Ducted Fan Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reidt4

Hoping for some help on an issue with the ducted fans in my Shawdow Cruiser 331BHDS.  Last trip we tried to turn on the AC and it would start and would cool from direct vent, but would not blow throw the ducted vents.  I went up on the roof ant tested the capacitors with multimeter, and they are fine, the condenser was working and the fan was blowing over the coils.  Next I check inside and removed the cover and there does not seem to be anything in the way, but the squirrel cage still is not moving.  I did check the thermostat and it seems to be ok as well.  Thoughts?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not familiar with your trailer. Does it have a separate fan for the ducted outlets?  Most systems are either direct or ducted, but not both. If I read your report correctly, you are saying it blows chilled air via a direct outlet on the a/c, but not through some sort of duct attached to it. If the direct outlet is blowing air, the interior fan must be spinning.

The a/c itself has one motor that drives two fans, one inside and one outside, so the only way the inside could not work while the outside runs is for the motor shaft to break or get disconnected somehow.

By direct I mean there are vent right on the interior plastic moulding, we can feel some cold air there.  The ducts travel through out the trailer and there is no cold air being blown out of there.  When I take the exterior shroud off that fan is turning, but the one that is plastic and I can access from the interior is not turning.

Does the squirrel cage fan turn easily by hand? If it is not turning when fan or cooling is called for by the thermostat then that is your problem. Why it doesn't turn will be for the usual reasons, mainly the fan motor is seized or the capacitor for it is burned out. Possible the control board has an issue as well. Check it for blown fuses.

When you open the vent directly on the interior molding it should be a very forceful amount of air. Those fans move lots of air.

I can move the squirrel cage easily by hand but it does not stay turning.  With regards to cold air there is not a lot, just some.  I have checked the fuses and the capacitor, so it sounds like it is probably the motor itself then?

There may a sliding shutter on the unit called a "quick cool". With the quick cool open, the unit will blow are out there, similar to an unducted unit. Close the quick cool shutter, and air will blow through the ducts.

Back
Top Bottom