Electric wanderings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlongtheRay

Hi folks!

Am wandering around electronically visiting various camping forums here and there. The vibe here feels nice : ). Is this forum part of RV Life or is it independently owned/operated?

I've been full-timing since 2016 in a 13' Scamp and very much enjoying it. I'd be happy to share any advice on tiny camping (off the grid too) -- it's so worth it.

If you're familiar with other camping forums, esp. those catering to tiny/small campers (and if the hosts here don't mind), please point the way.

Am currently in Florida visiting family; will be headed out west (primarily Arizona) shortly for winter season, maybe I'll run into some of you?

Forever wandering,
Ray

P.S. Here's one of my favorite boondocking spots @ Telephone Cove in Nevada:

8e5542bc-a627-4219-98e0-5272b372f9e5-2.jpg

Welcome aboard! Hang out for a while. This is a great community and there are all kinds of RVers here.

You bet. Thanks for the welcome, mate!

The forum is part of RVlife network.

Ahh, gotcha. I was curious because there's no RV Life branding anywhere unlike their other forums.

We had a Scamp for years and loved it! Could tow it anywhere. Upgraded to dual batteries!

Beautiful! Where was this?? It looks a lot like Las Cienegas Natural Conservation Area in Arizona here:

a9d4c2f4-26d3-456e-b0a0-bd5559186632.jpg

Wander on!
Ray

Hi folks!

Am wandering around electronically visiting various camping forums here and there. The vibe here feels nice : ). Is this forum part of RV Life or is it independently owned/operated?

I've been full-timing since 2016 in a 13' Scamp and very much enjoying it. I'd be happy to share any advice on tiny camping (off the grid too) -- it's so worth it.

If you're familiar with other camping forums, esp. those catering to tiny/small campers (and if the hosts here don't mind), please point the way.

Am currently in Florida visiting family; will be headed out west (primarily Arizona) shortly for winter season, maybe I'll run into some of you?

Forever wandering,
Ray

P.S. Here's one of my favorite boondocking spots @ Telephone Cove in Nevada:

View attachment 168869

Of all the forums I visit this one is unique as the Flames are confined to the campfire ring and thus it's one of the nicest places on the world wide wait... Many of us date back to the days of $$$ a minute connect tine so we don't waste a lot of time flaming,

Of all the forums I visit this one is unique as the Flames are confined to the campfire ring and thus it's one of the nicest places on the world wide wait... Many of us date back to the days of $$$ a minute connect tine so we don't waste a lot of time flaming,

Good to hear. I run a few unrelated forums and one of the hardest things to do is moderating them to keep 'em sane. Much respect to the admins/mods here.

Ray

This forum goes back to the days of Compuserve and most likely precedes RVLife. It is, very likely, the oldest RV forum on the internet.

Many of the moderators on iRV2 especially are not very tolerant of simple things like discussing best access to a State Park in the Camping Locations sub forum. I got a nastygram, and I do mean a rather curt, impolite (considering the "offense") message from them telling me to discuss this kind of thing in the Navigation Routes and Roads sub forum. Mine was a single post in a discussion about that particular park.

I still read and post in iRV2 but its fairly limited, mostly to reading to gather information that will help me.

Other RVLife forums such as Fiberglass, AirForums, and Escape are all moderated by very nice people.

I got gigged another time for recommending someone go to the forum for that particular brand of camper (I included the link in the text) and they said posting links to "competing forums" was a violation of the rules of use, so now I have to be rather vague and not post the URL in such a case.

I assume the OP is a member of Fiberglass RV - Powered by vBulletin ? Its more for less experienced folks restoring older eggs but there are all kinds on there. It almost should be renamed the FiberglassEgg forum and leave the larger glass campers to somewhere else.

Charles

Last edited:
Wowsers I'm glad to have found a forum that's been around since that long -- those days bring back fond memories. One of my sports forums started back in the early 90's as a mailing list then later GEnie online service and evolved to where it is today on the same software this forum uses.

I have checked out and registered at the Fiberglass forums too, will prowl there as well.

Thanks, Charles!
Ray

I got gigged another time for recommending someone go to the forum for that particular brand of camper (I included the link in the text) and they said posting links to "competing forums" was a violation of the rules of use, so now I have to be rather vague and not post the URL in such a case.

The forum I modded had this rule. It was weird because they had over 200k members with an average of 10k members online at any time. Not like they were gonna go out of business - LOL...

Of course they had/have premium pay for memberships so it was also about making money for them.

One has to consider the context of the "conversation" when reference is made to other "competing forums". If the reference appears to be strictly to generate traffic to for the "competing forum" then indeed, the moderators should clamp down.

If the referral is because I feel it is the best place for the OP to find the information they are looking for, then, in my way of thinking, it should be OK to make that referral.

If someone says they just bought a 2012 Winnebago View, I'm automatically going to give them the URLs to the Winnebago View forum on Groups.io and also the Sprinter forum. If they need specific information about their MH because it is a View, the view forum knows the peculiarities of that MH better than any where else on the internet. If they need specific Sprinter information, the Sprinter Forum is the very best place on the internet to seek the information. General camping info, RVForum is probably better than most unless the OP has some rather unusual needs. Ordinary stuff, forums such as this work well, specialized forums are for specialized problems or knowledge. (however, don't get me wrong.... there are some rather sharp and experienced folks on this forum who can solve some rather prickly problems, but if you are having issues with the rarest type of camper on the planet, possibly you need to go to the forum that supports that rare camper.

the-1930s-ford-model-a-house-car-was-fords-first-most-awesome-attempt-at-a-motorhome-thumbnail_13.jpg.webp

You don't send a Mercedes to an RV dealer to get repaired, and you don't send a Winnebago to a Mercedes dealer to get the coach worked on.

I have two principal goals to being on this, or any other forum, 1) to learn what I can, new things, and more about stuff I already know. and 2) to help people if I possibly can, especially to keep them out of the traps that I or others have fallen into in the past. I suppose its a feel good thing. If I can offer information and someone comes back and says that it worked well for them, then I feel good and am encouraged to help the next person.

Charles

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom