Electrical issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I thought that is what was posted, hence my assumption that it was running on the chassis battery. I am wondering if it is some sort of electrically heated element as most defrosting is a water heat exchanger.
A lot of class A units have fans (for defrosting, perhaps no heat) that blow over the windshield -- under some conditions that big glass can frost up in a hurry. It's possible (but not certain) that that is what is meant.

That's correct everyone. After some investigation, the Aux Def - is in fact some fans that blow on the interior side of the windshield. I believe there are 4-5 directional vents.

I carry one of these in my tool bin. It's old school, no digital readout, doesn't interface with my phone but it works really well at telling me if my battery is good under load and if my alternator is charging properly. It's cheap, rugged and easy to use. It'll test house and chassis batteries and works on 6V or 12V. I once even used it as a volt meter to track down an open wire.

I have had the two new batteries in now for about 16-18 hours, and they are still checking 12.5 V with the engine off.

I did fire the engine up for an hour or so, and they were checking 14.-something (I don't remember exactly - it was last night)

I am annoyed that I don't have a Chassis Voltage display in the dash, so thanks for the tip about buying a plug in version. Great Idea - I will Amazon that as soon as I get home!

The saga continues on this one. We made it all the way home, parked it in front of the house overnight (off). Next day did some cleaning, started it up and took it to storage. That was about 2 weeks ago.

Today planned on bringing it home to do some maintenance - fixing some minor things we found on the trip. Went down to storage - completely dead chassis batteries.

When I parked it I DID shut off the two switches in the battery compartment. Which is what I did every time we drove it prior to the trip. We frequently let it sit for 2 weeks, and it always started right up. So I've got some unknown battery drain going on. If the switches in the battery compartment are shut off, shouldn't that have cut off ANY possible drain?

Regarding voltemters There are many types I have a digital plug in,, but you can also get little square ones that fit in a hole you need to cut wherevery you can wish dot come sells a lot made in china, they are actually rather good meters CHEEP may take a month or two to arrive Amazon sells much the same more expensive and Radio Shack dot com is back in business.

They also come in a round (Same size as a 12 volt accessory) outlet and a larger (Think oil pressure gauge) size and some of those you can get over the counter at the assorted incarnations of auto stuff is Us.

When I parked it I DID shut off the two switches in the battery compartment. Which is what I did every time we drove it prior to the trip. We frequently let it sit for 2 weeks, and it always started right up. So I've got some unknown battery drain going on. If the switches in the battery compartment are shut off, shouldn't that have cut off ANY possible drain?
Maybe not. A few things are often direct-wired to the chassis battery, e.g. entry steps and/or LP detector. Slides too, if you have them. Lead-acid batteries also self-discharge (albeit very slowly), so a weak battery may progress to "dead" over several days.

Maybe not. A few things are often direct-wired to the chassis battery, e.g. entry steps and/or LP detector. Slides too, if you have them. Lead-acid batteries also self-discharge (albeit very slowly), so a weak battery may progress to "dead" over several days.

Interesting Gary,

It so happens I also was having a problem with entry steps, so I was messing around down there - in fact I've got the electric motor completely disconnected - but I don't think that would cause a drain unless I induced some kind of short.

These were brand new batteries that were purchased while on our vacation (2-1/2 weeks ago).

I do have slide outs, however, they have not been moved since it's been parked - again, unless there is a problem with them and they're still pulling a load somehow.

You've given me some things to go look at - thank you!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlSpackler
Back
Top Bottom