Electrical connectors under stove

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeG1867

I need help figuring out how these 4 wires connect . 3 yellow 1 white. 2 go to outlets, the one with a black rubber insulation and yellow connector I'm not sure what it is. and the black rubber with white connector is live with 120V

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_1660.jpg
    IMG_1660.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 40
I'm not clear what wires the "3 yellow 1 white" refer to. Is that the connector color? Or something else?  Nor do I see what needs to be connected to something, except perhaps what appears to be an LP gas line in the background.  Could you please explain further?

The white insulated wire at the top appears to be Romex (Type NM) cable, which typically has two conductors and a ground, all for 120v power.  I can't make out what wires are coming out of that connector - is it two blacks?

The connector colors are yellow and white. the white connector is 120V when hooked up to my house power. the 3 yellow conectors 2 romex and 1 black rubber heavy cable.

It seems like the cable with white connector should hook to something suppling 120V to the 3 yellow connectors. the romex go to outlets. not sure about the black cable with yellow connector.

I got the trailer dismantle so I don't have any idea how it looked before someone unhooked. Would there be a buss bar or some type of Y harness to hook them all together so 120V from the white connector would supply the 3 yellow connectors?

Sorry if I wasn't clear in the first post

Mike

Gary they all are 12/3 wire. The romex I know go to 2 different outlets. the black round rubber cable could go to my water heater not sure. and the round rubber cable with the white connector comes from the power center with 120V. I have connected the 2 romex to the 120v and the outlets work but can only connect one at a time.

I did not hook the other black cable since I'm not sure what it goes to yet. Just seems to me they all need something/device to be connected to for 120V to be supplied to the outlets and whatever the other black cable is?

The shore power cord connects to a load center (breaker box) that contains the 120v bus bar.  The individual branch circuits all start there.

I don't have a clue what those wires are for - there is no way to tell just looking at them.  And connectors come in all sorts of colors.
12/3?  That would be strange in a 120v system.  Are you sure it isn't 12/2 + Ground (one black, one white, and one green or bare)?

Yes it is Blk,Wht,Grn. It's marked 12/3 on the shething but has only the 3 wires including ground.

Are those style connectors standard in trailers?

Mike

I cannot see the snap together connection in the first picture.  Is it possible that an extra wire and connection is there in case of a dish washer or other appliance is an option.  It might be that the factory wiring provides the connection is that case.

Gary the cable with the white connector that is live with 120V seems to be like a main feed to the slide/kitchen area.

What I believe Im missing is a way or the part to connect it to the other 3 yellow conectors and supply 120V to the outlets and what ever the black cable goes to. Still trying to follow it so I know what it powers.

Im pretty handy and picked up this RV from a guy that gutted it to put a new floor in. He has passed away so I can't get the info on what went where. 

I have made some progress but this wiring has me stuck

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_1626.jpg
    IMG_1626.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1629.jpg
    IMG_1629.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1655.jpg
    IMG_1655.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1656.jpg
    IMG_1656.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 21
Thanks Gary & Bill for taking a look and helping. IMO determined so the info is out there somewhere I just have to find it or take the snap connectors of and mount a electrical box and make my connections in that. Would prefer to make it factory but the company is out of business and these forum groups are fantastic information sources.

I hope to contribute back with knowledge for someone in need.

Thanks again guys

Mike

Are those style connectors standard in trailers?
No.  RV manufacturers usually have wiring harnesses made up that will handle most of the models they produce.  Snap connectors, if any, are used to make it easier (quicker) for the assembly workers to route wiring or expand the harness for extra features, longer trailers, etc.  Wire nuts aren't much used because they don't stay together well with the vibration common to road travel, so they use a variety of other types of connectors to mate things up as needed. Even screw-type connections can get problematic after a few years of travel.

If you need to branch the circuit out from this point, install a junction box just as you would in a house.

Winnebago uses that type of connector in the slideouts. They also use the black flexible cord to go between the main body and slideouts.

I yanked the plug on a trailer across from me to stop the smoke from one of those connectors.  It was for attaching the slideout electrics and was done poorly.  Be sure to examine those things well.  If it were mine, I would look into making 120 volt connections inside a box.

Thanks Gary for your help. Im going to ask a local RV dealer if they have any idea of a part that would connect these 4 wires together.

If not I will wire it just like house wiring in a junction box and replace the romex with longer length so they all meet.

Thanks again I'm sure I will have further questions as I put this trailer back together.

If I understand, you bought a partially remodeled camper and you are trying to get it back together.  You are not sure where all these wires go.

I would start with determining which one is the main feed from the breaker box, then go out from there to see where they go and if the plugs / lights / WH work as expected.  You can rewire as needed from there.

Back
Top Bottom