Electrical Design - Have I missed anything?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Finn

I'm really close on a Keystone Laredo or Crossroads Cruiser 5th Wheel. Either way, here's my plan on an electrical system and I just want to post it for comment, criticism or even ridicule... I'm in NZ and we are 240v here but I'm not about to pull a new 5th wheeler apart to convert it to 240v and given we mostly plan on using it dry camping, I don't see the point of the conversion. Also, all NZ based electronic equipment we plan on using (LCD TV, Satellite TV, Laptop & phone chargers) all run on dual 240/120 voltage.

Here's my plan:

- Install 3 x 130 watt solar panels on the roof. (Kyocera)
- Solar controller
- 4 x 220ah 6v batteries to produce 12v 440ah. (Would like more ah but concerned about weight)
- 110v Xantrex RS2000 inverter/charger with auto switching
- 5000w 240v to 110v step down transformer (For on the rare occasion there is shore power available)
- 120v, 3000w Honda Eu3000is Generator (already purchased)

Installation:

- Fabricate an aluminum frame for the solar panels that provides 2 way pivoting (sun chaser)
- Build & install a battery box
- Install a switch / breaker between the batteries and inverter
- Remove the factory converter/charger
- Remove the factory 30amp shore power cable (Reinstall to step down transformer)
- Install inverter/charger and connect 120ac directly to the distribution box. Note: limited appliances ie. no air con.

Notes on use:

When on inverter, I obviously won't run air con or exceed 2000w.

So what do you think...

Finn,
Sounds like a pretty solid plan to me. If you're going to get a 5kW transformer and already have the EU3000, you may want to consider the RS3000 inverter instead. check HEREfor a good comparison between the two. For about $400 more (27%), you get 50% more power; both continuous and surge.

Karl said:
Finn,
Sounds like a pretty solid plan to me. If you're going to get a 5kW transformer and already have the EU3000, you may want to consider the RS3000 inverter instead. check HEREfor a good comparison between the two. For about $400 more (27%), you get 50% more power; both continuous and surge.

I thought about that Karl but a 3000w inverter will be overkill. I really only need it for TV/Sat/DVD/Microwave. I want to try and limit my AC usage for Boondocking. (How did you guys come up with that name?)

Tom said:
Finn,

It was derived from this.

Thanks.

Backward and unsophisticated? Hmmm, sitting in a recliner with a montecristo #2 in one hand and a cognac in the other, watching a movie in surround sound in a climate controlled environment doesn't sound too bad to me.

Does the Xantrek automatic changeover look at frequency when deciding to switch to shore power, or just voltage?  If it is frequency sensitive it may consider 50 Hz power out of spec and not change over to it.

What about it's charger?  Will it tolerate 50 Hz shore power?  Transformers have to be physically larger to function on lower frequency power.

Lou Schneider said:
Does the Xantrek automatic changeover look at frequency when deciding to switch to shore power, or just voltage?  If it is frequency sensitive it may consider 50 Hz power out of spec and not change over to it.

What about it's charger?  Will it tolerate 50 Hz shore power?  Transformers have to be physically larger to function on lower frequency power.

Grid power in NZ is 60 Hz. My Honda generator is also 60Hz so I don't see a problem here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom