Dumping Options Without Hook-Ups

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bdodd444

I just purchased a 1980 27' Taurus Bunkhouse.  It is on my farm in Virginia and I am using it on weekends until the Farmhouse is restored (3 year min project).  Where it is parked it has no water or sewer hook ups.  I haul water to it and fill it up, but I have not used the bathroom because I don't know where to dump.  I need an option in place.  Is there a portable tank you can drain into and then maybe burn it?  I have no idea and I am open to any suggestions.  I don't think running a line to the septic for the farm house is practical.  I don't think I will have to dump very often, so I am open to unsavory ideas as well.  Thanks in advance for any advice.

Brian

Well let met ask a question, Is there anywhere on the farm you can "Dump" safely, (example a toilet in a house near the rig) I'd like said spot to be less than fifty feet as the hose snakes.

If so a macerator pump is the answer.  It hooks to your rig's 3" sewer outlet and chopps tings to tiny bits that flow nicely down a 3/4 inch garden hose.  I have one, and I also purchased a special hose for it,  That hose is BLACK.  (I also have one hose that is GRAY care to guess what it carries) 

The pumps run on 12 volt

In order of bestness:

1. ?Where it is parked no sewer hookups, but are there no approved sewer or septic tank inlets anywhere on the property? ? If so simply move the trailer over to it and dump. ? Consider having that inlet plumbed over to your trailer site. ? Consider getting a macerator pump and a lone 3/4 inch hose to pump the sewage to the inlet. ?See one HERE.

2. ? Hitch up the trailer and:

? ? ? A. ? Find a RV campground in your area that will let you use their dump station for a fee;
? ? ? B. ? Find a public state or county dumpstation;
? ? ? C. ? Find an RV dealer, repair facility or store in you neighborhood which has a dumpstation and pay their fee if any.

3. ? Buy a blue roll a tank -- Click HERE to see examples. ?Do remember that a gallon weighs 8 lbs. ?A 15 gallon tote along weighs 120 lbs. ?That is a lot of....sewage. ? ?;D

Option 1 is probably the best bet for a 3 year term. ?The sewer extension to the trailer site can even be worked in on the project.

If you are dumping to a septic tank do not use formaldehyde products in your tanks. ?Most of do not use any chemistry at all -- bar maybe some non-formaldehyde deordorant in a moment of unusual desperation.

The house is bound to have a septic tank or sewer.  I would use that.

Schedule 40 PVC pipe is cheap and easy.  I'd run it to your septic tank.  If the distance is far, it would still be closer and easier than having to move the rig to dump elsewhere. If there isn't a house trap and fresh air inlet on the house lateral, you can add one now between the house and septic system, and use it to dump in to until the house is completed. When the house is done, you'll just leave it in for future use if you keep the trailer for recreational use. You won't be installing anything you wouildn't have installed for the house anyway.

Unless you're talking about just pure liquid waste, i.e. urine, you're just asking for problems with any rigid piping like Sched. 40 pvc. You'll end up with blockages in short order, especially if you use anything smaller than 4". Consider also that gravity can work for or against you. You'll need a good slope to the septic system for it to work at all. Then there's winter freeze-up's to consider.

And if its a septic Throw some yeast in it to activate the organisms.

I really appreciate everyone weighing in.  I can't access the septic from the outside.  The only thing I could do is dump the waste down the toilet.  Is this feasible?  If so, I like those portable tanks.  Especially the one you can hook up to the four wheeler.  Can you imagine coming through the front door on the four wheeler hauling that load?  "Lucy, I'm home!!" ;D

Using a macerator pump and 50 feet of black 3/4 inch hose (it's black so I don't confuse it with the white fresh water hoses)

I have done exactly that.  In fact I suggested it up thread.  Works well, the only thing you may wish to do is sand bag the hose when it enters the toilet bowl to insure it does not fly back from the force of the stream,  That would be a major mess

Be sure to pump out black, then gray, then some fresh water (Just run the sink a few minutes) then flush to toilet when done

bdodd444 said:
I really appreciate everyone weighing in.? I can't access the septic from the outside.? The only thing I could do is dump the waste down the toilet.? Is this feasible?? If so, I like those portable tanks.? Especially the one you can hook up to the four wheeler.? Can you imagine coming through the front door on the four wheeler hauling that load?? "Lucy, I'm home!!" ;D

No, but I can imagine the part were you lift the tank, or try to, to dump the load into the toilet.    That said, doesn't your old place have a sewer cleanout port someplace around?  If not, sometime in the future you are going to spend a chunk of change to have Roto Rooter run his auger down a rooftop vent to clear a jam.  You should include one in your rehab plans.

Any way, til then, go with the macerator pump and the black 3/4" hose and jam it down into the toilet bowl over the siphon hump. 

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom