Electric Dump Valves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrschwarz

I am considering putting an electric dump valve to my gray tank. Does anyone have any experience with this. Any suggestions. Brands to use or avoid? Inquiring minds want to know.

I've thought about electric valves but decided I want to be there when I open the valves to watch for leaks.  And when parked for any length of time, we keep the gray tank valve open anyway.

I always keep the valves closed except when dumping. We don't need to be the sewer vent for the park and don't need any tenants in the tank. It seems that the tank is always full right after getting ready for bed or getting up in the morning before getting dressed. This was my solution to the inconvenience.

While I agree about liking to be there when dumping, in the year we have been doing this, nothing has leaked or been out of place (famous last words). I am only talking about the gray tank so the consequences aren't quite as harsh.

Thanks for the comments.

We don't need to be the sewer vent for the park and don't need any tenants in the tank

You can avoid both of those potential problems by arranging the hose so it has a loop like a P-trap in it.  Easy to do especially if you use a carrier to support the hose.

Go for it if you wish!!

I have had electrically operated valves on all 3 tanks (2 gray 1 black). But since I have had the trailer, the valve on the black tank was problematic (worn plastic/nylon gears on the motor assembly) and has since give up completely. I simply disconnected the motor mechanically and now open and close the valve with the standard T handle. The two grey tanks valves still function as expected but they stay open while parked which is all the time we are there. No sewer smell as a result as the tanks are all vented to the roof and I have never noticed any additional "tenants". All tanks and valves are closed when we leave for the summer though. The only time I have a smell is when I 'forget' to close the black valve after a dump since there is really no P trap in the toilet to prevent coming in, especially in my case, as water does not stay in the bowl. (I know, I know, have to do something about that!!!) Not using the fan while emptying the bowl helps a lot too!!

All this to say, planning the grey tank dump every so often before actually needed would solve your problem without adding the electric option. Unlike the black, it can be done at any time for the most part. I have never had to dump the black tank at 3:00AM either, just knowing about how many days it  normally lasts is sufficient.

BTW, in our case, the switches for these valves have very short wires and are right beside the dump valve and hose connection so I still have to go outside anyway!! Like Ned, I like to be there 'just in case'.

Not sure I would want a P trap dip in the hose while  black tank dumping though!!!

Not sure I would want a P trap dip in the hose while  black tank dumping though!!!

Since I rinse the black tank after every dumping, that's not a problem.  Or you can temporarily remove the dip while dumping if it's a concern.  I've never found it to be a problem.

Ned said:
Since I rinse the black tank after every dumping, that's not a problem.  Or you can temporarily remove the dip while dumping if it's a concern.  I've never found it to be a problem.

Good point!! I also flush and rinse the tank too but a dip, in my case, is not possible anyway since it is a permanently connected 3" plastic pipe sewer pipe !! :D

Yes, I switched to electric dump valves years ago and it has been the best mod we have done. Almost ( :) ;) makes the dump job a pleasure. The valve switches (we have  three..one for the black and one for each of two gray tanks) are located in the water service area right near the dump pipe so the dump process can be monitored. We never leave the valves open. These are the valves we use: http://www.drainmaster.com/DrainMasterValves.html. We have the premium valves. The gears are no longer plastic but now stainless steel. Support is excellent. I didn't do the installation myself but bought directly from Drainmaster and had the valves drop shipped to my regular RV service place.

At $127 each I can do a lot of manual valve operations :)

Ned said:

If the medical problems in my back start to limit our traveling these may be one of the things that I do to continue traveling. 

Off to the Dr this PM to check out the latest issue.  :( :mad: :'(

Jim, maybe you can get Medicare to pay for them :)

Ned said:

Your manual valves handles are probably easily accessible. Mine were not...they were knuckle busters.

Thanks for the responses. I am looking at the Drain Masters and have read good and bad. The other brand (the name escapes me at the moment) does not replace the existing valves, it attaches to the handle. Does anyone have experience with both? Is one approach better than the other?

Barker and Valterra both make drain valve motors. These are not valves but motors that attach to the manual valves and are available thru Camping World, etc.. Drainmaster is a valve and motor assembly. I have no experience with the Barker/Valterra drain valve products and in my travels have not run across any people that have them.

Ned said:
Jim, maybe you can get Medicare to pay for them :)

Let's see, mechanical assist device for handicaped person.  It would be worth a try.  I don't think I would win or even come close!!  Dr went for old tried and true, heat, massage, muscle relaxers and pain pills.  It will be a "fun" winter while I work through all the new hoops.  It is getting tougher and tougher to get proper treatment.  :(

My first two buses had Dupree air operated dump valves and this one has electric Drainmaster valves. All have been trouble free and the switches are located out in a luggage bay next to dump hose so as not to have surprises. Reason for installation, besides ease of use, is the semi-hidden location of one or both valves.  If you maintain air pressure for leveling, etc. the air valves are great. If not the electric Drainmaster, while not as beefy as the Dupree Valves, work fine.

Back
Top Bottom