E-Motorhome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've had side (and rear) cameras blanked by the sun on too many occasions
I have seen that happen one time, but it was my front cameras that were blocked but I also then couldn't see anything out the window in front of me. But I was going less than 5MPH at the time, that was less than a half mile from right here on an early morning when the sun was just barely at ground level.

I have also had sun shine in my mirrors so brightly that they became useless. I assume we have all experienced that as well.

I think when we find the camera won't work because of sun, the mirrors will then also be useless.

Somebody needs to invent something that can see when direct into the sun!

-Don- Auburn, CA

I think when we find the camera won't work because of sun, the mirrors will then also be useless.
I wish that were true, Don. Often (not always) there is some impairment of mirrors when the cameras are blind, but in most cases I can use a hand or hat to block the worst part of the mirror, but the camera can't be worked around like that- a little bad, all bad.

And, it's worse in the rain or slushy roads, when water/road stuff/etc. gets on the camera lense often making it useless, while the mirror, though splashed with the same stuff, isn't nearly as disabled, especially if glare is added to the gunk.

DON'T TAKE AWAY MY MIRRORS! They're still the best way to see behind you.

In what type of vehicle? Perhaps not all backup cameras work the same.

The one time my front cameras were blocked (Tesla) I got a message on the screen that they were blocked, but I also couldn't see out the window. I have never had my rear cameras blocked (yet) and it is the best way (by far) to see what is behind me. But I assume if I turned the car around I would have had the same issue.

I can see everything, no blind areas, when the screen is used.

-Don- Auburn, CA

In what type of vehicle? Perhaps not all backup cameras work the same.
In all three motorhomes that I've had with cameras. I've never had a camera built in to a car, either too low end or too old. My 2007 F-150 DOES have infra red sensors that cause a beeping sound within 6 feet of an object behind me, but that's it.

Hi Ian,

Good to see you here!! I still haven't made it to Australia but dream about it.

--AL
G'day to you, Al. I have not got a Motorhome yet, though I joined with this Framily back in 1996 on CompuServe. One day there will be a GMC Motorhome in my driveway, packed and ready to go.
I know there are only 25 of them here in Australia so if none of those are available when I get the $$$s then I might have to head over your way to get one fixed up for me.
One day...

LOL, true words. Thursday I was Supervising Driver for my Son and DIL. In Australia, Learner Drivers have to have an experienced Driver with them. Though they are 42 + 37 they hadn't picked p their License before now.
So, Thursday I stepped in as Supervisor because my dear was down with a cold. What I had forgotten was that Thursday and Friday, after dropping off my DIL we then had to take my Son into the City where he works on a Govt Help Desk with DXC. We get to his workplace and I take over to get their car (2019 Mazda 3) home. The only problem was, this is the 1st time I have driven it! Fast lesson and off I go. Halfway home on a busy main road and I was in the far right lane to eventually turn right. I reached across to make a slight adjustment to my right mirror. Hit the button and Both mirrors fold in! ARRCGGHH!
Quickly check the rear mirror, and putting on emergency flashers, cross 3 lanes to get to the left lane. Whew! Then traffic is backing up behind me so I crawl forward to a nearby side street. Now I have time to panic as I try to reverse the mirrors. A few minutes later work out the icon on the big button below the mirror adjustment buttons, if you tap it you fold your mirrors in, DOH!
That's what I had tapped when in the turning lane.
Fixed that, mirrors back in place, then had to navigate my way out of the labyrinth to get back on the way home.
What did I learn from this? That Car Designers are idiots for making such a Big button easy to operate with such potentially dangerous results.
Let's get back on topic.
Larry, I found out just what it is like to suddenly not have your side mirrors and it wasn't good for me at all. I agree that replacing the mirrors with cameras is a backward step. However, have at least 4 sides of your RV fitted with cameras is a sensible move and one of the first things I would get when I get my coach.

There are currently about 1.5 billion automobiles in operation worldwide. How do we dispose of those batteries?
I see a lot of people on here saying that the battery technology will improve but can't the same be said about ICE vehicles? After all they have become more efficient over time and can still be improved without the need for everyone to be forced to an EV.”
Sure ICE vehicles can I,prove. Look at all the folks that were forced, over time, to give up their horse and buggy. The Amish are about the only ones that still use them. So yeah, when new technology comes along the old is replaced.
You do kno they rebuilt them they take apart the cells throw away, a couple replace them put the back together places like advance auto ,will sell them to you starting around 1,900 2 to 3 years warranty

Might want to read this even though its about truck comparison.
People need to understand how the mileage estimate works in their EVs. If one does NOT understand that, do NOT even look at it. IMO, it is mostly useless information anyway even when it is understood.

Some recalibrate for the distance to empty every ten miles. Others can be different. What this 10 miles means, is after ten miles it will assume the next ten miles of your drive will be under the exact same conditions. So if you're first going down hill for ten miles and the 2nd ten miles is uphill, expect to get less than half the range shown. If you're first going uphill, expect to get MUCH better mileage than shown for when it changes for downhill.

And there is more to it than that.

I think my 2022 Chevy Bolt shows it the best. It shows a min range and average range and a max range at all times. The rest most people can figure out for an near accurate estimate. IOW, how much is uphill and down hill? What is the weather like? Which direction is the wind? What speed will I be driving at? How much extra weight?

Even on ICE vehicles that give range estimates (many do these days), it is the same type of deal. Useless info on EVs compared to your SOC (or KWs currently used--such as my Bolt has <but Tesla doesn't>). I can get close enough in my head for the near accurate range. Our heads do a better job until somebody figures out a better way to estimate range left on a vehicle.

IOW, say I have a ten KWH battery. I am currently drawing 5KWs. I have two hours to drive under those exact same conditions-ONLY those exact same conditions. But when I am drawing 20 KW with 10 KWHs left, I only have 30 minutes to drive like that.

-Don- Auburn, CA

EV batteries are generally warranted for 8-10 years or 60-100K miles. And that is likely longer than they actually last.
I just came across this article.

The first EV battery lasted 746,000 miles.

Hopefully, they improved the motor's reliability since then.

I know the battery has been improved greatly since 2014. And keeps on getting better.

-Don- Auburn, CA

the battery lasted 8 years.
746K miles shows it had 2,500 around charge cycles. It surely would have lasted 16 years if it had no more than those 2,500 charge cycles in that 746,000 miles. 46,625 miles per year. Average USA driver drives only 14,300 miles per year.

If we take averages here, you will see the battery lasts so long that it is not reasonable to even be concerned with.

OTOH, I hope they have improved the motor reliability since 2014. I assume they have. EV motors have evolved quite a bit since then, especially on electric motorcycles, not sure about Tesla, but I assume the same.

-Don- Auburn, CA

So, the battery lasted 8 years. And the electric motor was replaced 8 times in 8 years.
The 2014 and 2015 model years had some issues with the motor drive unit. Early 2016’s as well. They seem to have it sorted out. This also affected the early model X’s. It was a real pita for some owners for a few years.

The 2014 and 2015 model years had some issues with the motor drive unit. Early 2016’s as well. They seem to have it sorted out. This also affected the early model X’s. It was a real pita for some owners for a few years.
Says here it's now a million-mile (1.6 meg-kilometre) motor.

"The advanced additions to the Tesla power train’s motor enable it to run for million-plus miles."

-Don- Auburn, CA

Last edited:
Just curious, where do you and John and Angela buy your soap boxes? I haven't seen any for sale in years.

Just curious, where do you and John and Angela buy your soap boxes? I haven't seen any for sale in years.
Our soap boxes??? We are contributing members of the forum with in depth, long term and first hand experience with electric vehicles, charging infrastructure and RVing with an electric tow vehicle. If you feel our contributions are detrimental to the theme of this board then request the admin to have us banned.

Cheers.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom