Driving with lp generator on, a question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BackAgain

Hello,

We have just returned to RVing with the purchase of a 2020 Coachman Prism Class C.  We have never had a generator before, and this model has an LP generator.  I know there is controversy about running the LP refrigerator while driving, and we understand that controversy.  What we can't figure out is the safety of driving while using the LP generator, since there is no flame involved in its use?

Lots of things we've seen say "go ahead and use it".  But we have seen nothing about safety.  I found one site that said " It's illegal to have your vehicle in motion with your propane tank valves open" quoting the National Fire Protection Association.  That confused us since we know there are vehicles that run on LP gas.

Any helpful input on safety would be appreciated.  (We would use the generator while driving on exceptionally hot days -- we are about to drive from Arizona to Minnesota -- and would then run the refrigerator off of the generator too, rather than directly off of the LP).

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dash AC systems just can't keep a motorhome's interior comfortable on really hot days. There's just too much area. We cross the So Cal and Arizona deserts several times a year - often in the summer, and it's not unusual to see 115 degrees on the thermometer. Our diesel generator is on and powering three roof airs in those instances.

I have never heard of a law prohibiting the use of an LP generator while on the open road, but that doesn't mean one doesn't exist. There are laws, however, that require pilot lights to be extinguished, and propane valves to be closed when refueling, and when driving through some tunnels.

IMO the risks associated with driving modern RVs on the open road with a generator on (of any type) or with a pilot light lit, are minimal (at best) and it's done all the time.

Kev

Some tunnels require that LP  be turned off. Others prohibit more than xx pounds of LP. (Generally an RV is allowed but trucks carrying LP for Delivery are not).. Generally means "Not necessary all the time"

If you want to know why they prohibit the Transport Trucks. Well S. Stallone starred in a movie where a truck load of propane took a tunnel (Lincoln) and bad things happened.. FICTION true the Movie is Fiction.. But the FEAR it might happen is real..  (Is the fear rational?  That is above my pay grade but I suspect... NOT)

I found one site that said " It's illegal to have your vehicle in motion with your propane tank valves open" quoting the National Fire Protection Association.

I'm quite confident that is erroneous information. To the best of my knowledge not a single state prohibits that except in special situations, e.g. tunnels that dip below grade. Nor does the NFPA 58 have any blanket prohibition like that. However, there are special rules for transporting LP bottles and similar situations. I suspect that site has quoted something out of context.

There are also differences between ASME-spec tanks mounted in vehicles and the portable DOT-spec LP bottles. ASME tanks are designed to higher standards to enable safe use in or on vehicles.

Some people worry about an open flame while others focus more on gas line ruptures in the event of an accident. That either could be dangerous is undeniable, but accident statistics clearly show that LP gas usage in vehicles is an insignificant source of injury or death. Automobile engine fires are in fact a much more common issue than LP gas fires. Ditto for exploding batteries.

I didn?t know there was a controversy about running a generator while in motion. It?s a common practice, done every day.

Thanks!  That helps a lot.  Especially the info about newer lp tanks.

Really new to this site, and the information and quick responses are so appreciated.

I didn?t know there was a controversy about running a generator while in motion.
LOL!  On the Internet, there is a controversy about anything you could name. Breast feeding, radio waves, and whether Elvis is really dead. Why would generator usage be any different?  ;)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom