E350/E450 Handling Problems are caused by too little + CASTER

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SoloRover: The tire wear shown is very excessive and there is no indication of a cause for that wear in the front end before alignment numbers. So, it may be the problem is with the rear axel being out of alignment. If the rear axel alignment is dog tracking it should be apparent in the rear view mirror while driving down a road that has line marking. IMO.
Thanks, Harvard. You might be into something here. I am reading on it, will check while driving in a couple of days, and I'll ask the shop that made the alignment if they noticed (they didn't share anything with me).
Questions:
1. Shouldn't this be apparent to the shop when doing the front wheel alignment?
2. Is it correct that there is no alignment needed for the rear wheels in this E450?
3. Can dog tracking be due to weight distribution or overloading or maybe suspension failures or is it because of a bent frame?

On a E350-450 or any vehicle with a fixed rear suspension dog tracking is usually caused by worn or missing bushings in the rear suspension or broken or damaged parts. If severely over loaded on one side it is possible the frame could flex to that degree but you would likely notice a big problem when driving. The steering wheel centering is not a reliable measure since it is easily changed when adjusting the tie rods during alignment.

The Thrust Line is part of a four wheel alignment and not derived from just a front end alignment. It would be very unusual to have the E450 solid axel skewed but there have been RV past posters that claimed to have had the experience. I am troubled with your excessive tire wear and grasping at straws as to the cause when the front end toe looks to be neutral.

The Thrust Line is part of a four wheel alignment and not derived from just a front end alignment. It would be very unusual to have the E450 solid axel skewed but there have been RV past posters that claimed to have had the experience. I am troubled with your excessive tire wear and grasping at straws as to the cause when the front end toe looks to be neutral.
None of the photos I posted reflect the toe condition before I went to the shop. I was told the toe was adjusted to neutral as you see from my photos. Attached is my current reading, thanks to your instructions. BTW, the RV doesn't dog tracking. I watched it today carefully. Straight like an arrow from front to back.

Attachments

• 05. after specs.JPG
    05. after specs.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 7
On a E350-450 or any vehicle with a fixed rear suspension dog tracking is usually caused by worn or missing bushings in the rear suspension or broken or damaged parts. If severely over loaded on one side it is possible the frame could flex to that degree but you would likely notice a big problem when driving. The steering wheel centering is not a reliable measure since it is easily changed when adjusting the tie rods during alignment.
Thank you for the feedback! I'll check it when I get a chance as I had an issue with my suspension before. See details here.

"None of the photos I posted reflect the toe condition before I went to the shop."

oops, my bad. I thought the photo was a before alignment. Disregard my thrust line problem references.

where can i get these bushings? i cannot match a set for a ford chassis 2017 (jayco 29mv 2018)

There was a link on page 6 of this thread from Harvard on Nov 1, 2018 to irv2 forums. On irv2 they showed the Ingalls 394 bushing was replaced by the Moog K8986 part number. You may want to follow that link yourself.

That part is listed on rockauto.com for the 2017 E350 and E450 chassis. RockAuto says it will fit your RV but I have no idea whether it will or not. Since you need 2 @ $1.78 each you won't be out too much money if you take your RV to an alignment shop and find out it doesn't fit. At the link below go down to "Daily Driver" and Moog K8986 is the first part listed.
MOOG K8986

There was a link on page 6 of this thread from Harvard on Nov 1, 2018 to irv2 forums. On irv2 they showed the Ingalls 394 bushing was replaced by the Moog K8986 part number. You may want to follow that link yourself.

That part is listed on rockauto.com for the 2017 E350 and E450 chassis. RockAuto says it will fit your RV but I have no idea whether it will or not. Since you need 2 @ $1.78 each you won't be out too much money if you take your RV to an alignment shop and find out it doesn't fit. At the link below go down to "Daily Driver" and Moog K8986 is the first part listed.
MOOG K8986
thank you, i appreciate it...unfortunately only 1 left on rock auto, weird they are so cheap there... actually found these ones thru amazon as well but like 20 a pop...
Specialty product company part 23187 or 23188 (LINK). It can also be found from the link mentioned by TheBar posted above. Good luck!
thank you as well, if i dont grab the moog ones ill get these appreciate it!

FWIW, the lower cost ones are adjustable single axis. The higher cost two axis adjustable allows you to set caster and camber within the limitations of the combined bushing and sleeve. Here are some examples:
  1. SPC794 (SPC PN 24180) equivalent to the Ingalls (LINK)
  2. MOOG Caster/Camber Adjusting Bushing (LINK)
  3. Moog K80109 Caster/Camber Adjusting Bushing (LINK).
  4. "OP Harvard's choice" - 59400 ingallseng (LINK)
I hope Harvard will step in and give his take on the value of adding two axis vs. one axis

The only advantage I can see is the two axis is universal and probably easier to source.

I have a 2018 Ford E450 (Jayco Greyhawk 30X) and Moog K8986 apparently is not approved for the 2018.
Anyone with a 2018 E450 that has found a caster bushing. looking for advice

I have a 2018 Ford E450 (Jayco Greyhawk 30X) and Moog K8986 apparently is not approved for the 2018.
Anyone with a 2018 E450 that has found a caster bushing. looking for advice
They are all the same for any E series...

Stumbled across this thread and am incredible thankful that I did - some great information here! I have 2003 E450 ambulance that has a Ujoint 4x4 conversion (leaf springs up front and F350 axle). I too am having issues with wandering and instability at highways speeds. On top of that, the vehicle pulls to the left 95% of the time, despite multiple alignments. Attached are is the latest alignment specs. From what I have read, I should add 2 degree shims to increase + caster... but what could cause the continued pull to the left? Thanks in advance for the help!

Alignment Specs.JPG

I too am having issues with wandering and instability at highways speeds.
This part of your problem could be caused by over inflation of the front tires. Weighing the rig and consulting the tire manufacturer's inflation tables can often turn dangerous handling into good handling (such as in the 2010 Bounder I had).

Of course other causes are possible, but that's a cheap one to check.

Like everyone else has said this thing handles terribly! I’ve posted my alignment from the other day and it’s worse now than before. HD sway bars front and rear Koni shocks all 4 corners and built up rear springs because the rear was so low. Any ideas? Tips? Tricks? Thanks John

Attachments

• 6C1CF6EF-2D3B-4D54-B469-E94F8009084C.jpeg
    6C1CF6EF-2D3B-4D54-B469-E94F8009084C.jpeg
    107.5 KB · Views: 3

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom