EL Paso bypas???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ron

Moderator Emeritus
Having just come through EL Paso I remembered somebody had mentioned there was a way to bypass EL Paso that wasn't too far out of the way.  Does anybody know of a way to bypass El Paso??

Ron said:
Having just come through EL Paso I remembered somebody had mentioned there was a way to bypass EL Paso that wasn't too far out of the way.? Does anybody know of a way to bypass El Paso??

Yeah, Northern New Mexico.    ;D

I-10 is pretty much it as I remember from a couple years ago.  They tore down half the town to put I-10 as it is.  EP is pinned between mountains and Mexico.

Ron,

We've done the bypass a couple of times. I think the route is 375. It is longer than going on I10 but a very pretty drive. Steep mountain when you approach from the west. A couple of very large pull offs near the top. It goes through part of Ft. Bliss. I haven't taken it east to west yet. Not sure how close to the western boot outlet. :) :)

Thanks Jim.  Looks like it will also bypass the boot outlet. ;D  I going to have to remmember that the next time through El Paso area.

Just came thru El Paso Fri night.  Extgremely washboard road.  Coming west bound, came over a rise and had to come down on the brakes very fast and hard.  All heck broke loose.  Broke several staps and bungees in the trailer and skinned up the car quite  badly  while dang near hitting several cars.  $3000 damage to the car none to MH or Enclosed trailer and a heck of a lot to my pride,et proiud of the way I handled it, cause no one got hurt.  Please don't try to drive into the Sun in late afternoon coming thru El Paso. Unbelieveable how hard a drive that is.  Been there done that. Never again at that time.  Staued that niote at ttuck stop in
Big Spring and them at the Beautiful Beaudry Rv Resort in  Tucson for only 19.95. When we pulled in wife thought for sure it would be 50 to 85 bucks.  65 foot pull thrus and great restrurant.  NO Golf but everything else top notch, even salesman Jeff Agnas that almost sold me an American Dream  Still thinking about it.  Good luck and wishes from Pueblo E l Mirage in AZ.  Will be golfing or goofing with Smokey today about  11:30  If he's a really good guy I'll win by a couple of strokes.

We never look forward to driving through El Paso either.  But since we are normally off the road by 16:00 or earlier we don't have to drive into the sun much.

Ron said:
Having just come through EL Paso I remembered somebody had mentioned there was a way to bypass EL Paso that wasn't too far out of the way.  Does anybody know of a way to bypass El Paso??

Ron, I always take the Trans Mountain Road. From east go 54 north like toward White Sands. Just after Ft. Bliss take Trans Mountain road and it puts you out just south of Flying J at Anthony. Nice road but has some well engineered grades. Both 54 and Trans Mountain are like freeways.

In my old gasser it was a little grind, but in diesel its no problem.

Bob

Thanks Bob.  I remmembered somebody, and I don't remmeber who, mentioning a way to bypass El Paso but couldn't remmember the details when the time came I wanted to do it.

Jim Dick said:
Ron,

We've done the bypass a couple of times. I think the route is 375. It is longer than going on I10 but a very pretty drive. Steep mountain when you approach from the west. A couple of very large pull offs near the top. It goes through part of Ft. Bliss. I haven't taken it east to west yet. Not sure how close to the western boot outlet. :) :)

How is 375 East of I54? I read somewhere that stretch was going to be upgraded to freeway status to form a complete bypass of El Paso. If driving West as far as the I10/I54 Stack -- one might just as well continue on I10 it would seem (reading Bob Z's post).

I drove Eastward year before last to Austin. Stopped for the night in Anthony -- then began my day during the rush hour thru El Paso. What a zoo that turned out to be. :( So the next time (last year) I timed my trip so I was going thru at mid day on a Sunday -- and it was almost as bad. The population keeps growing, but the only freeway thru the city doesn't.

I guess 20 and 375 south of I10 would be too congested with traffic lights and such. Seems that area would be a good location for by-pass freeway.

Just came thru El Paso Fri night.  Extgremely washboard road.  Coming west bound, came over a rise and had to come down on the brakes very fast and hard.

Were you on I-10 or on a bypass road?

Hi Bob,

From what I remember the 375 was fine all the way through. There were a few lights but traffic moved just fine. I'm going to try that route east to west sometime. I have no idea about the proposed freeway status. I agree going as far as I54 would make that route a moot point. One must keep in mind the western side of the mountain is quite steep and curving but not exhausting to drive.

Pat really hates El Paso for some reason. She nevers drives it but has a real hard time when we go through. I may be doing the Transmountain pass more frequently. :)

Albslb2 and I had a great day of golf on Thursday!  We are definitely going to do more of this together.  We were very evenly matched, within a couple strokes of each other.

And the good news is that Albslb2 and his wife are very close to deciding to come to QZ.  C'mon every, give Shane and Audrey your best pitch on how much fun QZ is.  I'd even give up my 50 amp hookup to them if they come!!  ;D

Smoky,

There used to be a file in the library with an article I wrote about Quartzsite. It was written in the late '90s but much of it still  pertains to the experience. Perhaps Tom will see this and knows where it is filed. I couldn't find it.

Smoky said:
Albslb2 and I had a great day of golf on Thursday!? We are definitely going to do more of this together.? We were very evenly matched, within a couple strokes of each other.

And the good news is that Albslb2 and his wife are very close to deciding to come to QZ.? C'mon every, give Shane and Audrey your best pitch on how much fun QZ is.? I'd even give up my 50 amp hookup to them if they come!!? ;D

Did you by-pass El Paso to get to the golf course?? ??? ???

I'll bet you meant tihis for the Golf Course near QZ thread , , ,

Jim Dick said:
There used to be a file in the library with an article I wrote about Quartzsite.

It's still there Jim. Click the Library buttom above, select Places to see and things to do, then click Quartzsite impressions. That article is a classic.

Tom,

I thought you had it in the library but I couldn't find it. :) I guess classic is one word for it. ;D ;D

Negative Bob.  I meant my golf comment for THIS thread, as Shane had previously mentioned our golf outing here.  I admit it is a bit of a drift, but I was just responding to him here in this thread.

I sure do hope Shane and Audrey decide to caravan out with us to QZ.  I almost have them convinced.

Shane if you read this, I plan to head down to the pro shop around 10 am and see if they can work me on to the course without a reservation.  Had a good day today at Nevada Bob's.

Smoky said:
Negative Bob.? I meant my golf comment for THIS thread, as Shane had previously mentioned our golf outing here.? I admit it is a bit of a drift, but I was just responding to him here in this thread.

I sure do hope Shane and Audrey decide to caravan out with us to QZ.? I almost have them convinced.

Shane if you read this, I plan to head down to the pro shop around 10 am and see if they can work me on to the course without a reservation.? Had a good day today at Nevada Bob's.

Actually, was just concerned you had posted in the wrong thread inadertantly -- and may not have noticed. I missed Albslb2's golfing comment at the end of his interesting descrpition of their trek thru El Paso.

Back
Top Bottom