Driving In The Left Lane

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When in a city and there are 3 lanes, I do tend to take the coach in the middle lane. I think it’s best to keep Rosie’s pokey butt out of the way of traffic that’s entering and exiting. (And about the only time Rosie sees the left lane is when we need to make a left exit.)

Last edited:
I would posit those same folks that enjoy the left lane so much also have no clue how to merge into traffic. They expect you to either speed up or slow down to accommodate them.

I think Alaska has the right idea. I remember driving from Soldatna to Homer in three lane hwy 1. one lane each way and the middle for passing in either direction.

I think Alaska has the right idea. I remember driving from Soldatna to Homer in three lane hwy 1. one lane each way and the middle for passing in either direction.
Perhaps right for some parts of AK. I assume very little traffic there! I doubt that would work well close to Los Angeles.

-Don- Salton Sea SRA, CA

Perhaps right for some parts of AK. I assume very little traffic there! I doubt that would work well close to Los Angeles.

-Don- Salton Sea SRA, CA

It actually helps more when there is traffic as it gives you a free lane to pass. When there is no traffic, you just use the opposite lane, the extra middle lane reduces the head on collisions. I've driven many 2 lane roads with plenty of room for a third lane for passing but instead the road is widened for pullouts. Driving through Texas, Louisiana and Mississipi I would have appreciated the "free" passing lane to get around the trucks.

It would work on Hwy 5 between San Francisco and the grapevine. Add a middle lane only for passing the slow truckers going and coming from Washington and Oregon.

We don't have much freeway, but the left-laners are horrible where we do. Two different signs you see posted-
"Slower traffic keep right" is not very effective because of those types already discussed who figure they're already doing the speed limit so they aren't slow. (This is flawed thinking as the sign says slower, as in, if someone is up your butt, you are slower)
"Keep right except to pass" is perfect. If you are not in the act of passing, get out of the passing lane.

You do know that your signed rental agreement was to not exceed 55 MPH. They were probably establishing a legal case. The wheels on the U-haul trailer are designed to pop off at 56 MPH! Didn't you notice the 55 MPH max decal?
Yup, and if something had happened, "I was right at 55" is exactly what I would have said. ;)

I think the decal on the fenders actually said 45!

Yup, and if something had happened, "I was right at 55" is exactly what I would have said. ;)

I think the decal on the fenders actually said 45!

Yes, they were all 45 MPH, but then U-haul got more reasonable since doing 45 MPH in an 80 MPH speed limit on Wyoming I-80 might not be safe with the tractor trailer traffic doing 85. Much better to get hit in the rear doing 55.

I would posit those same folks that enjoy the left lane so much also have no clue how to merge into traffic. They expect you to either speed up or slow down to accommodate them.

I've made a habit of skimming our State's driver's guide as it gets updated. Continuing education, right?

This is actually law in Washington state now. Drivers already in the lane of travel have a duty to safely merge with whichever drunk/texting/inattentive/slowpoke decides to merge on to the freeway. That can mean moving over, or slowing down to create enough space for them. I'm not joking. This is a change from when the owness to merge safely was the primary responsibility of the merging vehicle.

I've mostly done that anyway my whole life to avoid any incidents, but sometimes it's not possible or safe.

Safe > legal.

his is actually law in Washington state now. Drivers already in the lane of travel have a duty to safely merge with whichever drunk/texting/inattentive/slowpoke decides to merge on to the freeway
Wow! What a way to code danger into state law. Personally I prefer the safer method of not having to snarl traffic behind me by stomping on the brake for someone entering the highway.

I do move over if I can but I leave it up to the person merging to either speed up or slow down to enter the highway.
Couldn't agree more. In those cases when you can't move to the left the drivers entering the highway on your right see you. Maintain a steady speed and it's up to them to either get ahead of you or behind. Of course be prepared to react in the event some drivers make dumb moves.

Couldn't agree more. In those cases when you can't move to the left the drivers entering the highway on your right see you. Maintain a steady speed and it's up to them to either get ahead of you or behind. Of course be prepared to react in the event some drivers make dumb moves.

I wouldn't try maintaining a steady speed on I-80 in Wyoming and hope that the driver entering gets either ahead or behind. It's fairly common for us to be the only pickup truck towing our TT in a sea of 18 wheelers. Cutting off one isn't a good idea. Best to slow down and let them merge in. It's different if it were cars.

I80VedauwooWest-980.jpg

PA has had that law for quite a while. Doesn't work. I have seen state police cars do it. All that does is slow down traffic in the right lane until the LEO is out of sight.
Once a police SUV actually passed a slower left lane driver on the right side. Couldn't be bothered to hit his lights.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom