Driving a super C?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Super-C Addict here.

They drive like you'd expect a medium-duty commercial truck to drive, but a little more comfortable, and not terribly different from a front-engined Class A. In terms of a Penske/Uhaul box truck, which is often a medium-duty Ford, or the Freightliner M-series, handling characteristics aren't so different than a Super-C. The advantage of having an RV on that chassis is on newer stuff, you'll likely have airbags for the rear suspension, and much more comfortable interior accoutrements including a sprung driver's seat, maybe an air seat. Brakes may be hydraulic or air in a Super C; for example, your Freighliner M-series (M2, or S2RV) are air. Your older C5500/Kodiak rigs are hydraulic, and Fords I've seen equipped with either. Sound deadening is decent; good commercial trucks are designed with all-day driving comfort in mind. Consider the condition of your knees, though. Unlike A's where you often exit through the side (and multiple steps) or a Bus, which also has a nice step-down, your Super C's can be a bit harder to get into (for driving). One or two big steps to get in to both the driver/passenger does. When your knees won't do it anymore, I suppose you can use the side exit for more steps.

Super C's are more intuitive to drive for most because you sit rearward of the front wheels similar to a car or pickup, unlike some A's and pushers where you are sitting on top of, or in front of your steer wheels. Those take a little getting used to, having to delay turn-in, and adjust your mental depth-perception for bumps in the road.

I'm with you on having a driver's door, and the fact that super-C's are trucks. It's just easier to pop in and out, roll down a window, and the "shape of driving" is something you are familiar with - a truck cab with a windshield, a driver's window that rolls down, a center line on a visible hood that you can use to judge approximate distance to the road's edge. Some of us don't like feeling like we're driving on a sofa turned to look out the living room window.

I love big trucks and do a lot of my own basic maintenance. The engine access is generally fantastic on Super C's. Whereas in an A, you're tearing apart the cab to get to the engine or working from a portal in the front panel or side, with a Super C you hang your weight off the hood from the bumper, and it opens rearward to expose both sides of the engine for easy maintenance, plus you get a good view of your steer tires, front suspension, and brakes.... Oil changes are stupid-simple as well as pre-trip inspections up front. And standing on the tank/running board, or tires when the hood up makes for easy windshield cleaning without a ladder.

I've got an older C5500 (Jayco Seneca 34SS). It was one of the earlier Class C's and the C5500 was a cost-cut platform, so the ride isn't great. Leaf springs in the front, leafs in the rear, front axle is an I-beam. Bumps in the road cause a lot of side-side motion and jouncing which requires steering correction. Newer Freighliner S2RV's and M2's are a bit better to drive, the J-ride setup in the new Senecas (basically a combination of shocks, springs, bushings, anti-roll bars, etc) help to make it as pleasant as possible, but nobody can hide the fact they're built on an actual truck. All RV's are, really, it's just a matter of how much money the coach builder spent to make the suspension both adequate and comfortable. Adequate is not a problem in S2RV's, M2's. Where as many van-based class C's are built within an inch of their chassis capacities, Super C's tend to be overkill unless the objective is to tow really heavy. Overkill is good, in my book.

Your M2's and S2RV's are diesels, different variations of inline 6-cylinder Cummins engines. Plenty of power. But diesels make a lot of heat under load; you'll definitely notice the cooling fans spinning up a tornado when climbing grades; just like a truck.

You can't experience it on a message board. The answer is to go drive one.

jklingel, I understand your feelings about needing more than one door. This is one of the reasons I bought a class C.

The Freightliner S2rv and M2 have air bags in the rear, U haul and Penske don't (at least the ones I have driven).. So the ride is better than either.. If you were to compare it to a Class A with out air ride I would bet its not that different.. The diesel pushers are the best ride, I have had in Motorhome.. But to me the serviceability is a big deal. Being able to have a non RV mechanic work on it is huge.. Loved my DP until it had to be worked on..

I'm kind of stuck with upsizing from my 24' LazyDaze. I won't drive a 30' rig on an E450, but "need" more length, so class C's are out and class A's are appealing. The problem with class A's is claustrophobia; no front door(s?) until you get too spendy (new prices, at least). So, I'm looking at super C's and wondering if they drive like the truck they look like. Are they pretty comfy to drive, as a class C is? If so, that is about my only hangup with them. In fact, I kind of like the idea of driving a mini 18-wheeler. Thanks for the info. j
I just finished reading a web site that discussed the differences between an E350 and E450 platform for a class C RV.

What are your reasons for avoiding a 30' or larger Class C on an E450? I understand they have a stiffer suspension than the E350. Is that the main issue for you - driving too much like a truck?

I'm considering +/-10 year old, 26 to 30' class C options and wonder if there are some chassis or factory modifications that improve the ride over what the stock truck configuration would provide.

As an aside, I agree that it's amusing that if you don't agree with or have a different need than what the poster advises that suddenly he declares (sarcastically) that you know everything there is about RVing. Congratulations on your new status!

Possible word replacements for "claustrophobia": Constrained, confined, imprisoned, sealed up. Your welcome. Glad to be of service.;)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom