Electric Step

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigal98310

I just bought a 1995 Fleetwood Flair, Class A,25 Foot. I havent even had it out yet and the step quit in the out position. Can anyone tell me how to get it in. Of course I need to fix it, but for now I need to retract it so I can drive. Thanks, BA

Early in our experiecne, I had the electric steps on my MH stop working because the battery died while they were out and I got home no problem. A few folks beeping horns and pointing to the stairs but if you're careful you can at least get to your destination.

I'm willing to be corrected on this by a board vet.

So far I've lost a step wrapper (Fake Grass Mat that helps clean shoes as I enter the rig) because the steps did not retract.

Steps are supposed to auto-retract no matter what the switch setting when you crank her up, but alas, that woks about half the time in my expierence.  I'm still putting in mointors to figure out why things do not work right.

Thankfully, no damage to the step

There is a way to manually retract them if I have to.. .And they should retract even if the house batteries are dead shortly after starting the main engine, just open and close the door.  NOTE: KEY WORD:  SHOULD!

The batt. is good, but it just clicks and nothin hapens. I checked the fuse too, its fine. Any Idea? Thank You, BA

Many times its simply one of the ground wires on the step (check the green and black wires) that is corroded, dirty or loose.  Check them and see if that works.  Next thing to check is to make sure the magnet switch on the door is working correctly. Next thing would be to test the motor to see if it runs in both directions (you'll have to build a jumper for 12v and ground). If those are all OK, then it's most likely your control box. 

Note: It is unwise to drive with your step extended -- you're just asking for big trouble.  There is a small pin with a cotter key that connects the linkage to the stair assembly -- pull it out (don't lose it) and you can push up the steps and secure them in the up position with rope. Takes all of 5 minutes to do.

Good Luck!

Try lubricanting anything on the steps  when they set a while they have a tendancy to hang up.  Good old Brake fluid or WD 40  should do the job  Once working  use a good grease  spray.  Check them every 2 or 3 months.  Good luck

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom