Durango to Walsenburg, CO on US 160

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChuckB

How is US 160 in a 26 ft Motorhome (Winnebago Via) with a 4000 lb Wrangler as a Dingy.  I know there a couple passes including Wolf Creek at a little under 11,0000 feet, and then also North La Veta at about 9500 ft.  Also, I'm pretty new to RVing at this point.  We'd likely be making the trip in early June.

Thanks.

The road is good and the passes are easy, although wolf creek is a long pull up and long down grade. La Veta from the west is mostly a easy down grade to I-25.  Watch the weather. Snow is possible, even in June on Wolf Creek, while the valley will be sunny and clear.

Been there.........done that :)

25-Ft Class C/V10 pulling a loaded 16-Ft trailer.............Keep your speed up as you approach Wolf Creek........dropped to 2nd-gear for about 1-mile.

We driven this route with our 38? gas motorhome and CR-V toad. No problems. If memory serves we were in 1st gear down a couple of passes.

If you?re new to mountain driving just be sure to use a low enough gear to control the speed. Assuming the grades up and down are similar use the rule of same gear down that it took climb up.

Hope you know that riding your brakes can cause them to overheat which then equals no brakes.  Too many uniformed folks on Wolf Creek Pass do not know this and kill themselves and others each year.

Last summer we went that route from east to west. Visited friends outside of Pagosa Springs the went the south route going home thru Chama, NM. The southern route was a lot easier and the time seemed the same, also some beautiful camping on the southern route.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom