Egg Shells - the easy way!! A pickle jar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wigpro

I am an egg eater and love hard boiled eggs - the downside has always been the peeling - too many times you ruin the egg getting the shell off and when making deviled eggs it is detrimental to the presentation...

But ALAS - I discovered a secret I am about to share....

[list type=decimal]
[*]Boil the eggs as normal and cool under cold water.
[*]Take an empty pickle jar or other small jar with a lid and fill 1/2 with cold water.
[*]Drop the egg in and close the lid.
[*]Shake vigorously for a couple seconds.
[*]Remove the egg and the shell falls right off...
[*]Do next egg
[/list]I can shell a dozen eggs all perfect in about 10 minutes....

Enjoy,

Jim

I will have to try that! I hate when HB eggs will not peel easily. Thanks for the tip!

Many people don't realize that very fresh eggs are hard to peel when hard boiled.  When we had our chickens, I had to buy store eggs when I wanted to make deviled eggs.

SimpliciTY is a virtue. The pickle jar proves it. For the gadget prone folks  here is your answer.  >>>>  http://www.amazon.com/Rosle-12827-Egg-Cracker-Topper/dp/B0045YMQ36/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431801343&sr=8-1&keywords=egg+peeler

Bon appetite.

The cold water (actually we use ice water) technique is pretty good, but we still occasionally get one (or a few) that doesn't peel cleanly. DW recently got an Instant Pot and one of the recipes is for hardboiled (actually steamed) eggs. She tried a batch experimentally, every egg (of the 4) peeled perfectly. So she's since done several more batches (8 at a crack), and all without exception, have peeled perfectly. 

Basically, you use the pressure mode, in LOW pressure with a cup of water for each egg, set it for 5 minutes (or 4 for softer eggs), then let the pressure bleed naturally for about 40 minutes before releasing the remaining pressure. Now place the eggs in cold water (DW uses ice water) and let sit for a while.

Once those are done, she places them in an old egg carton and puts them in the fridge. I've had one or two most mornings, up to a week or more later, and they all peel perfectly.

Hope this helps someone.

I also use a Instant Pot but with a variation. High pressure for 6 minutes, natural pressure release for 6 minutes, then ice water bath. Lovely eggs that peel so easily. I can make just a couple or an entire pot full with the same timing, and none break.

Margie, thanks for telling us about the freshness of the eggs.  I had always wondered why some are harder to peel than others!

ArdraF

We use to have issues but found out we were boiling them too long. Now we bring the water to a boil, drop in the eggs and once the water starts boiling again, leave them in there for 10 minutes and no longer.

We put the eggs in unheated water treated with a ts of baking soda, heat to boiling, turn off the heat and let them sit for 10 mins.  Then submerge in an ice bath until chilled. 

I also use a Instant Pot but with a variation. High pressure for 6 minutes, natural pressure release for 6 minutes, then ice water bath. Lovely eggs that peel so easily. I can make just a couple or an entire pot full with the same timing, and none break.

I found out there is a difference in how long you have to cook the eggs by location. In Texas, I cooked them 5 mins, let them pressure release 5 mins, then tossed them in ice water.. or cold water. Up here in Minnesota,  they were harder to peel just like fresh eggs. I started cooking them 6 mins and it made all the difference.

I tried the shake in a jar method once a while ago, and the egg broke....the inside part I mean.  Guess I was a little too energetic.

My instant pot was worth the money just for boiling eggs.  6 minutes and a ice bath and the shells fall off!

Roadhappy said:
Yup, just give them the evil eye!  ;D

You know, I've tried this method (the shaking in the jar, not the evil eye ;)  ), and didn't have the success with it I'd hoped, but I have seen it done with great success on youtube videos. 

What works for me is a little baking soda in the boiling water and an ice bath after boiling. 

Boil as normal, cut in half and scoop out egg into bowl. Add butter and seasoning and put on toast!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chaderic
Back
Top Bottom