E-Z pass on my Class C

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

docsouce

Hi Folks

I just received my EZ pass for my RV. The installation instructions say to stick on the inside of the windshield just below and to the right of the rear view mirror. Easy enough. Now I'm looking at it and am wondering if the overhanging bunk (that is over the cab) will block the transducer from working right...I called the Mass D.O.T. and talked with the guru that handles the e-z-pass transducers and he said it maybe, should be OK. Does anyone have an e-z pass set up in their Class C? Does it work OK? I could use a little more assurance than "maybe, should be". My RV is a Thor Class C 22E motorhome.

Thanks

There's one way to find out! The first couple of times you use it, go through a lane that takes cash or EZ Pass. If it doesn't recognize the transponder, stop and pay cash. Now that the Mass Pike is all electronic, they'll mail you a bill if you don't have a transponder.

I got the transponder that mounts on the front license plate. Works great except the Beacon-Newburgh Bridge in New York, which won't read it.

A friend of ours with a Class C found that mounting it at the bottom center of the windshield worked well for him after the normal position failed to read a few times.

As long as your license plate is part of the registration of the EZ pass, you should be ok. I traded trucks and did not put the windshield ship in the new one for a couple months.  I had no problems as I used the same license plate. 

Thanks for the suggestions. We will be heading down to my brothers place near Ocean City NJ, and will be on the Garden State Parkway. I'll mount it low center and stop at the first toll that is not to busy and check to see if it works as intended. The license plate is on my RV is the one the transponder was issued for so all should be good.

I appreciate the help..

I have the Florida pass on my RV, and the people on the toll free number for it, Sun Pass, said, YEAH, they can read it no matter where I put i t on the front windshield in spite of the Class C overhang.

If you drive around Florida any, you seriously need the Sun Pass. My purchase price was refunded in credits I could use on the toll fees.

When I got one for my class C I opted for the transponder that is mounted to the license plate with tamper proof screws.

DearMissMermaid said:
I have the Florida pass on my RV, and the people on the toll free number for it, Sun Pass, said, YEAH, they can read it no matter where I put i t on the front windshield in spite of the Class C overhang.

If you drive around Florida any, you seriously need the Sun Pass. My purchase price was refunded in credits I could use on the toll fees.

We stick mostly to the Gulf side, and have never paid a toll in FL. I expect our EZ-Pass will be working in FL in the not too distant future though as part of the federally mandated universal electronic tolling initiative.

docsouce said:
... I'll mount it low center and stop at the first toll that is not to busy and check to see if it works as intended. ...

If it works you'll see a green light at the toll booth, just keep going. Otherwise, stop and pay the toll. Make sure someone is in the booth before you commit to a lane.

Every state is a bit different with how the highway "readers" work, but it's based on radio signals and not line-of-sight.  That's why they give you a radio-blocking foil type bag to put the transponder in when not using it (at least I got one of those)... or you may get charged $ unnecessarily while stored in the glovebox or center console.

I don't think your Class C bunk overhang should be a big issue.  That said, I never stick my I-Pass (IL toll system) on the windshield.  I move them between vehicles including my previous motorhome and current tow vehicle, as well as daily driver when on toll roads.  Whenever needed, I just set the transponder business-side-up on the dashboard (facing up/out the windshield) and it's always worked perfectly.

Like Scott, I never stick my I Pass from IL on the windshield. However, I think it is different for TX. I was asked to stick my EZ Pass.

We got my father in law's old transponder down here in FL and tried it in our a couple months ago.  I put it top left the first time through.  Pretty sure it worked, but didn't feel comfortable so I moved it to mid bottom and it worked for sure.  Still haven't gotten a ticket in the mail so it must have worked that 1st time through as well....

blw2 said:
Still haven't gotten a ticket in the mail so it must have worked that 1st time through as well....

In Illinois they give you three free passes before any ticket is sent out, and you can also log into the state's Toll Authority website to pay missed tolls online (and avoid a much higher penalty later) or check if/when/where your transponder was charged or not.  It's one system run by the state that actually works, and is somewhat convenient! 

Florida (and other states with significant toll revenue) probably have a similar systems.

Mine didn't work on most of the booths when I first put it at the top of the windshield.  The cabover blocked the signal at many booths.  Moved it to the bottom in the center of the windshield and no more problems.

scottydl said:
In Illinois they give you three free passes before any ticket is sent out, and you can also log into the state's Toll Authority website to pay missed tolls online (and avoid a much higher penalty later) or check if/when/where your transponder was charged or not.  It's one system run by the state that actually works, and is somewhat convenient! 

Florida (and other states with significant toll revenue) probably have a similar systems.
I have a ezpass from Indiana and they say it takes 2 crossings of bridges for a bill to be sent at the end of the month. They are still new to it here in the Louisville/ southern Indiana area it just started 12-30-2016 for the 2 new bridges across the Ohio.

Hi Folks

I just received my EZ pass for my RV. The installation instructions say to stick on the inside of the windshield just below and to the right of the rear view mirror. Easy enough. Now I'm looking at it and am wondering if the overhanging bunk (that is over the cab) will block the transducer from working right...I called the Mass D.O.T. and talked with the guru that handles the e-z-pass transducers and he said it maybe, should be OK. Does anyone have an e-z pass set up in their Class C? Does it work OK? I could use a little more assurance than "maybe, should be". My RV is a Thor Class C 22E motorhome.

Thanks
I have an I-pass (Illinois) and have it top of windshield below mirror mount on my Winnebago View and it did not work in OH on current trip because their readers are overhead in toll booth and I think over cab bunk inhibited reading tho it extends less than some Class C's bunks. Also traveled on NY and MA tollways and am waiting to see if the charges show up on my account. They have the over the road readers/cameras so hoping that they have better transmission of the radio signals from out front rather than straight down like OH. Thinking about moving transponder to lower on windshield just above dashboard as others in thread seem to have done. What did you end up doing? Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom