Electical hookup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Howard R

Hello,

I have a friend who just bought a used slide-in camper for his pickup.  I'm a mh guy so have a question for you guys.

He says there are 3 wires coming out of the camper which were cut off by the previous owner apparently ... I haven't seen the wiring yet.  I'm assuming one is 12vdc power, 1 ground ... third wire ???

What type of plug is usually installed on the truck side to make the connection for DC from the truck?  Is it something like a standard 4 pin trailer connector or ??

thanks in advance for the help,  :)

Howard

I could be the charging wire for the camper's battery..good luck...JJ :-\

jeffrys said:
I could be the charging wire for the camper's battery..good luck...JJ :-\

Yes he'll need one of those.  I am out of town visiting the kids for a couple of days so haven't had a chance to look at it yet.

thanks,

Howard

Glad I could help, was the only logical thing not already mentioned

Suggestion, to test hook to a metal frame part with the negative lead from a battery jumper pack (You know, the kind you carry incase your car won't start) and hook the red jumper lead to a fairly goodsize light,  IE: Headlight.

Touch each of the 3 wires,  one at a time, to the other headlight lead.

If the headlight glows brightly (As though it were hooked direct across the battery,  Suspect that wire is ground. NOTE SUSPECT

If it glows very very dimly or not at all... House battery charge. (Again suspect) or 12-volt to house

(test the latter by turning on a light in the house

If it glows medium or not at all and the clerance lights glow (perhaps not very bright) you have identified the wire

Headlights are around 30-50 watts  Marker lights arout 7-10 so if you hit the marker light circuit you should get about six volts per bulb, 70 percent glow

Back
Top Bottom