DTV Picture problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jerryarlyne

Since I switched to DTV I have had a problem with the picture pixilating every time I try to use the microwave or the electric water heater. It only seems to effect the higher channels and I never had this happen with the Dish receiver.  Anyone have an answer or a way to fix this?

Jerry Ray

Jim,
You know I am electricity challanged, I haven't a clue how to do that. I didn't have this problem with the Dish receiver so I'm not sure if I have a problem or if Direct has one. It funny that it doesn't happen but on the higher channels.

Jerry

I thought I would wait until Monday to challenge the local brain trust and see if some one else had an answer so that I wouldn't have to appear to dumb to the local gurus :-[

Two posibilities.  1: as someone suggested when you turn on the big power suckers (microwave or hwh) voltages may be dropping just a volt or two,  The higher channels need more enegery from the receiver to work so are more senestive to lower voltage (I have done tests and studies on this, though not at satellite frequencies) this assumes the higher channels are, indeed, higher frequencies on the transponder

In the specific case of the microwave, leakage causing interference is possible, though odds are right close to winning the lotto

Since it's channel related, I would suspect some form of interference, but not from the water heater, just the MW.  To see if it's related to power line voltage, you would need to put a voltmeter on the receiver outlet and see if the voltage drops when the MW or water heater goes on, but I wouldn't expect that to be channel related.  However, anything is possible :)

You have multiple receivers if I recall, does this only happen on one?  If so, then I would report it as a receiver problem and have them exchange it.  It's brand new, so there shouldn't be a problem.

Ned,
It does happen to both receivers in the coach but not to the one in the screen room. Of course that one is not powered through the coach. What procedure would I use to check for a voltage drop?

I would be willing to bet that one or more of your coax connectors is now screwed in correctly, has the shield pulled loose, or the center conductor is too short. Most likely at the receiver(s), splitter (if you have one), video switching box, or the t.v's themselves. Not likely at the antenna as that would affect all receivers/t.v's, but worth a check too. 

Thanks Karl,

I'll start pulling the connectors and checking them. It's funny that it only happens with the Direct receiver not with the Dish receiver on the same channels. I guess the Direct one must be more sensitive to that kind of thing.

Didn't DirecTV send a professional out to install the receivers? I'd call Direct or the guy who did the installation and have them fix it.

Since it happens to 2 receivers, then it's not a bad receiver problem.  Most likely interference from the MW but I can't explain the water heater.  Are you sure it happens when the water heater is on electric?  Do check the coax connections as Karl suggests.

Can't compare the Dish and DirecTV receivers as they use different satellites, transponders, and possibly frequencies.

Jerry,
Some female connectors have the center connection very near the outside while others have it set in a bit, and require a slightly longer male center wire to make contact. Also, just twisting and tugging on the cables can pull the center conductor inwards or loosen up the shield. You should have at least 1/16" of conductor protruding beyond the connector shell; 1/8" is better.

wendycoke said:
Didn't DirecTV send a professional out to install the receivers? I'd call Direct or the guy who did the installation and have them fix it.

Yes they did, and when I called them they said the problem was in my coach not with their system. They would be more then happy to come out and try to find the problem,... for a price.

Karl,

I will start checking all the connectors, I have been switching them around a lot and that may very well be the problem.

Ned on my Bounder there is a switch for the water heater OR the m/w can't use both at the same time, I have a 30 amp coach.

Exactly when does the problem show up, when the MW is running, when it's off, and/or when the water heater is on or off?

Ned said:
Exactly when does the problem show up, when the MW is running, when it's off, and/or when the water heater is on or off?

It happens every time the MW is running or the water heater kicks in.

That's most likely a power problem rather than interference.  You need to measure the voltage at the receiver outlet when the appliances are on and off.  I'll bet you see a significant voltage drop when the MW or WH is on.

Ned,

I tried switching from the dish on the shed to the dish on the roof and the one on the roof doesn't have the problem, only the one on the shed. So it must be a problem in the coax from the multi switch to the pedestal. Of course that is the one buried in the ground in conduit. 

Back
Top Bottom