Doran PressurePro

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr. HolidayRambler

Bought a tire pressure monitoring system and that thing saved me a WHOLE lot of trouble. Got a nail stuck in one of my steers. Created a slow leak and the Doran PressurePro altered me that I was losing pressure. I hate to think what would have happend if I didn't have that system installed. And the guy who sold it to me, I believe that gentleman's name was Phil Cunningham, stayed on the phone with me until I got my system installed in case I had any questions. And there's some free stuff they give you too with each other. If anyone's interested in more information, Doran's number is 866-816-7233.

A lot of us are running with and fans of PressurePro. Some  have bought direct, some from Doran and other sources including a member of this forum - Bernie .

I run with the pressure pro too.  Put it in "single vehicle" mode and use it in the toad as well.

When I installed it it very quickly advised me of a slow leak in the left front tire on the toad. Sure enough, found out I'd been "Screwed", Tire dealer was able to remove said screw and install a proper plug/patch so the tire no longer leaks.

Then I had another problem... Seems the tire installer got some debris in the gasket on the PP monitor... A bit of blowing and brushing and it was all cleaned up and has been holding air for some weeks now.  Though another tire did need a bit of airing up  (This one the leak is way too slow to call it a leak, more like normal air pressure loss)

I'm very pleased with the system and refer foks to Bernie all the time... Also suggested the product to my RV dealer

I can just imagine some happless RVer (In fact I read about one here in the forum) who has a flat on his towed, NO PP mointor and the first clue he has of the flat is the smoke and flames in his rear view mirror as his towed burns... Not good

I'm not familiar with this system.  How does this topic fit under "PCs, Communications, Electronics"?  I'm intrigued about Pressure Pro.  Can you provide a little more information on how it works?

--pat

Pressure Pro replaces the valve caps on your tires, and gives a display on the dash.? If a tire drops 12.5% in pressure, an alarm sounds.? You can also display the current pressures in each tire with the display.? There's more but I'll leave that to Bernie, our resident dealer, to furnish the details if you like.

We've had the system monitoring our 6 motorhome and 4 toad tires since last Dec.? If it warns us of one tire failure on the toad or rear duals, it will have paid for itself.

It's electronic, so it fits here, but could be under Tech Talk as well.

Pat said:
I'm not familiar with this system.? How does this topic fit under "PCs, Communications, Electronics"?? I'm intrigued about Pressure Pro.? Can you provide a little more information on how it works?

--pat

Well I guess you could say since the tire pressure sensors relay the information to the dashboard display monitor via radio waves, it could be called Communications/Electronics ;D ;D 

Basically there is a sensor on each tire in your setup which relays the info to a display monitor on your dashboard. If the tire pressure drops 12% below the level where you set that tire a warning system alerts you to the problem. Check the link by my signature to read some more detail about the PressurePro system.

Can the monitor be moved easily from the RV to the towed when the latter is being driven?

What about security on the valves?  Is there something to prevent people from stealing the sensors? 

Are there RF interference issues? 

What are the cons to this system?  (You can reply via email, rather than post them, but I'd like to know.) 

Where does the antenna go, and how is it (1) attached and (2) connected to the monitor?

Thanks.

--pat

Pat, I purchased a Pressure Pro system and the only con I can see is that the sensors are fairly large. I have been unable to get them on my RV because of the location of the valve stem and the size of the holes in the wheels.  I am still working the issue, but so far no solution. I have tried it on my toad and everything works great.  The monitor panel just plugs into the 12V accessory plug (cigarette lighter) so you can move it to your toad as well.  They sell locks for the sensors to discurage theft.  The antenna is attached directly to the monitor. I don't know the frequency they use, so not sure about RF interference.  If the sensors fit your wheels, I would recomend it.

Robert

Can the monitor be moved easily from the RV to the towed when the latter is being driven?

Yes, just plug it in to any 12V outlet in the toad.  You can set the display to only show the toad tires as well.

What about security on the valves?  Is there something to prevent people from stealing the sensors? 

As Robert mentioned, you can buy security locks, but since the sensors are only of use to someone with the display, they aren't a likely theft target.  Unless someone looks at your tires, they won't even be noticed.

None that I know of.

What are the cons to this system?

It is expensive, but then so are the alternative systems.  If you're motorhome is long (ours is 38') you may need the extender antenna to get reliable readings from the toad.  We needed it partly, I suspect, because we have a rear radiator.  Not all installations will need the extender.  You have to install the system and then see if you need it.  I doubt that any motorhome <37' would need the extender.

Where does the antenna go, and how is it (1) attached and (2) connected to the monitor?

The standard antenna is a 4" vertical that attaches to the top of the display.  The extender is attached with a 30' cable that connects to the same antenna connector on the top of the display.

Ned

>>buy security locks, but since the sensors are only of use to someone with the display, they aren't a likely theft target.? Unless someone looks at your tires, they won't even be noticed.<<

On our Mexico trip one person had 4 sensors stolen while we were on the train flat cars...probably by kids.

Terry
At Clark Fork, ID

Pat said:

What are the cons to this system?  (You can reply via email, rather than post them, but I'd like to know.) 

Thanks.

I will address most of the questions.

1: Move between Towed and MH, it depends, if you opt for the lighter plug cord (I opted for tinned leads) it's as easy as unplugging it from the lighter on one dash and plugging it in the other.  If you opt for tin leads then you need the proper connectors in both vehicles. I have it arraingned that way, (I have Rig-Runner power strips in both rides)  There is a push button, MH/TOWED/BOTH (F/B is the logo on it)

Security: Kids will take anything but w/o the computer the sensors are useless, so. not too much of an issue
Also on the MH's rear wheels, you need to work some to reach them.  You can obtain security devices

RF Interference: To other devices... Not that I've ever noticed,  To the system itself, yes. that is a possibility In fact the sensors will, from time to time, interfear with themselves.  This will cause a "Can't sense tire" indication (Solid tire light) it normally clears withing 10 minutes however as the sensror send and resend pressure.

Other sources of interference can also knock it for a loop.  But again, normally this will only cause a temporary failure indication as you move out of range of the interference

The cons... Well the sensord so weigh 2/3 oz requireing rebalancing of smaller (Toad) wheels, did not seem to affect the 22" jobs on the MH though... I just attached a couple of small weights (1/4 oz) across from the valve stems and it seems to be well balanced (no vibration senesed via wheel)

Other con is that a 10% drop in pressure will set off the tire alarm, so if you air up a hot tire on a hot day, a cold day and the sensor goes off when you get in the car,  reseting is easy,,, Remove count to sixty seconds, replace, it works

Where does the antenna go.. I just used the attached antenna (On top of the unit) all plastic car, Wood & fiberglass MH, the unit can read the MH sensors when it's in the car, car is in driveway of  my house, MH is 2 doors down the road, perhaps 100 feet

Your "Millage" (footage) may vary

Ned:  If somebody sees the sensors and wants the system, they're going to go after the receiver.  A lot of people have the opinion that "what's yours is mine."  I'd be kind of nervous parking in truck stops and some of the places I go now.  You say locks are available?

--pat

You can hide the dash display when not in use so they won't see it in the vehicle.  I doubt most people would even recognize the sensors if they saw them.  If you park in such theft prone areas, I'd find another place to park<g>.

You can put a 2-to-1 adapter in your 12v plug and run both devices.  Available at Radio Shack, WalMart and other electronic stores.  We use one for our StreetPilot and cell phone.

I have the hardwired power cable in the motorhome and can use the plugin cable in the toad.  It's not either or, you can use both as they plug into the display unit.

JID:  I had some questions, but I think the reply disappeared into cyberspace.  After I clicked on "post" I saw a flash of a red message that started "you wrote" or something.  Don'cha hate that?

The RF interference came up from the FM transmitter I have for my iPod.  I had lots of interference in southern Oregon on I-5.  Passing vehicles and local FM stations can cause it.  I'm wondering if enough of these tire sensors get on the road, will people be picking up all sorts of misinformation.

Somebody suggested I park in less theft-prone areas.  Truck stops are my lifeline when I'm on the road.  I nap when I'm sleepy.  That could be any time.  Once in a while I'll stop during daylight in a rest area. 

Are the sensors unique to the receiver?  Or can the stolen ones be used with other receivers? 

If these little gizmos are already adding weight to the valves, I wonder how much more weight locks would add.  I'm glad somebody mentioned balancing the tires.  Never would have occurred to me.

--pat

I checked the Doran web site and the locks are $4.50 apiece.  They will stop the casual thief, but they appear to be secured with a simple allen screw so a knowledgeable thief could still remove them.  [Bernie, correct me if that's incorrect.]

The weight is less than one ounce, not enough to affect a 100+ lb. truck tire.  And if you use Equal or similar for balancing, that will automatically compensate for them.

The sensors will work with any receiver, but I don't believe they will interfere with another installation.  The range is so short that it's unlikely you would read another vehicle's sensors as they pass by as the signal isn't continuous.  I believe the sensors only transmit every 5 minutes unless there is an alarm condition.

Ned:  Thanks for the info on the locks and transmission.

What would Equal be?

I have read a couple other postings about problems getting the sensors to fit recessed valves.  Is anything being planned to help with that problem?  I haven't heard an opinion whether these would post any problems or stress on valve extensions.

--pat

Equal is a powder that is put into the tire when it's mounted and keeps it in balance.

As I have solid valve stems, I have no problem with the sensors.  Some configurations are more difficult to reach for installation.  Without knowing your wheel and valve stem configuration, we can't comment on whether you would have a problem or not.

Pat said:
Robert:? Bummer.? My 12v plug is occupied by my iPod transmitter.?

--pat

I have 7 12 volt outlets in my car and 2 in my motor home (car is original plus 2 tripple outlet add-ons, MH is factory only) plus a RigRunner strip in each (Different kind of 12 volt distribution system A 12 in the MH and a 5 in the towed, (Model number - number of independently fused outlets) the one in the MH runs straight off the house batteries (Does not even go through the switch) and the one in the car off one of the 7 at the moment (subject to change if I choose)  There is another brand of power strip that uses standard binding posts but the one I choose uses special connectors that are, shall we say, more idiot resistant :)

Now.. as for an I-pod.... (making sign of cross)  NO NO WAY, NOT IN MY RIDE, (now if you were to say, say, MiniDisc player.. Then I might be interested)

BTW, you can replace the radio in your ride with one that has an aux input,  Since I use both CD's and Cassettes in my rapidly approaching "Vintage" car (It's a teenager after all, vintage is either 20 or 25) I opted for a kenwood AM/FM/FM/Cassette with CD changer/controller/input in the back plus a "Aux Input" adapter (Another 30 bucks) that tricks the unit into thinking a CD player is plugged in when in fact it can be most any audio device, MD, CD, Computer, MP3 toy or heavens forbid, I-POD

The Hi-MD unit is very nice.... 1.5 hours (about) in top quality, 7-8 hours in normal, and around 30-40 in low, and low is about as good as your I-Pod, and that is per HI-MD disc, And I have a half dozen of those just now, plus I long ago lost count regular Mini-Discs (about 75 minutes each in "Standard" mode, twice that in "high-standard" and don't even ask me about other modes cause I don't know)  The software (for the computer) is a bit cludgey though.  But if you want to know how well standard MiniDisc records back on good old Compuserve there is a forum "Vintage Computing" and in it's library is a file "Gloryfying Riker.mp3" which is an MP3 made from a MiniDisc recording.  Duet, male/female.

Now, I know there are copyright issues when uploading entire songs to the internet, however I think we have most of them covered on that upload.

You see, The Wizop of that forum is the author of the lyrics and the one who decided to make it live, I'm both the recording engineer and the male part of the male/female duet and the uploader

So, She wrote it, (The forum manager is also female) I sang, recorded, and uploaded it, she made it live.  Should cover all the copyright issues :)

But I'd try to move that I-Pod off of FM

Oh yes.. XM-Radio, receivers under fifty bucks now at my local place, service 10/month I think.  It too can go in that aux-in jack.... Or the aux-in on the Fisher sound system in my MH (I just can't use it when on the road due to some stupid wiring issues I may fix some day)

And you never have to change the disc or upload fresh tracks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom