Dry washing your RV at a seasonal campsite?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maanameg

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to wash your RV at a seasonal campsite when washing your RV at your site is NOT allowed? Is there such a thing as 'dry washing?' Has anyone ever tried this before and how did it turn out? What was used, techniques, etc.? I do NOT have the option to move the camper to take it somewhere to wash it. Thanks so much!

There are numerous "waterless car wash" products on the market and they all work well enough. They are basically just really light duty car/boat/RV polishes that wipe on/off easily. The drawback with any of them is that they can't float/rinse away mud or sand, so you need to be extra careful to avoid scratching the finish if you have that kind of dirt. Change pad or towel frequently so that grains of coarse dirt aren't rubbed across the surface.

Some brands are Meguiars or Mothers Waterless Wash, Aero Wash/wax, Adam's, etc.

Another thing that might help, is a light spray of water and a squeegee. Thanks to a seminar I took several years ago, I bought a one gallon weed sprayer (Ace Hardware, etc.) and keep it filled with water. Just pump it up and it's sprays very lightly, then I use a squeegee (and paper towel) to get the water off. Some of the same cautions apply that Gary mentioned above, though, about scratching the finish. It's also great on the windshield.

My sprayer is similar to this one:

I don't know about the title above, but the link works.

There are several vendors who stalk the campground where we stay in Yuma, AZ. The resort doesn't allow washing but these guys bring their own water. The campground has no problem with them.

They power and hand wash, hand wax and buff all for $125. They sometimes do the car for free but usually add $10 for it. Most are using Meguiars products.

Takes me three days and it half kills me. And that's if I don't fall off of the ladder.

There are several vendors who stalk the campground where we stay in Yuma, AZ. The resort doesn't allow washing but these guys bring their own water. The campground has no problem with them.
I once had a vendor in Lake Havasu do mine, and they did a great job. When I wash my coach at home I'll use a pressure washer (care needed at every seam) and an extendable handled washing brush with some car washing soap (Turtle Wax), but often I'll take the coach to a Blue Beacon truck wash, where they do a hand wash (with pressure washers and care), as well as an automatic spray that gets under and on top of the coach. I'm well pleased at $47 for my 38 footer.

But at a campsite, I'll often do as I described in my previous post.

I once had a vendor in Lake Havasu do mine, and they did a great job. When I wash my coach at home I'll use a pressure washer (care needed at every seam) and an extendable handled washing brush with some car washing soap (Turtle Wax), but often I'll take the coach to a Blue Beacon truck wash, where they do a hand wash (with pressure washers and care), as well as an automatic spray that gets under and on top of the coach. I'm well pleased at $47 for my 38 footer.

But at a campsite, I'll often do as I described in my previous post.
Oh wow! Thank you so much!

They power and hand wash, hand wax and buff all for $125. They sometimes do the car for free but usually add $10 for it. Most are using Meguiars products.

Takes me three days and it half kills me. And that's if I don't fall off of the ladder.
Oh no! Be careful! :p Thanks for the info!

Another thing that might help, is a light spray of water and a squeegee. Thanks to a seminar I took several years ago, I bought a one gallon weed sprayer (Ace Hardware, etc.) and keep it filled with water. Just pump it up and it's sprays very lightly, then I use a squeegee (and paper towel) to get the water off. Some of the same cautions apply that Gary mentioned above, though, about scratching the finish. It's also great on the windshield.

My sprayer is similar to this one:

I don't know about the title above, but the link works.
Sweet! I was thinking something similar to your suggestion, this helps a lot! I might have to go this route because where I'm located is no where near a city where there may be professionals that come to your site. Thanks a bunch!

Larry, I am going to have to buy the pressure sprayer you mention. I get so tired of taking two big bowls to wash the front of the rig (one for clean, one for dirty). Sounds like a much easier approach. I also have the Aerowash system, but haven’t used it yet, mostly because we have too much dust on the rig! A quick rinse down would sure help.

I've never encountered a campground that objected to washing a windshield with bucket & brush, but quite a few have a flat NO on washing. Having worked 8 summers in campground maintenance, I can say with assurance that its rarely water consumption that is the issue. It's more often the resulting puddles and/or overspray on neighbors sites that make it a nuisance. Another case where careless actions by some result in prohibition for all. Some of those places allow pro wash services because they can be managed (threatened) if they get sloppy.

Thanks to a seminar I took several years ago, I bought a one gallon weed sprayer (Ace Hardware, etc.) and keep it filled with water.
I always carried a 1-quart spray bottle containing a 10% white vinegar solution. That and a microfiber cloth did a fine job of cleaning everything within easy reach. A slightly larger size and a long-handled mop of some sort ought to reach everything.

Just adding my $0.02 that I wish more campgrounds would have a site for washing. Dry wash or a little spritz and a squeegee doesn't clean up layers of bugs, brake dust, wheel grime. At minimum I need a hose, bucket, brush. It's so nice when the RV is clean and not everything is covered in dirt and dust. I'd gladly pay $10 just for the use of a charged garden hose! A clean RV is a happy RV (and driver).

I just purchased a Wash Wax All Kit from Aero Cosmetics. A ton of positive reviews on forums and met a few fellow RVers who have been using it for years. I tried "The Solution" which works well but with the mop on the Aero kit, I won't have to get on the ladder as often to dry wash it.

I just purchased a Wash Wax All Kit from Aero Cosmetics. A ton of positive reviews on forums and met a few fellow RVers who have been using it for years. I tried "The Solution" which works well but with the mop on the Aero kit, I won't have to get on the ladder as often to dry wash it.

That's what I use, takes a few hours and the camper looks great. I try to get it done every month.

Another vote for the wash / wax all from aero cosmetics. As others have said, you can't use it on heavily soiled RV due to potential scratches, but as a way to freshen the exterior and clean the bugs from the nosecap, love it!

Been using the Aero Cosmetics waterless wash/wax product for 2 years. Works great is just lightly soiled. Use a lot of the microfiber wipes to avoid the paint scratching.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom