DP Motorhome's tow capicity?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Broke Boater

We've been doing the window shopping for a DP, haven't actually looked at any yet. Next month in Quartzite we'll actually see a few then. Not many online are posting towing limits, and most I see that do, are 5k lb limit. Is this what to expect? or are there some in the 7-10k lb range?,,,gregg

Broke boater I think you need to look at the GVWR and the GCWR. Subtract Gvwr. From GCWR .
The GVWR would include what's in the rv including carrying capacity. There are many experts in this forum and will chime in with more details.

...I think you need to look at the GVWR and the GCWR. Subtract Gvwr. From GCWR .

That's fine, up to a point. But the hitch receiver must also be up to handling the weight, and occasionally that may be the weak spot.

Our 2005  40' Holiday Rambler hitch said it was good for 10,000 lbs. We only ever towed a 2004 Honda CRV and could not even feel it back there.

Bill

Our Winnebago has a 10,000 lb tow rating, 10,000 lb trailer hitch rating but also has a sticker that says drawbar max vertical tongue weight of 500 lbs.
From looking at the figures, I think it is to not overload the rear axle rating.
My thinking is maybe running with near empty water tanks, might give a little more vertical weight factor.

My Country Coach DP hitch is rated at 15,000 pounds.

The rear frame members on most DPs are bolted together to allow easier removal of the engine if needed.

I had them all welded to increase the strength and integrity of the rear end and receiver hitch.  It did not officially change the rating in any way other than as relative to my own peace of mind.

There is also a way to address the issue of maximum hitch weight on the rear end.
I added a Trailer Toad to take all the weight off the receiver and support it with the extra axle of the Trailer Toad while pulling a Stacker Trailer,

Attachments

• r20151013_125504.jpg
    r20151013_125504.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 30
  • r20151015_122415.jpg
    r20151015_122415.jpg
    335.9 KB · Views: 27
Rarely will a DP have a tow capacity less than 10,000 lbs and most are 15,000.    5000 is more typical of a gas chassis coach.

You may be looking for the words "tow capacity", but the brochure specs are more likely to list (separately) GCWR and a receiver or hitch rating.  The max tow capacity is the lesser of (GCWR-GVWR) or the receiver hitch rating.

Looking at the OPs avatar, it looks like he wants to tow a boat,, no problem with the tow, BUT,, choose the towing vehicle VERY CAREFULLY it you wish to launch the boat with it.. This is where OVERHANG will be critical.>>>Dan

Some of the smaller models are in the 5k or less range, e.g. the Tiffin Breeze and Thor Palazzo.  They us a small chassis that is light duty in many ways, so towing in limited. 

Many of the Super-C diesels will also have 10k or more tow capacity and they are probably more suitable if you plan to launch the boat using the coach on the ramp. Tor Magnitude, for example.

Definitely towing a boat but not the Skipjack in the Avatar. Along with a different boat also a Jeep cj7 and a Harley. I'm building a custom trailer that will haul all three. Build figures come in around 8500lbs including the trailer. Need the Jeep for launching and having a free'd up vehicle, the Harley,, just because we've been bikers for years and ride every chance we can,,,gregg 

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom