Electric outlets not working unless connected to shore power

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Unless you have a inverter. The 120 volt outlets won't work until you connect the shoreline.

Some (all?) of those models have generators so you could always get power to the outlets that way, regardless of whether or not you have an inverter.

Stamper5498 said:
They do not work while on battery only.
2016 jayco precept

Yup, Plug it in to shore power, or fire up the generator.  Sorry if you thought otherwise, it's just not feasible for standard RVs to have batteries to run the electrical outlets.  There are some, that have modified their RV to accommodate electrical outlets, but they are very frugal with what they power up because it doesn't take much 110Vac converted, to drain a 12vDC battery.

This is one of the most common questions
My outlets do nto work unless I"m plugged in"

As an electronics trained person. I always wonder "Why would they expect them to work"
But then. Most folks are not trained in electronics.. or Mechanics Or  Well I've done a lot of jobs.

Unless you have an INVERTER, like I do. THEN your outlets do not work without either shore or generator power. IN my case SOME work, Some not.  and I choose some of the "nots".

Stamper5498 said:
It has an inverter, is there a fuse that could be blown?

Short answer...Yes

The long answer....Where??....It depends on how the inverter is wired. It may be an in line fuse close to where the inverter draws power. If the inverter is tied into the power center it could be a fuse on the panel.

If you can get some information off the inverter and maybe some pictures it might help

My inverter only powers the televisions and one outlet by the copilot's seat. Try your tv's.  I doubt all your outlets would work off the inverter.

Will do 1st thing in the morning. There is no fuse on the control panel, I?m still looking

Thanks for the information

Rene T said:
Do you have a INverter or a CONverter. They are completely different

According to Jayco website, he has a 1000W INverter (as standard option)

https://www.jayco.com/tools/archive/2016-precept/standards-and-options/

Stamper5498 said:
It has an inverter, is there a fuse that could be blown?

If it has an INVERTER (NOT to be confused with a CONVERTER.. all RV's have that but only some have INVERTERS usually high end units)

Then if the outlets work on SHore power but not battery.. With one possible exception (or 2) all fuses are good.. that exception is the 12 volt fuse on the inverter this is an EXPENSIVE fuse (Mine is 60 bucks)

ALso the inverter may be in the OFF or Manual Standby condition.

A converter takes 120 volt and makes battery voltage out of it
AN INVERTER does the INVERse (makes 120 out of battery power)
AN inverter/charger does both depending on if shore power is present.

As John just mentioned the Inverter needs to be turned on. 
If you have a remote control panel for the inverter look for a way to turn it on or off.
If no remote panel, then there may be a button or switch on the inverter to turn it on.

BTW, you don't want to leave the inverter turned on if you are not using it.  An inverter being on, but not powering any 120V devices still pulls 1-3 amps from the batteries.  Being left on for 24 hours uses quite a bit to a lot of battery capacity.

Do you have a owners manual for the inverter?  Also providing the brand and model of the inverter would help.

SpencerPJ said:
According to Jayco website, he has a 1000W INverter (as standard option)

https://www.jayco.com/tools/archive/2016-precept/standards-and-options/

With just a 1000W inverter I would expect that only a limited number of outlets would be powered by it.  Probably those in the audio/visual area and maybe a couple of others.  In our MH with a 2.8kW inverter about 80% of the outlets are powered.

I tried a dozen times to post pictures but it says it?s too large and I can?t get it sized so .. hmph

Stamper5498 said:
I tried a dozen times to post pictures but it says it?s too large and I can?t get it sized so .. hmph

I resize my pic's with Microsoft paint. But there are other programs that will resize. The picture cannot exceed 350 KB.

But back to your problem...If your inverter is only a 1000 watts it would have to be limited to a few outlets.. Have you tested all the outlets?

I had that problem too. I'm using a Chrome book and wound up googling for software to do it  online or off... Finally got it down to about 175KB and success.  Took multiple passes.

(The OPPS-Jeep or OPPS-Dolly photo in the Why not tow with a dolly thread).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom