stereo in for a cassette player). Therefor I went with a Kenwood that had Sirius sat radio built in and a stereo in that I could plug the iPod or a cassette player into. Disadvantage here is that the display is dumb and only shows the track# of the CD and nothing with the iPod.

Dennison makes an iPod adaptor that uses the outboard CD changer connection on many-but not all, car radios.

I recently saw a picture of a new radio that had a USB receptacle on the front panel.

Pat said:
Can the monitor be moved easily from the RV to the towed when the latter is being driven?

Pat, the monitor can be placed anywhere it has a 12v plug for power and can read the signals sent by the sensors.

What about security on the valves?? Is there something to prevent people from stealing the sensors??

There are sensor locks available, about $5 each, but I've never heard of one being stolen. Who could use it?

Are there RF interference issues??
What are the cons to this system?  (You can reply via email, rather than post them, but I'd like to know.)

None that I know of.

Where does the antenna go, and how is it (1) attached and (2) connected to the monitor?

It is attached to the top of the monitor, screws on, about a 3 1/2" whip.

I have the website bookmarked.  Is that the way to buy the sensors, or do I go through somebody here?  Also, will sensors and receivers be available in Moab, if I have to wait that long?

--pat

Pat

Contact Bernie privately - either click on the email icon under his name or via the email link on his web site.

Ned said:
I checked the Doran web site and the locks are $4.50 apiece.  They will stop the casual thief, but they appear to be secured with a simple allen screw so a knowledgeable thief could still remove them.  [Bernie, correct me if that's incorrect.]

The weight is less than one ounce, not enough to affect a 100+ lb. truck tire.  And if you use Equal or similar for balancing, that will automatically compensate for them.

The sensors will work with any receiver, but I don't believe they will interfere with another installation.  The range is so short that it's unlikely you would read another vehicle's sensors as they pass by as the signal isn't continuous.  I believe the sensors only transmit every 5 minutes unless there is an alarm condition.

Ned

Correct about the locks. As part of the installation, the sensors are identified with the tire position by the monitor and only those sensors that have been installed will be read by the monitor.

Bluewind said:
How long do the battries last and how expensive are they to replace?

Depending on your usage, they should last 3-5 years. The batteries are not user replaceable, the designers of the system had too many problems with user replaceable batteries (incorrect installations, leakage, etc.)with their previous company that used replaceable batteries. When the batteries die, and there is a low voltage warning on the system monitor indicating any battery starting to fail, the factory will replace the entire sensor for about $15+/-

BernieD said:
When the batteries die, and there is a low voltage warning on the system monitor indicating any battery starting to fail, the factory will replace the entire sensor for about $15+/-

I didn't realize that Bernie. Everything I thought I'd read previously suggested having to pay closer to $50, but that's about what the sensors cost. Your latest message makes a lot more sense.

At one time the manufacturer had indicated that sensors with dead batteries could be returned to the factory and would be replaced for about $15.  Now the PressurePro web site says "at reasonable cost" rather than a specific dollar figure.   

Have just finished installing the Pressure Pro system I purchased from Bernie yesterday.  Total time to install all ten sensors and have everything working was about 15 to 20 minutes, not counting the time I spent checking/adjusting  tire pressures before I began installation.  Great day to accomplish this as it is overcast this morning and temps were 68 degrees while I was doing this.

Just to avoid some possible confusion regarding Pressure Pro and Doran Pressure Pro.  Both are made by the same company which is not Doran.  I believe Doran is just  a distributor that has their brand name placed on the Pressure Pro monitor.  Correct me if I am in error Bernie.

I believe the manufacturer is Advantage PressurePro LLC.

Ron & Ned

You are both right :D :D

Ron, glad to see the installation went so easy. Did you count reading the instruction book twice in your install time ??? ;D ??? ;D

BernieD said:
Ron & Ned

You are both right :D :D

Ron, glad to see the installation went so easy. Did you count reading the instruction book twice in your install time ??? ;D ??? ;D

I didn't need to read the instruction book.  The guy I purchased from gave me great verbal instructions.  Did as I was told and all went very well. ;) ;)

Oh I did leave the instruction manual near the monitor. ;D ;D

Ron said:
Oh I did leave the instruction manual near the monitor. ;D ;D

Ron:

That's because by next month you (like me) will have  forgetton how to do it again. ;D ;D

I thought that fly boys always used a checklist and didn't commit anything to memory  ???

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom