Double Door Dometic Fridge noisy while running on propane

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

denamy1

I own a 2019 Keystone Cougar 5th wheel 367FLS. The Dometic double door fridge is silent while running on AC BUT..... when it runs on Propane its very loud. It sounds like the compressor is running loud. The fridge otherwise works fine. Are there any suggestions on what I can check? If not, I'll have to bring it back to the dealer in the fall. Thanks!

If you have a warranty on the unit, have the dealer check it for you.

The noise could be several conditions. A bad flame, wind, blocked vent, etc.

A simple check would be to look at the flame through the viewing glass at the access panel on the outside of the unit. The flame should be steady and blue in color.

Without knowing what model fridge you have typically Rv fridges don't have a compressor. It's just a flame when on propane like Henry mentioned or a heating element when on AC. I understand that some newer RV fridges are coming out with compressors so giving us the model number of your may help.

If it can run on propane, it's an absorption fridge and has no compressor.  Compressors are used in a totally different system of cooling.

Propane mode should be nearly as silent as AC; the tiny noise of the gas burner is usually detectable only in the still of the night. Just a slight hiss or hum sort of noise.  You may have an incorrectly adjusted air intake port or maybe some debris or a bug nest in the burner chamber. Some knowledge of absorption fridge LP gas burners is helpful to clean and tune. There is probably a YouTube video on the subject.

Double door fridges of recent manufacture have exaust fans to draw fresh air through the heat chamber. Would affect both heating modes, but stranger things have happened than to be inop under electric heat. Wouldn't hurt to check.

Ernie

We have a 2015 Tiffin and the fridge has a fan that runs when it?s hot outside. The fan runs on 120v or propane though so it might not bee the same thing.

The fan runs on 120v or propane though so it might not bee the same thing.
Perhaps better stated like this: The fan actually runs on 12V regardless of the mode the fridge is using to cool (120V electric or Propane).

Back
Top Bottom