Electrical Dog Bones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love your subject line!  I was picturing what an electrical dog bone might look like and what it might do to the poor doggie attacking it.  ;) ::) ;D  Sorry, I just couldn't resist!

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
I love your subject line!  I was picturing what an electrical dog bone might look like and what it might do to the poor doggie attacking it.  ;) ::) ;D  Sorry, I just couldn't resist!

ArdraF

You weren't the only one.

Sure it can be done, though I suggest using actual dog bone style adapters, not those small hockey puck 30 to 15 amp adapters.

It can be done, but a long term plan should be to acquire the proper adapters. Each connection is a potential point of failure, and adapters aren?t expensive.

Agree with Isaac-1.  The hockey pucks types tend to heat up if the amp load is near their limit (common when plugging a 50A rig into 15A outlet).  The bone type separates the receptacle from the plug by some distance and lets each shed heat more easily.

Thanks all!  I do have the dog bone type albeit the Walmart brand; 50 to 30; 30 to 15.  I've never seen the puck type but then again we're new to all of this. 

Isaac-1 said:
Sure it can be done, though I suggest using actual dog bone style adapters, not those small hockey puck 30 to 15 amp adapters.

Agreed... The only "puck" style adapter I occasionally use is a 20 amp female to 30 amp male adapter that I've used as an auxiliary source when there's a 30 amp outlet available but no 15/20 amp utility outlet.

A lot of things CAN be done.
But, SHOULD they?
One of my Electrical Engineering instructors, A former Air Force guy, had a name for that - "Kluge"

I think there is a gray area between practical use of standard adapters and "kluge".  A perfectionist with lots of money would no doubt have an adapter custom made for every situation. Even more likely, he would re-engineer every power pedestal so that no adapter at all was needed.  Those of us who are a little less OCD use standardized adapters, especially for temporary or occasional use.  ;)

Gary RV_Wizard said:
I think there is a gray area between practical use of standard adapters and "kluge".  A perfectionist with lots of money would no doubt have an adapter custom made for every situation. Even more likely, he would re-engineer every power pedestal so that no adapter at all was needed.  Those of us who are a little less OCD use standardized adapters, especially for temporary or occasional use.  ;)

:)) :)) :)) :D

Gary RV_Wizard said:

In my family, 'Kluge' was SOP
Only we called it "Georgia Engineering"

But, true. Expediency often overrides Extreme Caution. (you should see my current Electrical hook-up. Eh, it works ;) )

LarsMac said:
Expediency often overrides Extreme Caution.

I hear that.  A while back I was staying on site while volunteering at a railroad museum and replied to a post asking what was needed to power an RV at a house.

I revised my answer when it dawned on me that for the past week both my neighbor and I were managing quite nicely on 100 ft. orange extension cords running to the same 20 amp outlet.

Back
Top Bottom