Dreaded water damage!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi there, we have a 2012 28 ft bunk house Keystone Springdale (no slide) trailer. It has been a great little trailer for our use (about 3 wks in the summer for family of 4). We normally keep it under cover but it was outside this spring and got a fair amount of rain. Anyway, now the doorway and utility doorway are soft for about 5 inches inward for both doors. Hubby says he has never caulked the trailer (I know this is terrible, I thought he had). How bad is this damage? The walls are not damaged, can't see any water staining anywhere.  Everything works. Thoughts on cost of repairs or any advice when going to repair shops? Thank you.

lynnmor

SunshineAndHayfields said:
Thoughts on cost of repairs or any advice when going to repair shops? Thank you.

There aren't any answers till you open things up to determine the extent of the damage.  Do it yourself costs should be minimal, but if you are paying for labor it might be considerable.  Consider calling a mobile repair service for his advice even if you need to pay for a service call.

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
"Soft" is a bad sign, typically meaning actual rotted wood rather than just some wetness that will go away in time.  To me, the softness means it has to be opened up and evaluated to see how severe it is.

ksbowman

Our second 5th wheel (Keystone Outback) had a soft spot on the floor right behind the outside kitchen. I had the previous owner look at it before I bought it and they denied there was anything wrong . I knew better so I made sure I bought it right not knowing I would have to work on it. When I got it home I pulled up the flooring and cut out the floor back to solid wood. Then framed the sub floor (except with cca lumber) like I would a residential home on 16" centers. Then I put in new plywood flooring, not particle board like what was there originally. Fixed the leaking outside Kitchen door. We had it for six years afterward and had absolutely no problems after that. I replaced all bad wood for less than $50 and I think it was better than the original by far.

Top Bottom