Early QZ report

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smoky

Well yesterday the Admiral and I had time on our hands so we decided to make a scouting run to QZ.?

We were never able to find the framily rendezvous point, but we did indeed become acquainted for the first time with many of the marvels of QZ.? As we came over the hill and descended I10 from Golden Nugget Road we could see RVs stretched out across the landscape.? I am sure the view will be even more dramatic in January when the peak season hits.? However, even in early December, we are happy to report that QZ is alive and well with tons of busy RVers all over the place.

We stopped first at Sweet Darlene's and had to get inside in a hurry to get away from the bratwurst smell coming down out of the south forcing against the wind from Yuma.? Sweet Darlene's was equal to all we had heard about and we enjoyed great burgers topped off with a scrumptious coconut creme pie.

Then we cruised around town looking for the Chamber of Commerce.? The Admiral's first comment after Darlene's was. "I think we already saw the only decent place in town.? The rest of this looks like a bad slum area."

She continued her negative comments as we pulled up at the C of C office on main street.? She decided not to go inside and said she was going to walk around and just see how bad this place really was.? She also warned me she was not very inclined to spend two weeks here, and we should stay just long enough to meet the framily.

I was only inside the C of C about 5 minutes, and grabbed a handful of brochures and local newspapers.? I came out and the Admiral was nowhere to be found.? I waited about an hour, afraid to move the car in case she returned just when I left.? The C of C lady came out and locked the door for lunch.? I sheepishly told her I was waiting for my wife to return.? A half hour lady the C of C lady came back and reopened the office.? It was embarrassing standing there still stranded by my wife.

Finally around the corner she came, a big bright smile on her face.? All this time she had been directly behind the C of C office at a Mexican crafts place.? She told me she wanted to show me something, and I did not even have a chance to complain about my long wait as she grabbed me by the arm and yanked me into a store behind the C of C.? ?I forgot about complaining as I found myself in a wondrous craft shop.? We spent another hour just inside that one shop and ended up buying one of those metal suns people hang on sheds, and also a few other trinkets to send back east for Christmas.? On our way out we met a Mexican lady who shared ownership of the store with her American husband and there went another 30 minutes of excited chatting as she explained all the ins and outs of bringing products across the border from Mexico to QZ.

Then we met her husband, who as it turns out, also owns the C of C building and had just sold the Mexican restaurant across the parking lot.? I got involved in another 30 minute discussion with him all about the QZ economy.? He made a strong case for QZ becoming the next Yuma as people keep moving outward from the Phoenix/Tucson area.? We are actively pursuing real estate investment in the west and this conversation was very educational.

Then we explored a few more craft shops, but only from the car window, as we wanted to return to Phoenix in daylight, taking the more scenic route 60 back home.? We stopped at the ranger station to see if we could get our QZ passes for January ahead of time to beat the lines.? Much to our disappointment, we found we could not preorder the passes.? We had the option of buying the season pass, but the Admiral nixed that as a waste of money.? They are $140 this year.? Instead we will buy two $30 passes to give us one month of QZ boondocking, but have to wait until we arrive in early January.? I hope by then we figure out how to get to the framily QTH.?

Is anyone from the framily going to get to the QZ rendezvous early?

At any rate, the Admiral thoroughly fell in love with QZ, and I forgot until this morning how mad I was about being stood up outside the C of C for one hour.? We barely scratched the surface of the place, and we understand it will be far more intriguing as it moves into its peak season.

Smoky,

Go to Bobs site at: http://www.rvspacemanager.com/quartzsite06.htm for detailed directions to the rally site.  The entrance is at the second ranger station  about two miles South of the traffic light in QZ West side of the road.

Thanks Ron.  I knew about those directions, but did not have them with us.  Do you know the name of the ranger station.  Is it the Tyson Wash station or the one further south?  We were inquiring at the first station on the left as you go south.  Nice pair of guys there who had volunteer jobs.  Those look like pretty cush workcamper jobs and both those guys were working together as a pair for their second year straight.

I forgot to ask them if the 50 amp pedastal came with their jobs.  ;D

The rally site is at the La Posa/Tyson Wash LTVA, the southern most entrance on the west side of 95.  A permit can be purchased at any of the stations and is good for the all of the 4 La Posa LTVA areas.

Thanks Ned.  I hope the route into the ranger station is as fast as it was yesterday.  ;D  I really wanted to buy one ahead of time.  Grrr!

Smoky

The ranger station is virtually alongside the highway. What long line are you expecting? The few times we've been there, I had a max of two people in line ahead of me. If there were a line waiting to pay, you could go set up camp and come back to the ranger station to pay.

BTW here's an arial composite photo that complements the one on Bob's site. It shows the proximity of the ranger station to US-95 and to the nearby rally site. The originals of both photos were provided courtesy of Richard Sharp and were taken by his brother.

Smoky said:
Thanks Ned.? I hope the route into the ranger station is as fast as it was yesterday.? ?;D? I really wanted to buy one ahead of time.? Grrr!
You can bypass some of the QZ traffic, but not all, by exiting at the first QZ exit on the east side that you probably did when you went to Sweet Darlenes.  Instead of turning right like you probably did to go to Sweet Darlenes turn left go over the freeway and continue till you come to the stop sign.  Turn right and go to the traffic light, turn left and procede South on 95 past the first ranger station for to the second ranger station turn right or west into the ranger station.  This is the way I would recommend in January coming from the East.

Tom:

The line I was most worried about is the one going into town from I10.  Looks like Ron may have the right idea for speeding things up.  I still wish i could have gotten a pass yesterday.  Grrrr. :-\

Smoky said:
Tom:

The line I was most worried about is the one going into town from I10.? Looks like Ron may have the right idea for speeding things up.? I still wish i could have gotten a pass yesterday.? Grrrr. :-\

Like Tom indicated there isn't a problem getting the pass when you arrive.  I have never had more than one person ahead of me and most of the time nobody ahead of me.

Oops, misunderstood which line you were talking about Smoky.

FWIW we didn't have any traffic problems when we went to QZ last January, although lots of folks warned us about it. We must just have been very lucky.

Smoky said:
Well I am sure we will have fun lines or no lines!  ;D

Smoky

Lines are part of the fun and charm of QZ. The hour spent in line waiting to dump and fill with water is quality time with your spouse ;)  Sometimes the backups in town to the intersections can take an hour or more also. These too are quality times, you can survey the vendors and local scene a lot easier than when you fly by at the speed limit. You have to learn to turn it back a notch or three in the desert. What's your hurry ??? ???

Lines are part of the fun and charm of QZ. The hour spent in line waiting to dump and fill with water is quality time with your spouse

Come Bernie tell it like it is, The guys get to deal with the dumping activities and the wives go shopping with the girls. ;D ;D

Driving up through the traffic is one way to shorten the shopping time.  If by yourself take the wash to go look at the tools and such. ;D

Ron said:
Come Bernie tell it like it is, The guys get to deal with the dumping activities and the wives go shopping with the girls. ;D ;D

Ron

I am telling it like it is. Marlene and I always travel to the dump together.

BernieD said:
Ron

I am telling it like it is. Marlene and I always travel to the dump together.

We haven't been to the dump at QZ but one time and that was at the end of the rally  because we were heading straight to Vegas.

But driving by a few times it looked like the guys were doing the dumping.

Besides Marlene deserves a better day out than going to the dump. ;D ;D ;D

Bernie, I don't mean to be rude, but your post Marlene and I always travel to the dump together. reminds me of a crude colloquial saying that I paraphrase:

Marlene figures you can't be trusted with sh**. :)

Ciao,

Doug

Well we are all starting to wade into this a little deeper than perhaps we should so I'll only finish by saying:

Ron, I do the dumping but Marlene and I talk about various things while in line. As I said, it is quality time with no internet, no TV, no other distractions.

Doug, I don't know who or what you expect me to find at the dump ??? ??? Since I am driving the house to the dump, Marlene just continues to sit in the house and comes along for the ride. By the way, I could barely read what you are paraphrasing, the color is almost impossible to read. But you don't need to bother repeating it :-\

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom