Dumping Black Tank - Is it always smelly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djw2112

Everytime i dump the black tank at my permanent spot (stays hooked up all the time) i can still smell the stuff in the air for half hour or so even though i rinse the line. Is that normal?

Is the outlet of the line sealed to the RV septic system?  Something similar to this:

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Connects-Directly-Connection-39313/dp/B000BQQWKA

no i have never seen one of those before, thats cool....  I guess i need to get some of those  :)    Its just hooked up normal.

You said you are permanent on your site. Do you use a standard RV sewer hose. If you do, I'd recommend changing it all to 3" PVC pipe.

Chances are the residual aroma is coming from the open pipe in the septic system rather than the RV, so a seal at the connection might help. However, a lot of aroma from the septic may indicate it is not healthy, so I would dump in a septic biological assist product, e.g. Rid-X or Roebic K37.  It's easy to do - just flush it down a drain and let it flow into the septic tank.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Chances are the residual aroma is coming from the open pipe in the septic system rather than the RV, so a seal at the connection might help. However, a lot of aroma from the septic may indicate it is not healthy, so I would dump in a septic biological assist product, e.g. Rid-X or Roebic K37.  It's easy to do - just flush it down a drain and let it flow into the septic tank.

I already use drop-ins  and i flush the tank with 1 gal of water down the toilet + the toilet water (in a power stream) every time a drain to help get the bottom feeders out.

Rene T said:
You said you are permanent on your site. Do you use a standard RV sewer hose. If you do, I'd recommend changing it all to 3" PVC pipe.

Yes i have seen some here do that, but sadly where i am moving the HOA wont let us do that, RV's have to be ready to go at all times.  What i do is cut a pvc pipe in half and laid it over the top of the hoses to keep the sun from frying them.  It may be time for some new hoses anyway  :)  They been out there over two years.

I already use drop-ins  and i flush the tank with 1 gal of water down the toilet
What sort of "drop-ins"?  Some of the products sold for RV tank usage are preservatives rather than enhancers. The worst of them can kill off the bacteria that make an in-ground septic tank function.

I can't resist this:  Just tell others not to use your toilet since the saying does, your own sh$% doesn't stink!

Ed

Gary RV_Wizard said:
What sort of "drop-ins"?  Some of the products sold for RV tank usage are preservatives rather than enhancers. The worst of them can kill off the bacteria that make an in-ground septic tank function.

The septic tank is probably in need of some serious bacteria treatment.  The good stuff is expensive but if you neglect the septic tank it will result in the drain field will get plugged up then the real expense will start.

As said do not use any of the rv tank enhancers as they are not septic tank friendly.  That is why may dump stations prohibit dumping if you use them in particular any that are formaldehyde based.

djw2112 said:
Yes i have seen some here do that, but sadly where i am moving the HOA wont let us do that, RV's have to be ready to go at all times.  What i do is cut a pvc pipe in half and laid it over the top of the hoses to keep the sun from frying them.  It may be time for some new hoses anyway  :)  They been out there over two years.

Would they allow 3" PVC connected like this?    https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Valterra-Rotating-Pipe-Adapter-p/89-8013.htm

You get the advantage of the PVC and with a quick disconnect so you are ready to go.

I'm thinking the smell is outdoors and trying to add chemicals to a campground septic system would take quite a bit of chemicals and would be fruitless.

I have this problem early in the season in Casa Grande,
We are on sewers and this happens, as well MY theory is that until everyone arrives there are lots of dry traps and the smell vents out of the unused units.

As for the septic tank. You have not mentioned how far you are from the septic tank. Yet they are telling you to do things to the tank.

trying to add chemicals to a campground septic system would take quite a bit of chemicals and would be fruitless.
Excellent point. When he said "permanent site", I was thinking a private site & septic, but it could be a seasonal campsite as well.  I strongly advise against adding chemicals of any sort to a septic system operated by a campground.

If you are in a campground, I would advise you to talk to the operator of the campground.  They may be unaware of a problem and they would be the ones to properly treat the septic system. m If you are going to use drop ins for your tank, make sure you are using ones that are formaldehyde free.  I use ones from Wallyworld that have citrus scent and are formaldehyde free.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom