Drilling holes in hitch bracket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SMR

I am going to install a receiver hitch on the camper, the bracket on the trailer frame is not high enough to allow the bottom 2 bolts to work, about a quarter inch longer would of been nice
My question is can I drill 2 more holes in the reciever bracket pictured without messing up the integrity of the bracket.  I would move the new holes up and in about 2 inches. The bracket is about a quarter inch thick.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20210107_105107_copy_612x816.jpg
    20210107_105107_copy_612x816.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 102
I would suggest that if you do that you use grade 8 bolts with lock washers and large regular washers on both the inner and outer surfaces to spread the load.

Thanks Kev,

Actually not bad,  I posted an update on the original post.  Blood sugar is a problem. see update,  still 400, after all night.

Wearing a smart fir watch for pulse ox.

Sorry about hijacking this thread.  The Mods might want to move it.

SMR said:
I am going to install a receiver hitch on the camper, the bracket on the trailer frame is not high enough to allow the bottom 2 bolts to work, about a quarter inch longer would of been nice
My question is can I drill 2 more holes in the reciever bracket pictured without messing up the integrity of the bracket.  I would move the new holes up and in about 2 inches. The bracket is about a quarter inch thick.

Thanks

You are probably ok with the "in" part but you need to be very careful about edge distance on the "up" part.  Maybe stick some "post-it" dots on the proposed location and post a new pic for better comments.

Of the top of my head standard edge distance is like 4 X D (diameter of bolt)

HueyPilotVN said:
Thanks Kev,

Actually not bad,  I posted an update on the original post.  Blood sugar is a problem. see update,  still 400, after all night.

Wearing a smart fir watch for pulse ox.

Sorry about hijacking this thread.  The Mods might want to move it.

Re Blood sugar.. True story:  My old Primary Doctor claimed he had lots of Diabetic patients and knew all about treatment of Diabetes.. I feel sorry for them. (his patients) because it did not take me long to learn more than he about diabetes...  So I hired an ENDO.  (Endocrinologist).  and well that was around 1990 (Diagnosed in 1988)

REcently I had a heart procedure the anesthesiologist expressed surprise because that's 30 years and he said I did not look like I'd had diabetes for 30 years.... My blood glucose at the moment per Libre-Link 116

As to the hitch. If you are talking about drilling the flat plate the receiver is welded to.. No problem.

Steve, I don?t know if it?s just me but I?m having a hard time understanding what you are up against. Can you zoom out and take a couple more pictures of the receiver and maybe one of where it?s going to be bolted to. Thanks

Here are a few pics. Going to drill through existing bracket and hitch bracket to add one more bolt.

Attachments

• 20210112_111748.jpg
    20210112_111748.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 20210112_111736_copy_612x816_1.jpg
    20210112_111736_copy_612x816_1.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 33
I think I'd cut off the top of the bracket to let it fit higher up.  Maybe just to where the existing holes will align (height wise) with the existing holes in the frame?  That thing is awfully low and will be dragging the ground a lot.

That?s the wrong receiver for your application. Way too low. Many solutions. Custom built probably the best.
That hitch looks like it?s for a lifted vehicle.

It looks lower because we are sloping forward,  same hitch my friend put on his Bighorn, also a 42', and no issues in 3 years. Its on now and ready for the bikes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom