Drinking water hose...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ClickHill said:

That does look tempting-- however I'd have to overcome my aversion to corny, over-acted video demonstrations.  ;D
I did note when I searched for "metal garden hose" there are a number of different manufacturers out there, some for less $$$. Not sure how they all might compare of course.

John From Detroit said:
Not sure if it said "Poatable" on the package but.. I filter.  twice.

You definitely want potable water hoses.  :)) :)) :))

Not a garden hose or non-potable hose.

Otherwise they are allowed to use lead and other unsafe chemicals to make up the hoses. PVC (vinyl) hoses frequently contained elevated lead, bromine, antimony, and phthalates in the flexible hose part.

See:
https://saferchemicals.org/newsroom/new-study-rates-best-and-worst-garden-hoses/

I just bought one of these.  I have not yet used it, but appears to be flexible enough, and NSF rated.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003P9XAAA.

Attachments

• 719hs7AaJVL._SL1200_[1].jpg
    719hs7AaJVL._SL1200_[1].jpg
    107 KB · Views: 11
Senator said:
I just bought one of these.  I have not yet used it, but appears to be flexible enough, and NSF rated.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003P9XAAA.

That 7/16" ID makes for a lower flow rate compared to the 5/8" or even 1/2" ID hoses.

I prefer a white 1/2" hose because dark colored hoses get hotter in the sun, and larger hoses contain more hot water than smaller hoses.

NY_Dutch said:
I have a 10' "Flexilla" hose that stays very flexible in cold weather. I'm thinking of ordering a couple of 25' hoses to replace the stiffer Camco hoses I currently use.
My issue with hoses is kinking, and I noticed that the Flexzilla always says it's kink-free under pressure.  I never hook up to city water and use my hoses only to fill my fresh water tank, so the "under pressure" requirement gives me pause.

My hoses are all at least 10 years old and they don't kink or have much memory.  I need a couple more, but I'm worried that newer ones won't be the same as my older ones.

I can kink my Flexzilla hose when it's not under pressure if I try to kink it, but it's much harder to do than kinking my Camco hoses that are also harder to coil when cold. If your current hoses don't kink and stay flexible when cold, then try to find some more just like them I guess.

NY_Dutch said:
That 7/16" ID makes for a lower flow rate compared to the 5/8" or even 1/2" ID hoses.

It probably does, but an entire house typically only has a 3/4" main coming in.  Are you running several things at once you need the volume that 8/8" provides?  Do you really think an RV needs a 5/8" hose to have good pressure?

I am MUCH more concerned about weight, and ease of use.

Senator said:
It probably does, but an entire house typically only has a 3/4" main coming in.  Are you running several things at once you need the volume that 8/8" provides?  Do you really think an RV needs a 5/8" hose to have good pressure?

3/4" will have 4 times the area of a 7/16", pressure will be the same till flow begins, then it will drop much more with the smaller hose.  That said, if you have enough flow to suit you, then use the smallest hose that does the job.

Senator said:

We do open more than one faucet at times, although a 1/2' hose is probably adequate for most uses. The Flexzilla hose stays very flexible even in freezing temps, and is quite light to carry around. It is a bit bulkier than smaller diameter hoses of course, but hose storage space is not a problem for us.

The internal passages in a faucet fixture are only about 1/4 inch in diameter, as is the hose going to the showerhead.  So unless you open several fixtures at once it won't make much difference if the hose connecting the RV to the shore water spigot is  7/16", 1/2" or 2"  in diameter.

NY_Dutch said:
We do open more than one faucet at times, although a 1/2' hose is probably adequate for most uses. The Flexzilla hose stays very flexible even in freezing temps, and is quite light to carry around. It is a bit bulkier than smaller diameter hoses of course, but hose storage space is not a problem for us.

Both the Flexila and the Water Right 400 Series Polyurethane say they are drinking water safe.  Only the Water Right says NSF and FDA.

Both have good reviews.

Senator said:
Both the Flexila and the Water Right 400 Series Polyurethane say they are drinking water safe.  Only the Water Right says NSF and FDA.

Both have good reviews.

I have to wonder just what the risk factor is for an "ordinary" garden type hose. While I'm definitely in favor of using only hoses rated safe, I would think a person would have to consume a LOT of water over an extended period of time in order to suffer ill effects from "non safe" hoses. But then again, I suppose there's varying levels of non-safeness...

We typically buy a few gallons of bottled water which we use for coffee and such and only use site water for everything else.

IF YOU LET THE WATER RUN before drinking then you are probably safe, however if the water sits in the hose specially in the heat then chemicals will leach into the water. I would be specially concerned with lead levels if I had grand children drinking from the faucet. Most RV filters do not filter lead or other toxins

jymbee said:
You may not be interested however others reading the thread might be. That's the nature of any forum in that comments can and often do wander off from the original post. I don't think any off topic comments are disrespectful in any sense. Just my $.02.
:)) :)) :)) Glad you posted that because I feel the same way. Threads often drift all around a subject.  No need to get ticked - who knows you may learn something.

I would try Teknor Apex NeverKink, boat and camper, Drinking Water Safe Hose. My friend recommended me this one because I don't want the coil up hose either.

leasar said:
I would try Teknor Apex NeverKink, boat and camper, Drinking Water Safe Hose. My friend recommended me this one because I don't want the coil up hose either.

I have a few of those, and the "never kink" claim is true. 

I've recently been wrangling them in temperatures below 40 degrees.  They're a little stiff at that temperature, and my usual "alternating" way of coiling them up usually ends up with one coil sticking out because it resisted the twist.  But if I just "rolled" them (not ever reversing direction/twisting), they coil up perfectly.

They definitely don't maintain a coil at warmer temperatures, or when in the sun.  I'm very happy with them.  I just hope they haven't changed them in the 10 years since I bought mine; that always seems to happen.

Markap12013 said:
I use the same. I like it. Very flexible. Also have one in black for tank flush

I replaced my white water hose with the zero g because I was tired of trying to unkink the hose. So far I have been very happy with it, although I only have one for fresh water. I use a regular kinking hose for flushing the blackwater tank.

Back
Top Bottom