Drag Link

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think it’s a Ford but it could be Chevy. It’s has Ford rotors and calipers but the master brake cylinder is for a p30.

Last edited:
The Drag link is a rod. each end of the rod is a tie rod end (so you know) that's the part that wears out.
Those.. A good auto parts man can measure. Take a look at your VIN and likely hand you a matched set

The VIN number or any existing manuals will not apply to Revcon. Yes, Revcon did publish a service manual at the time, but none of those numbers will cross reference to anything new. There are a few places that will sell generic tie rod ends. You can go by the shaft diameter.
Some of the wear parts are common to automotive, but some are generic industrial or agricultural parts. You just need to know what you are looking for. We have put together several cross references over the years. Come over to http://www.policeinterceptor.com/revcon[1].htm We have a bunch of reference information there. There was a yahoo group known as Revcon_Curious. That group had the most extensive information available. When Yahoo closed Geocities, the posts - all 20,000 of them were transferred over to the Police Interceptor site. We don't have the excitement and traffic we use to have, but there are a few new posts from time to time.

Duhhh, It just dawned on me, the Revcon is front-wheel drive, which means the steering components are part of the front-wheel drive. So the drag link might be GM.

Last edited:
Its not GM. The P30 steering components are smaller, as they could not stand up against the torque of pulling that much weight. Yes, the original 70s Revcons were based on the Toro front end, but once that was discontinued, everything was custom. There are various components from GM, Ford and Dodge all used in the front suspension. And then some are agricultural.
The guy who designed the front end was Peter Bryant. Prior to working for Revcon, he raced Formula 1, and then later CAN-AM. His claim to fame was the T22 Titanium car. The combination of the lightweight Titanium, and the aerodynamic downforce that at speeds over 100 mph, the car could have been driven on an upside down track. When Peter passed away, all of the documentation and drawings for Revcon were donated to the Henry Ford Museum archives.

Dave I just read some of the fourms on your website, one post says the drag link from a Hummer might work.
Sound like a trip the the Henry Ford museum might be a good Idea for the OP/revcongeorgia. There he can find the exact drag link used.

Last edited:
The drag link was a TRW part #18VTS5237ALL. As far as the Hummer part, that is the lower ball joint. This is an H1 part, prior to GM ownership. (not the GM H2 product) This was a discovery I made nearly 20 years ago. The lower ball joint was scarce and therefore expensive. Figuring a wear part like that had to be common, I went digging. As it turns out, AM General had issue with the lower ball joint failing. As a result, there were photos on the internet of the old ball joint and the new larger ball joint. From the photos, I recognized the unique bolt pattern, went to a Hummer dealer (now bought out by GM), and compared it to my worn one. The pin was the same taper and size, but the bolt pattern was slightly larger, however I could see that some minor redrilling would make it fit. So I converted mine, and everyone else followed. I think I made the guy who had the only ones in stock, a little mad, as he ended up with 4 lowers he couldn't sell.
All the hard parts on the Revcon are custom. For instance, the lower A-frames are obviously welded square tubes. The upper is bent pipe, welded and reinforced. The bellcranks were custom cast specifically for Revcon. (I drilled mine and converted to tapered roller bearings instead of the sleeve bearings.) Steering gear box is Dodge - reverse rotation. The front disc brakes are not Ford, but Ford will work if you have them turned down 1/4 inch. Ford brake calipers will fit the front end. The spindle is not Ford, and no one knows where it came from. It likely was custom cast. Since the guy who designed all this stuff was a racer, it is likely that it was common place to have custom parts built. Front shocks were Carrera, but I retrofitted Koni FSD to fit mine.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom