E-450 Chassis with Triton V-10

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GChapman

I was wondering if it was hard on the engine or transmission to use it as an aid in braking.  When coming down a steep hill, if I step on the brake slightly the transmission will downshift and my rpm's can go up to between 4000 and 4500.  Of course the same is true when we climb a steep grade.  We can sometimes run at this high rpm for five or ten minutes.  Am I being to hard on the engine/transmission?  I might add that we are also towing a Honda CRV.  Thanks for any input.

The Triton V-10 is a high revving engine which hits its' peak hp (265) at 4250 and peak torque (405 ft/lb) at 2750. When pulling in 1st or second gear, it is imited to 5150 rpm and 4800 rpm in third or overdrive by cutting off the fuel. The 4RIOO tranny is basically a E40D shell with new innards and shift controls. When braking and it shifts out of OD, the rpm's could well go into the mid-4000's, but should not be harmful to engine or tranny. Above 4800-5000, I would start using more brake to allow the tranny to cool down some. Apply a firm brake for several seconds to reduce speed, then get back off to let the brakes cool. Better still would be to shift out of OD prior to any steep grades and don't let the speed get too high to begin with. 

If  you look at the new spec's, the 5.4 liter is listed at 300 or 310 hp. and the 6.8 liter at 355 hp. I can't tell you where peak hp. is obtained, but a Google search should turn it up. I would suspect it will be very near the rpm's I stated earlier. They changed the heads in 2005. 

Back
Top Bottom