E-Z pass on my Class C

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Friends of ours have their E-ZPass on the dash at the bottom of the windshield of their Class C due to missed readings when they had it on the upper windshield per the instructions.

I too am in Illinois with a class C, and my transponder didn't read several times when I had it mounted near the mirror. Mounted it to the bottom center of the windshield, and it's been 100% ever since.

I don’t even mount the transponders, I just set them on the dashboard, near the bottom of the windshield and upside down (so the back of the unit is facing up & out), when approaching a toll. The signal has always been read fine that way. That makes them easier to move between vehicles too.

One reason the state suggests you mount them high on the windshield is to prevent them from being a legal or actual obstruction to your forward view.

This is a four year old post and The original poster has not been active in over 4 years. I am pretty sure that someone with a class c will come along and help you out.
Welcome to the forum
Thanks. I knew it was that old but if people generally peruse the website on a semi regular basis somebody would see it. You did. :)

In a past life I worked for a company that designs and builds these toll systems, so I have a bit of knowledge of how the transponders and readers work. A "cab-over" vehicle with a windshield tag is a tough one for any system, just as the vehicle is getting close enough to the reader to activate it begins to be shadowed by the overhang. If the camper/RV is fiberglass the impact is less than if it's aluminum. For trucks and other vehicles where the transponder can be shaded or shielded there is usually an "external mount" transponder option so the transponder is facing forward and in the clear. Some states (IL) use surface mount units that could be mounted up high near the roof, others offer a license plate tag (KS) that bolts to the license attachment screws. No idea if these options end up costing more though it's a fair guess they do. I get that in general this is an aggravation that at best serves only to relieve you of your money but just offering the technical details that might make it a tad less aggravating.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom