Edge router ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

besbiker

i would like to setup 2 laptops in my mh with a cingular air card and a router much like the verizon air card and Kyocera router system many rv'ers are using. But i can not find a router to work with the edge card does anyone know of such a router?

thanks
barry

This one from TopGlobal  claims to work with an Edge card. But, when you scroll down the page, EDGE isn't listed under the Sprint options.

There's some discussion here about the use of such a product violating cellular user agreements.

Thank you Tom I think that is the direction i need. We are trying to get setup to full time next spring. The house is sold and trying to work my way out of my construction business.

The router claims to be usable by a number of technologies:

"It combines the best of Wi-Fi and 3G mobile communications technologies including CDMA 1x, EV-DO, EDGE, and UMTS and can be easily upgraded to support EV-DO Release A and HSDPA."

I wonder why it doesn't mention t-mobile's EDGE (Sony/Ericsson GC89 card that I use).

My comment was with respect to your statement about Edge not being listed under Sprint.  The EVDO and 1xrtt features work with Spring, but the Edge and UMTS features would not, so why would they list them there?

Understood Gary, my mis-statement first time around. Barry originally asked about Cingular and I somehow transposed that to Sprint.

Seems to me that, with the correct software/drivers to interface with the PCMIA card, the router should be network independent. Not really any different than plugging the same card(s) into my PC and loading the relevant drivers.

Seems to me that, with the correct software/drivers to interface with the PCMIA card, the router should be network independent.

That was my thought too - the router is independent of the transport. And routers with WAN ports are common stuff, so gating the cellular data connection into it is hardly rocket sceince.  They just bundled everything up so that the rest of us don't have to deal with the individual parts.  Just Plug N Play (hopefully).

Back
Top Bottom